Permission without them thinking its theirs

montypyfly

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Permission without them thinking it's theirs

I have only been doing this for about five months, but every time I ask permission from homeowners in this old neighborhood, I get a lot of "Sure"s, but they all seem to think everything I dig up is theirs.

I tried mentioning to a few before I started that what I find will be mine, and then the deny my detecting.

Then I tried a few saying I would split anything of value over $100 (Knowing that was pretty safe bet :-) )

One out of three agreed to that, but then he said he wanted the ring I found.

How do you get these people to let you detect, but not expect you to hand over what you find?

Upvote 0

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Re: Permission without them thinking it's theirs

that would just ruin my day if i detected an old house and found a few clad coins and a nice seated half and the homeowner takes the seated half....there really isn't a good way to split the finds. i don't sell my old coins, i just keep them for my collection and cant really put a price on a coin that i find. insted of taking that risk i'd rather either stash the seated half in my "other pocket" or just not hunt that property. its not like the homeowner ever knew that coin existed in his yard anyway.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DavidRamey said:
If you don't like the idea of returning their property to them when you find it because you don't swing your detector for your health, then find another hobby and stop hurting our hobby with your greed.

Your way out of line. If a person where greedy they wouldn't spend several hundred dollars on a detector just to find clad. And if someone spent the time to research an area and then gain permission to hunt it - I don't think thats greed. Several property owners where happy when I shared the history that I discovered about their property. I don't see that as hurting our hobby.

And if the land owner doesn't say anything about splitting the finds then the good stuff goes home with me and I thank them many times over.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I have given away plenty of silver including barber stuff and IH's and LC's and rings to the lawn owners. And plenty of hearty handshakes and "thank you's". Looking forward to my next yard search. It's a low stress gig.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't hunt private property i don't hunt any were i need permission or have to give up any amount of my finds.....

Attachments

• addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 1,901

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom of CA about summed it up properly. The property you have permission to hunt is for your enjoyment. If you find anything you can show it to the land owner if you want because it is really theirs. However what you decide to do with the stuff is up to you. I can't say a 50-50 split is always OK, as many times I got to keep it all. Many land owners are only interested out of curiosity.

As for the example of taking a deer on a land owners property, it is respectful to offer some of the meat to the owner, game birds too. It insures you an invite to return, cause you knew you didn't find it all.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

offering is one thing, the homeowner wanting it all or cherry picking the best finds is another.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

19Blockhead64 said:
Lowbatts said:
JoelB said:
I am sorry but I do not agree with the "two-pocket" theory. Be honest and your finds will increase accordingly.
Ditto
I respect your honesty.
But I have to ask.
So if you found a gold ring with a huge rock on it or maybe a 1700's coin you wouldn't think about slipping it in the other pocket?
What if they where renters would you feel diffrent?
If you hadn't come along it very well could of never been found and lost forever.

Perhaps ... but it still dont make you the rightful owner.
Private property is just that ... someone owns it all ... even the mineral rights.
For you to agree to do one thing then find something valuable and hide it so you can keep it is stealing.
If you want to be a thief that is your choice.
Go ahead and stick it into another pocket ... who will ever know.
You dont even need to think up excuses for justifying your actions ... if that is the way you are ... just do it.
Then you can post photos of it on the forums bragging about what you found and how slick you are.

I will not sell my self esteem and integrity for some stupid piece of jewelry or an old coin regardless of its value.
I would sell my detectors first.
But I know there are some here that feel differently. (the pirates creed)
My metal detecting friends are like me and would not knowingly steal, cheat, or keep something that belonged to someone else.
If they did they would not be my friend for very long.

Today's trend is to blur the line between right and wrong.
You see it happening everywhere.
But there are still a lot of us that still know the difference.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

19Blockhead64 said:
dogpound said:
thats why my pants have 2 pockets....good stuff in one pocket and junk in the other, guess which one the homeowner gets ::)

Hate to admit it but thats why I have two pockets also.

Yes ... I can see how you would hate to admit that in public ... but you both did.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

thats why i choose to not hunt properties where the homeowner wants to cherry pick. if you don't mind possibly giving your good finds away thats great. your right it is the homeowners right to keep anything ya find and its also my right to pass on that property.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

i think that a honest 50 / 50 split with the land owner is fair -- i say the "land owner" has got the land thats true --but on the other hand --- i bought the equiptment , spent time honing my detecting skills and do "all" the work (labor) to get the stuff out the ground -- and that my freinds is worth something *-- if they want it all* --fine let them buy a detector and get "their" stuff all for themselves --as the spanish saying goes -- "nada por nada , nada por amore" --nothing for nothing -nothing for love (free)---in other words -- to get something ,you gotta givea little something in return -- basically those that give stuff to others while getting nothing at all in exchange are viewed as "saps" by the general public at large .

do a coins "pick" -- all coins are displayed --owner gets first pick --then you back and forth till they are gone * -- gold coins are 50 / 50 if only 1 is found.

jewelry -- if their "missing" family jewelry --tell me what is "before" hand --if found its theirs 100 %-- however non "family" lost items recovered -- 50 / 50 split of value of item

large caches of money --50/50 split

this is fair to both sides --and its honest as well .

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: Permission ... and the payoff ...

I have hunted a lot of Private Properties over the years.
I always tell the property owners that I will show all my finds to them.
I also tell then that the coins I find I expect to keep but if I happen to find a piece of jewelry or other such personal personal property
it is theirs if they want it.
This agreement usually meets with the owners approval and I have returned many lost personal family items over the years.
It is a pleasure to see the look on their faces when they realize that the ring I just found in their yard was lost by one of their deceased relatives.
They are so happy to get it back that they often invite me back and even send me to their friends to hunt their property.

Honesty pays folks ... dont doubt it for one second.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2

I was thinking of offering all jewelry but I keep all coins, tokens or relics.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Excuse my French, but only a fool would dig a target with the homeowner or any of his family standing behind you.

When I leave a person's property I leave finds behind for them before even being asked. I always make sure they get a nice handful of memorials, clads, some junk including pulltabs and my thanks. Face value, they always get more than I. If you can't figure that out, shame on ya.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't do greedy people well.

Like I said, I generally make peanuts for my 64 year knee abuse in terms of actual cash value. Hence my moniker.

I have donated hours of my time to finding rings and lost precious items for folks, even strangers, and I am enthusiastic about it. I really enjoy it. I work for hugs & smiles, and to find stuff.

But - if I thought I'd have to split the $1.37 with the landowner, I wouldn't ask in the first place.

When I ask permission, if I notice the slightest hesitation, I just back off and don't hunt there. I can usually read a person in half a heart beat. There's lots of places to hunt.

I will very often give them stuff that I find, but I figure it is my call. What the He!! kind of person would want the $1.37 that the poor schmuck took all afternoon to find? What do I do with the stuff I find? Why, buy batteries with the clad, and put the rest of it in a jar. I'll bet I'm not alone. I carry a 50 cent walker because I like them, but I didn't find it.

I realize that everyone has a different makeup and self rules, and respect that. To each their own, except the greedy and sanctimonious.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

well first off its theirs --no thinking its theirs --it simply is * its a matter of fact -- the real issue iyou are putting forth is actually --how can i get the both the legal OK needed to hunt their land and still keep everything I find in the process? -- now who wants it "all" ? -- you want to go on others folks land that they pay the upkeep and taxes on for "free" and take anything you find that you want -- does this sound fair to you? --if so let me know your address -- since I'm sure you would go for that deal on your own land --fair is fair -- some folks will let you hunt "free" very nice of them -- but with most a deal might need to be struck -- once a deal is struck --stick to it --no monkey bussiness / two pocket dealing stuff --a man that makes a deal and screws others by not sticking to it --is just a thief and a lair * plain and simple * -- no coin or jewelry bobble is worth my word of honor.

you are born with both -- honor and self respect --- no man / woman can take it from you--- only you can dishonor yourself by foul actions and deeds -- honor once sold can not be bought back -- you can unring a bell

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

"no coin or jewelry bobble is worth my word of honor. "

No need to tell you what we already know but..you are a good man. :coffee2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

like I said -- only you can dishonor you - and thus bring shame and disrespect upon yourself.

one can lie and put up a "front" to others , but both you and god will always know what you did, when no one else was watching.

a honorible man will do the right thing when no one but him and god will know otherwize.

remember --death before dishonor --words to live and die by

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II

One way to do it is to make up an agreement, signed by both parties.

I did this many times, with a stipulation in the contract...the landowner gets the first keeper, I get the next, and so on.

This system worked for me!

Larry G. :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

that is a great system --honest and fair to both parties :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with TOM, Sandman, and Indianhead Jones among others......First it is THEIR property if the owner of the property (not the renter) wants something it legally belongs to them....

I am primarily a beach hunter, but I have asked and hunted private property and presentation is the key...How do they respond to your request? I usually ask "I would like to hunt your property sometime", if they say sure, I ask if I happen to come on a Saturday and your not home do I still have your permission, telling them my hobby is metal detecting, telling them I enjoy finding what is buried and trying to guess what it is before I recover it. (truth) I go on to tell them it one of the ways I get excercise.

Most people I have asked said no problem, anytime. If someone asks what do I do with the good finds I tell them "it is up to them. We can split it 50/50 and you get first choice, then alternate on the picks, or I will keep it and carry away the nails, screws, broken glass, rusty wire, junk and trush I find as well" .... <--- This helps a lot, "someone is cleaning my yard for free!"

So far I have never had anyone ask for anything I have found.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread