Help with Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS

velocityboy

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2004
Hey everyone ;D,
I've been reading the forum for the last month or so and last week I finally bit and picked up a used Master Hunter 7 for $100. It's in good shape, I've only been out hunting once for about 45 minutes and came away with a cotter pin, some foil, a few hunks of iron, and two shiny, shiny dimes. I'm still going through the manual Garrett has online, but was wondering if any of you have used this model detector before and could offer me any tips?

Thanks, HH
-Brian

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
keep the disc down where it will pickup nickels. test by throwing one on ground and passing coil over it.
Make sure you know how to properly ground balance it and always start your hunt by ground balancing.
Keep threshold just audible and use headphones. Other knobs can be placed at V arrows on dial.
Note has bell-tone for coins and tone is esp. good on silver coins.
Good luck!

OP
OP
V

velocityboy

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks Ocean7
I should be able to get back out Monday or Tuesday, spending the weekend in Boston for the parade ;D
I'm sure I'll have a few more questions then. I'm planning on putting together a small test bed in the backyard, maybe 4 items a foot apart. I'm thinking a nail, a nickel, and I'm not sure what else. How have others put these things together?

Also, the detector takes a whopping 6 9v batterries. I'm told by Garrett that there used to be a rechargable sled for this model but it's no longer offered. Any ideas where I could find one of these? I've priced 6 rechargable 9v batteries and a charger that can fit them all at one time (who has time for swapping batteries 3 times before every hunting trip) and it's quite pricey.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well actually the recharge pack contained 4 "9-volt" rechargeable batteries. Ole Charlie got enough power out of them to handle the MH7. But the other pack requires 6 "9-volt" as you stated. Garrett no longer carries the rechagreable 4 pack system. Have no idea where you'd find them either.

Sure coin test beds - pulltab, alum. top, crown cap top, crushed alum. can, .50, .25, .10, .5, .1, nail and then nail next to .10, pulltab next to .25 etc. Have a couple coins deeper than others but within detectors capability to detect.

Yeah quite pricey - that's why Garrett went to 8 'C' cells like everyone else. Still you have one of the best detectors Garrett ever made and most versatile. You can connect a two-box system to that detector and find caches up to 6 feet in the ground or oil tanks etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread