Question about Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100

T

tmbz

I am new to this and really am strapped for cash being a college student but I can get a Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 for 41.00. Now I know it's low end but have heard good stuff about it, it says depth at 6 inches.. Thats not alot but I also was told the depth is only to positively ID it that it will pick stuff up deeper but won't be accurate on what it is...

Is this true?

Also any feedback on the unit in general?

Not sure If I'll like this hobby but Im intriqued and want to give it a try.

Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
TMBZ,

I have the next one up from that which is the 2200. I have found all kinds of things on my property ranging from square nails to recent coins (1954 nickel is the oldest so far). I see that Radio Shack brought the prices WWWWAAAAYYYY down from the time I got mine (which was only a few weeks ag). I'm a little peeved because I could have gotten the 3300 and batteries for the price I paid for the 2200!

Anyway, I know what your saying about wanting to try it out first. I always wanted to detect and the wife let me get one. That is why it was a Radio Shack version......NO BASHING PLEASE ;) What most people will tell you is that you need to learn the machine and the way to do that is to just go out there and start searching. Sure your going to dig up junk, but you will also dig up coins and other things. It will be fun at times and it will definately be tiring. Just make sure that you read these forum messages and get tips and pointers from the more experienced people that post here. They are here to help people like you and me to have the best experience out of detecting that we can get. If you can swing a few more dollars, I would try the 2200 or even if you can get to the price of the 3300, that would be best to start. There are some better manufactured machines like the Ace 250 by Garrett or another one by White's but to start out in ahobby that you are not sure if you would like it or not, stick with something that will teach you about this hobby and hopefully make it more appealing to you so you will want to get a better machine. Who know's with the change you will find with the R.S. one, you could probably save for one of the more expensive ones. That's my goal right now. I was given permission by the police to search the city parks, the school superintendent gave me permission to search the city schools, and a church by my house gave me permission to search a HUGE area of land that they own. Perhaps the administrators at your college will allow you to detect the grounds there. That should get you alot of experience (and coins) to figure out whether or not you want to keep detecting. I know I do!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post and good luck on your detecting travels. Keep us posted on what you find and what you experience.

Happy Hunting.

Funkman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand your reluctance to spending more money for a better machine when you don't know if you will like the hobby. However trying to use a "detector" that doesn't operate correctly or be steady electronically is a recipe for dissatisfaction. So long as you understand you are handicapping yourself, go ahead and learn and when you are ready you can purchase a better detector. Many hunters here have high opinions of which detector is "best." The truth is you will want one that is best for you. Deeper isn't always better when you dig up a buried #9 bird shot form 12 inches.

Don't be self consous about what people might thing of you while detecting. Personally I try to look like a deranged dork so mothers will call their kids away from me so I can detect is peace. LOL :D

Sandman

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I used to own a 2200 and I used a 1100 before you will do a lot of digging with a 1100 or 2200 they are a bit hard pinpoint for newbies. You will dig a lot of bottle caps and pull tabs too. I just picked up a 3300 at Radio Shack today because they are on close out at 111.99 I think. It is a way better machine it has a built in pin pointer and lot more accuracy. I just did my back yard so far but I found 66 cents that I had missed using my 2200 because there was iron trash near the coins.

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
"DITTO......SANDMAN, I think you have pinpointed the nail on the head......so to speak........whatever your swinging, you will have both good and bad days. Hopefully your interest will be peaked enough to keep you in it like all us other detector junkies.....looking forward to future finds tmbz......gregd573

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread