Frequency and Depth ??

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
Now i hear that the higher frequency like 15 , 17 kHz ect will not go as deep as the lower ones like 3 or 7 kHz........... but Garrett and fisher and other ones with the higher frequency say they get as much depth as the lower ones average 8 inches could be 10 or 11 inches is that really possiable ???

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Brian, That gov. super detector is real but huge. It is installed in a ship that is charting underwater mineral deposits. I think maybe it is locating other things also.
There are many ways to increase dept. I am basically a cache hunter so I take the easy way out to find deep large items. Most caches I have found were at about the 2' level. I have two 2-Box detectors. They get the dept by separating the coils by several feet. The circuits are simple and may even be considered crude by modern standards I don't need discrimination because they won't pick up surface trash. From what I have found, I would estimate they would find a pirate's chest at over 8'. My other regular detectors top out at 2'.
So I guess the name of the game is," what are you looking for?" Frankn

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I heard the detector that lost funding then regained it wasn't a huge design but wasn't for deep minerals either and only (only !) worked to two or three times the depth of a standard handheld (non hoardhunter) detector.
I think NASA Tom published something on this.

I hunt hoards and cannon as large targets down to small hammered silver coins. Nothing covers these extremes successfully though some pulse hoardhunters now are better than they were for sensitivity with small coils and can triple the depth of Whites/C-Scope and Discovery two boxers when used with the large two person coils. With the pulse you do have the advantage of ferrous discrimination if required (subject to the target being fist sized or above).

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Brian, I really think dept is over emphasized. Most of the targets that I go after have been hastily buried. That is 2' or less of fill on top of them. I use the 2Box units because they don't react to small trash which would drive me crazy in some areas. If I think some of the target has spilled or dropped, I will finish with my old XLT. Now if I was out on the islands looking for an old Jap hoard, I would use a GPR.
Now it is true that the old 2Box units just don't work in salty sand so I use my PI in those hunts.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most new detectorists can get any old dept. store detector and get good depth. Good depth to them may be 3 inches which can be reached with most dept. store detectors. I would not recommend a dept. store detector for anyone who does not think that 3'' is a good depth. However, if you have never owned another detector then by all means get a dept. store detector and the depth won't really be an issue.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, i have read the posts and i have athought on the depth of a detector. My first detector was from fingerhut, pd 59.99 for it. depth i hit targets dime size at 12" with it. next i bought a bh 101, i hit targets at 24'', zinc caps from ball jars. Now i own a ace 250 and i have noticed that the slower i swing the deeper it hits, case in point, last summer i was hunting a beach thats 6 blks from my house , i go there each sunday morning every week at around 6 am. i hunt in a pattern from a sidewalk down to the beach, if i work slow i dig more and deeper targets. this fall i worked it very very slow, finally hit wheaties at 12.5 '' in places i have been over alot. i also found near the waters edge at 22'' a black hills gold ring, size 6. But again i was swinging very very slow. i probably went over these hits a hundred times as when i go on sundays its to find what the people lost during the week. But come fall i slow down and do a swing pattern that overlaps each swing. so i think yes the way a detector processes is a factor, i also think that the way you swing, how fast you swing and the LEVEL of your coil determines the depth it goes. just my thought, but it works.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Rookie2 said:
Most new detectorists can get any old dept. store detector and get good depth. Good depth to them may be 3 inches which can be reached with most dept. store detectors. I would not recommend a dept. store detector for anyone who does not think that 3'' is a good depth. However, if you have never owned another detector then by all means get a dept. store detector and the depth won't really be an issue.
Well i think you are wrong i think all VLF detectors will get about the same depth give or take a inch.... With the right setting and in the same type of soil.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
heartslayer2001 said:
Hmmm, i have read the posts and i have athought on the depth of a detector. My first detector was from fingerhut, pd 59.99 for it. depth i hit targets dime size at 12" with it. next i bought a bh 101, i hit targets at 24'', zinc caps from ball jars. Now i own a ace 250 and i have noticed that the slower i swing the deeper it hits, case in point, last summer i was hunting a beach thats 6 blks from my house , i go there each sunday morning every week at around 6 am. i hunt in a pattern from a sidewalk down to the beach, if i work slow i dig more and deeper targets. this fall i worked it very very slow, finally hit wheaties at 12.5 '' in places i have been over alot. i also found near the waters edge at 22'' a black hills gold ring, size 6. But again i was swinging very very slow. i probably went over these hits a hundred times as when i go on sundays its to find what the people lost during the week. But come fall i slow down and do a swing pattern that overlaps each swing. so i think yes the way a detector processes is a factor, i also think that the way you swing, how fast you swing and the LEVEL of your coil determines the depth it goes. just my thought, but it works.
Now you see that is probably why Minelabs get good depth ........You have to swing them slow............

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Heartslayer, I think you should invest in a new ruler.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rofl, new ruler?? no , i just know what i found and how deep they were. Truth is better than lies. sorry but i have had the depth question on my mind for some time and seeing i couldn't find an answer i decided to test this for myself. It seems with new batteries and yes a new ruler, these were the depths i was finding stuff at. Its a matter of trying nes and different things. And i have found the slower you swing the more likely you will hit deeper targets. Regardless of all that i enjoy detecting and to find deeper objects i tried different things. I will say this, when i dug the lid at 24'' i thought could it be the jar with coins??? lol , but no just another lid. in fact there were 5 lids stacked on top of each other.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
A gold ring at 22" with a Ace 250? It should hit a silver dollar at four feet.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Heartslayer, I don't know about the 250 but some detectors have ad jestable pulse rates which allow you to detect faster. If that detector detects as deep as you say it does contact Garrett and let them know. They will pay you a handsome sum for it.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, seems people have a hard time with this 22'' ring i found, it was at a beach, right on the waters edge. i don't suppose you all can tell me what is the max depth you think a detector goes?? now i am not talking guessing, or tales, the detector you use what IS THE MAX depth you have gotten down to????? i know what had to do to dig, i guess next year i will have to shoot a video when finding past the 6 or 9'' depth i am hearing that is the max depth for most detectors.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
At what distance does this powerful Ace 250 detect the same ring in the air?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
First off, there have been people that posted that salt water had an adverst effect on the pickup power of their 250's.
I know my Surfmaster PI will go 2' for a license plate because I have found one at 2', but the deepest diamond ring that I have found at the oceans edge is 18" and it will find coins in black sand. Now the deepest gold ring that I have found with my XLT was an estimated 10" I say estimated because I did not actually measure it. My XLT has found an ax head at a measured 13". That ax was in the ground for 200 years, so it was a very large target to the detector. People get skeptical when they hear claims beyond what is considered normal for a certain model, But maybe you lucked out and came up with one that was super tuned.

pcollins

Jan 31, 2009
I have also found things in the sand very much deeper than my machine will air test. I have pulled coins out of wet sand reaching in the hole with my fingertips, up to my shoulder. about 24 inches. I have done this with bounty hunters even. And no the targets did not fall back into the hole as it was getting deeper. The wet sand holds together pretty well and I have done this over and over. Now in regular soil, no way have I even got close to these depths. I have come to the conclusion that an air test is not the best possible depth a machine will get. I believe wet sand conducts a signal and amplifies it better than air. I am not talking about wet salt sand. I believe the guy that said he was getting 22 inches in the sand. Regular soil absorbs the signal and depth drops fast, some paces i cannot get 8 inches.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just cut a coin size disc out of ply or plastic. Drill a hole through the centre. String with marked depths in inches through the hole then knot. I then glue over the knot to be safe.
Drop the ring you want to test down the string so it sits on the disc then take to the beach and bury in dry sand or liquid wet. As the wet sand dries out with the tide retreating pull the string until you have a set number of marked inches out of the sand so you know how deep the ring is. This also levels the ring out so it should be giving the maximum surface to the coil.
Then get out your P.I./BBS/FBS or whatever and be prepared to feel ill.

I do similar with coins but the coin placed into an old camera filter case.

Use at least two detectors of the same model and you have a rough idea of what you can really achieve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions