Depth of coins????

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I know the answers to this question will vary greatly due to various soil conditions, etc. but I am hoping to get enough anwsers to see sort of an average response; ok...here goes:

At what depth in a normal field or lawn do you find coins which are 50+ years old?

In my yard in SW VA I find coins from the 70's at three inches. I found a jar lid from the 30's or earlier at 9". The chances of my MD detecting a coin at that depth are slim to none.

Upvote 0

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I found a 1902 Barber dime (my oldest) in a park in Lubbuck, TX, in the rain, at about 7 inches. If it had not been raining all day, I doubt I would have found it.

Cal

S

skillet

Tough Question....

Where I hunt, I look for silver to be found in the 4.5 - 6" range... but this isn't set in stone; I have found clad 6" deep and silver VERY shallow.

My oldest, a badly tarnished 1868 shield nickel, was virtually lying on the surface of the ground in a long-vacant lot where a turn-of-the century blacksmith shop used to sit.

My deepest SMALL coin was a 1953 Mexican "one Centavos" coin at 5.5-6".
May not seem too deep, but the coin is smaller than a dime. This was with my Garrett 1000 and 8.5" coil. The coin read low on the meter but repeated well. I was hunting for jewelry around a 50+ yr old swimming pool.

Machines with manual ground-balance will go deeper than my 1000 with its 'factory-set' ground balance, but on deep targets, I dig those solid signals regardless of what my ID meter says!

Best Regards,
Skillet

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
Here in Iowa the older coins can be from 1 inch to over 10 inches. The deepest coin I have personally dug was a V nickel at 9 3/4 mearsured to coin imprint in the dirt at the bottom of the hole. I know there are coins deeper than that here. My Cortes and DeLeon just aren't getting them. Silver dimews are common in the 7 to 8 inche range here. I am switching to the new Tesoro Tejon to see if I can get some of those deeper ones, that are just out of reach.

Doug-Iowa
DJs Detectors

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
When searching in grassy areas (in MD, PA, NY), meaning mowed lawns, I usually find most of the silver is 4 or more inches deep. 5 or 6 inches seems common for a silver dime. My deepest find was a silver Washington quarter at 8." In the woods or on hard rocky ground, the coins are often not quite so deep. I find plenty of silver anywhere from surface finds down to about 6" in wooded areas. One memorable find was a 1914-D barber dime just laying on top of the ground.

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Thanks everyone for your replies! I hope to get some more; please mention what type of detector you use.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a white's spectrum. Our old finds in San Diego are usually from 1/2" to 5" max with an average depth of 1.5".Water damage on the older coins in the southwest isn't as bad, but we severly lack in coins younger than about 1860.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My CZ-20 has found silver coins in Los Angeles area parks on the surface to about 6" down. Many of these had been churned up by gophers, evidenced by the dirt piles. I suspect these were deep and therefore previously undetectable-- most of these parks are pretty thoroughly hunted, though I dug a very nice Merc at 6" that had never been disturbed.

I have also heard a report of someone with a White's XLT finding a Standing Liberty quarter along with a Buffalo nickel (stacked) at about 9".

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Northern Illinois, common ground mixture with Fisher CZ 7, 1923 Buffalo at 8 inches, identified and repeatable, never got any other nickel that deep that clearly id'd as a nickel. For some reason all the other buffs I get more than two inches deep read as foil. V nickels and clad do not do this. Cannot explain this.
Same park, 1916 wheat at 11 inches with a CZ 5, only other cent I dug at that depth was incorrectly id'd as iron by a White's user, but there was a nail an inch away at that depth.
Same park again, a 1940 rosie at 7 inches with the CZ 5, deepest dime I've found yet that was clearly id'd.
That said, I've found older deeper coins, the deepest a SL QRTR @ 14 inches using "iffy" id, but targets are not accurately id'd below a certain depth. This is especially true in any environment where any trash is present.
Did find a gold ear post with a amythest at 3 inches with my 1235X, but that little booger (the 1235X) finds EVERYTHING..... That's why I only use it at park playgrounds and midwestern sand beaches.

Thonolan

Mar 20, 2003
Port Huron, MI
Here in Port Huron, MI, most of my older coins have been found at 5 to 8 inches deep. I have noticed that large coins (such as a half dollar or British penny) tend to be much shallower.

I use an old Fisher 1235-x.

bulltab

Jun 30, 2003
i dug an 1889 ihc at 8 inches one time,i almost quit digging. but a good thing i didnt mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions