Where Are The Off Limits Places Listed?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only "list" I can think of, that has ever been assembled, is one that the FMDAC collected many years ago. It's sort of similar to a book called "treasure laws of the united states", by a fellow whose last name was "Grim". But they only attempted to gather state-level and federal level owned lands. Because obviously county by county, and city by city, is impossible.

The result of the state-by-state inquiries (to the heads of park's dept's or whatever), years ago when those lists were compiled, often referred persons to much older (pre-dating metal detectors) cultural heritage wording. That is to say, the person answering the inquiry might have morphed other things to apply, since .... afterall .... you "might" find an old coin, or "might" be in a historically sensitive site. So often time, the easiest answer for the bureaucrat to give out, was "no" or "inquire at each kiosk you come to", etc.....

I remember when Grim's book (the first edition) came out, it was a surprise to some folks in our club, in the mid 1980s, when we read the citation about CA. Because the state level beaches and parks here had simply been detected since the dawn of time, and no one cared (it never occured to anyone that anything might be wrong, to begin with). And to this day, there are state parks and beaches here that you can still detect, and no one cares (as long as you're not being a nuisance in some other way). Thus I have my doubts about the data that was gathered. It may be the "technical answer", but often time, ........ well .... you know ::)

On city and county level, my practice is, that if it's not specifically dis-allowed, then no need to ask. I just go. Just bear in mind that we're in an odd-hobby that draws stares to the "guy with the geiger-counter", so a little common sense on where and when to go, goes without saying. Ie.: don't waltz through a park during the middle of an archaeologist convention, etc...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each city is different. They make there own rules about detecting. some will not allow it some will. If you are wondering about a park in your city go on the web and check to see i there is park rules. So places will have signs where you drive in at. You just have to check and make sure you understand the laws in your area......Matt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"Each city is different. They make there own rules about detecting."

Yes. Or more commonly, their park's dept and city code, simply has nothing at all that mentions "metal detecting". Ie.: it is silent on the issue. If so, then so be it. No need to ask further, any more than thinking you need to "ask" if you can fly a frisbee or not. If it's not dis-allowed, then so be it :icon_thumleft:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scroll down the home page of the forum and look for your state listing and browse the various catagories like "Legal Issues" or just under the general discussion for your locality. You may find some pointers there.

Al

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chuck:
Welcome to Treasure Net.
I suggest you do your own due diligence regarding where you wish to TH/MD. Citing some article in a magazine or expressing the opinion of others will be of little value to your defense if you're 'caught' MD-ing in a forbidden-by-law area.
Don....

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that has worked for me is make friends with the city workers that do the clean up lawn cutting etc. They've given me better info than I've gotten from the city offices. I carry sodas with me on most park hunts. A few times I've offered the guys a soda, and they've remembered me & have given me some good leads and a clear definition of what will or won't get me in trouble. I've had the chance to meet the Park Rangers in the three cities close to me. All three times the first meeting with them I've had a lot of dug trash in my pouch. They appreciated me picking up surface trash along with the dug trash. I have business cards from all three cities with their info. The only problem I ever had was with a bitchy lady from a neighborhood watch who called the cops, as she was calling I was calling the Ranger I had made friends with. He showed up before the cop. Didn't have to say a word, he defended me praised my efforts to pick up trash. The cop didn't even get out of the car & the Ranger pretty much told the lady very politely she should shut up and go home. I still think the best info you can get is from the Rangers or Parks People they have a better grip on the real world & usually are the ones dealing with wrongdoers. BTW if you see tagging or vandalism report it! Geeze! they treat you like some kind of a hero (even with a detector in your hand).

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
boogeyman said:
One thing that has worked for me is make friends with the city workers that do the clean up lawn cutting etc. They've given me better info than I've gotten from the city offices. I carry sodas with me on most park hunts. A few times I've offered the guys a soda, and they've remembered me & have given me some good leads and a clear definition of what will or won't get me in trouble. I've had the chance to meet the Park Rangers in the three cities close to me. All three times the first meeting with them I've had a lot of dug trash in my pouch. They appreciated me picking up surface trash along with the dug trash. I have business cards from all three cities with their info. The only problem I ever had was with a bitchy lady from a neighborhood watch who called the cops, as she was calling I was calling the Ranger I had made friends with. He showed up before the cop. Didn't have to say a word, he defended me praised my efforts to pick up trash. The cop didn't even get out of the car & the Ranger pretty much told the lady very politely she should shut up and go home. I still think the best info you can get is from the Rangers or Parks People they have a better grip on the real world & usually are the ones dealing with wrongdoers. BTW if you see tagging or vandalism report it! Geeze! they treat you like some kind of a hero (even with a detector in your hand).

exactly, these people(rangers, park workers,etc.) are actually in the real world and see what goes on unlike someone sittin behind a desk lookin thru the "rule book", often times the workers will point ya to the older sections or give ya good tips where ta hunt. plus its a big bonus having them on your side when someone calls the cops.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Look up locals who metal detect, as deepskyal points out, you may find some in the states forums.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traverdog said:
Stay away from national parks.

In all federal parks, all US Parks, and historical sites and monuments there is No metal detecting allowed! You could be arrested for just having a metal detector in your car in a national park. About two-thirds of the states have some type of restrictive park rules for the state parks.

In some parks, they will allow you to search but you have to pay $$ and you get a permit. In other state parks, for instance the historical State Park, they just say "no." It varies tremendously. About two-thirds of the states have some sort of regulation varying from "absolutely no" to "yes, you can metal detect hunt at this time.

In general it is best to ask if you're going into a state park, ask if metal detecting is allowed. Most cities in the US have no restrictions on metal detecting other than restrictions on vandalism; don't destroy property.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal experience. One ranger will interpret the laws/rules different than another. Some will say you're OK doing what you're doing but another ranger may come by an hour later and say NO NO NO!

Like Goodyguy & Traverdog said, It's better to stay out of National parks. There's a million places to search that won't put you in danger of losing your equipment & life savings in fines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread