1800s Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
1800's Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

This is not a pleasant story, and I thought long and hard about posting it, but it was a hard lesson learned for me, and perhaps it will serve to convince others to avoid making the same stupid mistake that I did.

I want to assure everyone at the outset that this story is absolutely true...no lies, no embellishment. But you'll have to take my word for it.

It's about a spectacular coin purse spill recovered, and one of the most frightening days of my life.

It happened in the summer of 1986, with my detecting buddy Ken, who just passed away a few weeks ago from leukemia.

Ken had been laid off from his job, and was collecting unemployment insurance, and one Monday morning, I took a ride with him to the next town while he picked up his unemployment check. We were going to do some detecting later that day.

We arrived at the unemployment office, and I decided to take a short walk while he waited his turn in line. The town itself was, and still is, an economically-depressed, high-crime, low-income medium-size town, with a very high unemployment rate. The town went into receivership after the arrests and convictions of the Mayor and other city officials after a major corruption scandal, involving stolen city funds along with police corruption. I think you get the picture.

I walked up the street to get a cup of coffee, and as I stood outside the coffee shop, just up the street the town's original burial ground was in view. I walked over to check it out, and was horrified, to say the least at what I saw. The small cemetary, about a block square, was totally vandalized....it's ornate iron fencing torn down in places, and the entire cemetary was defaced with spray-painted graffiti, littered with liquor bottles, beer cans and other garbage, and headstones toppled and broken. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing...it was a sickening sight.

When I met up with Ken again, I took him over to see what I had seen. I then got an idea that I would come to regret.

I told him that we could possibly detect the cemetery and maybe find some old coins, as it dated back to the 1600's, but also, we could bring garbage bags with us and clean up garbage at the same time, try to right the headstones, and do whatever else we could to try and give the residents of this once-beautiful burial ground some of their dignity back. The detecting would take a back seat to the cleanup effort.

So, we set the rules: We would ONLY detect the common areas of the cemetary, and stay clear of the actual grave sites. And we would ONLY do this after we picked up as much trash and garbage as possible. It was going to take more than one day to do all this, so we decided on the first trip to pick up trash and right the headstones, and do a few minutes of detecting afterward to see if there were treasures to be found in the common areas, such as the perimeter of the fence-line, and the walking paths that criss-crossed the common areas. If it panned out, we would come back for a second trip to pick up more trash, fix headstones, and do some more detecting.

We arrived back the next Saturday morning, got out the trash bags and started to work. In a few hours, we had filled four trash bags, and had righted a section of headstones, and gathered pieces of broken stones to try and match them up. We were exhausted, so we decided to spend a short time detecting the common areas away from the actual grave sites, and hopefully find some very old coins.

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING IS VERY GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING! DON'T READ ON IF YOU ARE EASILY FRIGHTENED OR UPSET!

I started working a path around the perimeter, close to the iron fencing surrounding the cemetery. Ken started at the main gates, which also had been torn up by the vandals described earlier. I quickly found a few silver coins from the 1930's, and I realized that our hard work earlier was going to be rewarded.

I had just centered another signal which was reading in the silver range, when all of a sudden the sound in my headphones quit. I was using a Whites 6000/Di Pro, and thinking my batteries were dead, I was about to open the compartment to check them. I was shocked to discover that all the knobs on the detector were turned all the way to the minimum setting, and the main power knob was switched all the way off. This was very disturbing, and I wondered how I could have accidentally hit all 6 knobs to their minimum settings, and actually switch off the detector at the same time.

I switched the detector back on, reset all the knobs, and ground balanced again. My threshold hum came back, and everything seemed normal again, so I continued to dig the target, which turned out to be a Standing Liberty quarter...a beauty that looked almost uncirculated, and even had much of it's mint luster. I pushed on, knowing that more silver was sure to be found.

After a few minutes more, the threshold hum again disappeared, and I lifted the detector and discovered that once again, all the knobs were set at minimum, and the main power knob was again switched all the way off. At this point, I began feeling nauseated, started sweating, (it was a cool day) and felt like I might get sick. Then, I started shaking, and feeling very nervous and scared, and I didn't know why. It was a horrible feeling of dread and panic, so I started walking to the main gates to tell Ken that I was feeling sick, and that I wanted to get out of there.

I walked across the center of the cemetery towards Ken, and as I walked, I was passing a raised area where tombs were situated against a small hillside. It was then that I noticed that the tombs didn't escape the sick and twisted vandals who had desecrated this ancient burial ground. Most of the tombs had been broken into, and I walked over to see how much damage had been done. I peered into one tomb that had its door torn off, and what I saw actually made me start crying. The poor individual to whom this tomb belonged had also been desecrated. The bones had been arranged to spell out a filthy word, and this person's skull had been smashed. I couldn't take any more...I started running and vomiting at the same time, and now the scared feeling had turned to full-blown panic.

I ran towards Ken to grab him and get out of there when I heard him yelling at me, a huge smile on his face, and pointing to a pile of coins on the ground next to him. He was still taking coins out of the hole next to him, and he was so excited that he was screaming with joy. I told him to get up and move his butt (I didn't say "butt") as fast as he could toward the car. I grabbed his detector and he scooped up the coins and was swearing at me as I manhandled him out the gate and toward the car. He was furious, but I didn't have time to explain...I just dragged and dragged him until we reached the car. I grabbed his car keys and no sooner was he inside that I sped off down the street, still under his verbal attacks. He was furious to say the least.

On the way home, he showed me what he was so excited about, and I couldn't believe my eyes. He had detected the remains of a very old coin purse, and it's contents...38 beautiful old coins, only 5 of which were copper. There were bust dimes, several bust quarters, silver 3-cent pieces...all from the 1830's to the 1860's. My eyes were staring at them, my hand was holding them, but I simply could not believe that Ken had found this beautiful pile of coins, and the remains of the old coin purse that had once held them.

I was sick to my stomach all the rest of that day, and I had nightmares that night. The next day, I called Ken and related everything that had happened to me, and the heart-breaking things I had seen. I also told him that I felt as if the treasures we dug were stolen from that sacred place, and that they didn't belong to us, and should never have been disturbed. I also said that I felt great about the cleanup efforts we made there, but the things that happened to me had me convinced that the poor souls who rested there were angry, and that maybe it was their way of crying out that they had had enough of us, as well as the sick vandals who came before us. And as much as I wanted to finish the cleanup that we had started, I just couldn't go back again.

Well, nothing out of the ordinary had happened to Ken the entire time we were there, and he found all this quite amusing. We had a falling out after that. We still made detecting trips together, but things between us were never the same.

I got rid of the coins I had dug, for my own peace of mind. I actually wanted to re-bury them where I found them, but after that day, I couldn't go back there.

And Ken, who was still a novice treasure hunter, with much to learn about collector-grade coins, had taken Brillo pads and polished to a mirror-gloss, each and every one of the coins he had recovered from the coin purse spill.

I was a much younger man in 1986, and subject to stupid ideas on occasion. I actually believed that cleaning up that sad, vandalized burial ground gave Ken and I the "right" to detect there. I was wrong, and found out the hard way.

I'm sure that some people in this forum will disagree, but I believe in my heart that what happened to me that day was a true paranormal experience. The incident I described with the knobs on my detector had never happened prior to that day, and never occurred again.

I did a lot of growing up after that day, as far as being a responsible treasure hunter is concerned. There are simply places where treasure hunters and metal detectors don't belong...and burial grounds are at the top of the list.

As a footnote to this story....that sad, depressed town had more than it's share of problems. My subsequent phone calls to the officials who had taken over the jobs of running it, regarding the plight of it's burial ground, and the poor souls who rested there, fell on deaf ears. They had "other things to worry about".

Larry G.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
Re: 1800's Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

LSMorgan said:
I don't believe in ghosts, spirits or the like (If I ever see anything that causes me to change my mind, I'll be the first to report back), but I can understand the intense sense of unease that someone might feel after seeing what you described. In terms of recall, the mind does funny things after traumatic events- seeing what you described in the crypt would certainly qualify as a traumatic event.

After seeing a horrible desecration of human remains like you experienced, I would certainly get every authority figure, newspaper and media outlet I could possibly lay hands on involved. I can't really fathom what state of distress this city must've been in to allow something like that- burglarized crypt, human remains appallingly desecrated- to just 'sit there' unaddressed, but I do believe its possible. I've encountered some spectacularly incompetent, do-nothing, know-nothing municipal offices before, where no one is responsible for anything, no one knows who to talk to and the only reason they seem to exist is to play solitaire on the computer between their 2 hour lunch breaks.

There is no inertia stronger than that of a lazy government employee, but one of the few things that can break it is a TV crew with cameras pointed in their direction.

Hi LSMorgan....I tried on several occasions with a lot of phone calls...no apparent concern or interest, but the crime problems there are an everyday thing, and I have no doubt that even if the cemetary was cleaned and restored completely, it would just be desecrated all over again. If you could see the area, you'd understand. The city has been taken over by "acting" officials....and, since 1986, nothing has changed.

Larry G. :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: 1800's Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

the fixing the headstones and trash cleaning show you have "heart for the dead" --you have pity for the dead * -- but just because you cleaned up a bit does not earn you the right to detect inside a graveyard - sadly with the tombs being looted the way you say they were ---what you might have unknowingly found might have once been inside some of the the tombs -drug out by robbers or lost by loved ones visiting the dead -- and even though you did not want to loot the graves per si --the dead souls there might have felt "insulted" *by any and all living person being there , after all damage and disrespect you say occured there ( and might they might have have felt that you by taking things were just another looter of sorts )----I would not be surprized at all to find out that the place has a lot of "negetive energy " evil beings or Pizzed Off souls trapped there -- they tried to tell you nicely the first time to "go away / leave" -- by shutting down all 6 knobs on your detector -- uh hello 6 knobs set to min and the power to off? ---HELLO --- take a hint .--- but by pushing on you --"upped" the stakes ---so they "hit" you with "neg energy" thus the illness you suffered --- now as far as returning to return said items -- most likely they would not mind that ---or if you just came to clean up only (no detecting or removing valuibles) most likely they would not mind that either -- however I personally would not ever detect there again if I were you .(uh you were "warned" by the spirits take a hint )----sorry your freind did not understand and you fell out afterwards

some folks are much more "sensitive" to spirits that others are , many folks are "sensitive to differant things" ( my wife for exsample is very sensitive to smoke -- she can pass downwind with 10 feet of a person and tell you if he's smoked in the last 4 hours)-- clearly you are "sensitive" to ghost maybe your freind was not -- --spirits and ghost do exist and some places and things are best left alone.--- Ivan

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

ivan salis said:
the fixing the headstones and trash cleaning show you have "heart for the dead" --you have pity for the dead * -- but just because you cleaned up a bit does not earn you the right to detect inside a graveyard - sadly with the tombs being looted the way you say they were ---what you might have unknowingly found might have once been inside some of the the tombs -drug out by robbers or lost by loved ones visiting the dead -- and even though you did not want to loot the graves per si --the dead souls there might have felt "insulted" *by any and all living person being there , after all damage and disrespect you say occured there ( and might they might have have felt that you by taking things were just another looter of sorts )----I would not be surprized at all to find out that the place has a lot of "negetive energy " evil beings or Pizzed Off souls trapped there -- they tried to tell you nicely the first time to "go away / leave" -- by shutting down all 6 knobs on your detector -- uh hello 6 knobs set to min and the power to off? ---HELLO --- take a hint .--- but by pushing on you --"upped" the stakes ---so they "hit" you with "neg energy" thus the illness you suffered --- now as far as returning to return said items -- most likely they would not mind that ---or if you just came to clean up only (no detecting or removing valuibles) most likely they would not mind that either -- however I personally would not ever detect there again if I were you .(uh you were "warned" by the spirits take a hint )----sorry your freind did not understand and you fell out afterwards

some folks are much more "sensitive" to spirits that others are , many folks are "sensitive to differant things" ( my wife for exsample is very sensitive to smoke -- she can pass downwind with 10 feet of a person and tell you if he's smoked in the last 4 hours)-- clearly you are "sensitive" to ghost maybe your freind was not -- --spirits and ghost do exist and some places and things are best left alone.--- Ivan

Ivan, the things you wrote did not fall on deaf ears, my friend. If you refer back to the story, you'll read at the beginning that I stated that I made a very dumb and stupid mistake. And at the end I related how after that day, I became a responsible treasure hunter, and also I posted the story to warn others not to make the same unfortunate mistakes, with cemeteries and burial grounds at the top of the DO NOT TRESPASS list!

I respect your opinions, Ivan, and I thank you for being direct and open concerning your feelings.

Have a good day, my friend! :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

larry sadly you learned the hard way --but you learned

many folks do not learn nor understand that there is alot out there that we do not yet fully understand --some have little to no respect for the dead , and mock those that do --normally until they get a dose of it first hand up close and personal -- i know what i know and thats good enough "proof" for me .

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

ivan salis said:
larry sadly you learned the hard way --but you learned

many folks do not learn nor understand that there is alot out thyere that we do not yet fully understand --some have little to no respect for the dead , and mock those that do --normally until they get a dose of it first hand up close and personal -- i know what i know and thats good enough "proof" for me .

:icon_thumright:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

good story, and have no doubt in your telling, don't think many experience the other side, or if they do they blow it off, I've had a number of strange things happen to me in the late 80's and have told one story here in the past, give respect where its due

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I believe your tale.

There are things in this world that you just don't mess with, period~dot. End of story.

The skeptics will always blow it off.
But they also might not be attuned to notice these things, heck I hear the fridge motor whine while running and nobody else does.

After all you were warned twice.

But bad JuJu is nothing to sneeze at, and there are some places that are just bad and should not be intruded upon.

Thank you for sharing you experience.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story last time i felt like that was when my cousin and i wondered onto an indian burial site. I felt like i was goin to have a heart attack. NOT GOOD.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

You had a 'mystical experience'. Few have them more than once, and many seek to re-experience the event. The overwhelming majority never get that "do over" no matter how hard they try.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

Thompy said:
good story, and have no doubt in your telling, don't think many experience the other side, or if they do they blow it off, I've had a number of strange things happen to me in the late 80's and have told one story here in the past, give respect where its due

Thanks for your considerate comments, Thompy....I appreciate it!

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

wildman4910 said:
I believe your tale.

There are things in this world that you just don't mess with, period~dot. End of story.

The skeptics will always blow it off.
But they also might not be attuned to notice these things, heck I hear the fridge motor whine while running and nobody else does.

After all you were warned twice.

But bad JuJu is nothing to sneeze at, and there are some places that are just bad and should not be intruded upon.

Thank you for sharing you experience.

And thank you, Wildman.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

aa battery said:
Great story last time i felt like that was when my cousin and i wondered onto an indian burial site. I felt like i was goin to have a heart attack. NOT GOOD.

And I thought I was alone in the "don't go there" fraternity of treasure hunters...I guess I was wrong, AA....I guess we both learned a lesson!

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

batcap said:
You had a 'mystical experience'. Few have them more than once, and many seek to re-experience the event. The overwhelming majority never get that "do over" no matter how hard they try.

A point well taken, Batcap. :icon_thumright:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of the most powerful experiences I've had was on the north coast of Hawaii, at Mo'okini Heiau, a Luakini or place where tens of thousands of Hawaiians were sacrificed to the war god Ku.

A large, barren, stark place, seemingly cold on the otherwise warm island of Hawaii, not many visit the place. The ones that do usually come away differently than when they came.

It isn't hard to imagine the large central stone, brought from Tahiti in the 11th century, as a sacrificial alter. That's what it is.

A palpable feeling of human misery and despair, wild, transparent visions of souls and sacrificial orgies, and a cold, hollow silent screeching of the murdered. Even with the lonely vista of the Hawaiian channel, you won't be tempted to stay for a picnic lunch.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

I think all the guesses that have been offered as to what happened to you that day are reasonable explanations as to what minght have occured that day, but in the end , you were the one that was there. I do believe in "gut feeling" and I really liked the comment "Look what they did to us, and to our resting places...". That comment goes along with the gut feeling thing, it's kind-a like meeting someone for the first time and you walk away thinking "man there's just something bout that person I like/don't like" you can't explain why you feel that way but you just do. There was lot of good info offered but only you know what you experienced. Everyone has their own beliefs and experiences and make decisions based on that. I don't know you, based on your comments, you sound like a level headed person (don't want to come across as pandering but it's just my opinion). Regardless of my opinion or anyone elses', I'll bet this is something you wont soon forget and, onn the plus side, you've got one heck of a story to tell. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

Tony66 said:
I think all the guesses that have been offered as to what happened to you that day are reasonable explanations as to what minght have occured that day, but in the end , you were the one that was there. I do believe in "gut feeling" and I really liked the comment "Look what they did to us, and to our resting places...". That comment goes along with the gut feeling thing, it's kind-a like meeting someone for the first time and you walk away thinking "man there's just something bout that person I like/don't like" you can't explain why you feel that way but you just do. There was lot of good info offered but only you know what you experienced. Everyone has their own beliefs and experiences and make decisions based on that. I don't know you, based on your comments, you sound like a level headed person (don't want to come across as pandering but it's just my opinion). Regardless of my opinion or anyone elses', I'll bet this is something you wont soon forget and, onn the plus side, you've got one heck of a story to tell. :icon_thumright:

Hi Tony,

You're correct about my not soon forgetting that day....in 24 years, it has never strayed far from my thoughts. I can't pass a cemetery today without thinking of that day.

Thank you for your comments and opinions.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer

Hi Larry G Thanks for your story. I could have detected many old burial grounds in the past, but just didn't feel right about it.
I have given the link to your story to a friend in England who understands this stuff better than I do. Maybe he may comment sometime.

Wildcat

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2

I had a premonition in the form of a dream about an event that changed the course of my life.

Some things can't be explained by science, no matter how much they would love to.

I hunted the common areas of a pioneer cemetery where I live. Nothing bad happened and I spent more time reading tombstones and reflecting on my own mortality.

You spend a lifetime here and then your life is summarized in a few kind words. Kinda depressing.

Thank God for some hope of an afterlife.

Consider everyday a blessing. We aren't here very long at all.

~Sim

Scar

Dec 25, 2010

The spirits talk to the ones that will listen. They may have been trying to tell you to finish your cleanup work first before looking for the prize. My suggestion is for you to go back without your friend and see if they will speak to you again. If you are lucky you may find the answer and be able to right some wrong, some treasures are worth more than gold.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goes4ever said:
I would have to believe the coins you and your friend found were lost by people who visited the cemetary and not the people buried there. I do not believe spirits there were upset with you. I do very much believe in spirits and ghosts, but I do NOT believe they try to harm humans. Maybe some people believe this but not me. I see nothing wrong with what you did. You did a good thing cleaning up the area, and you were not detecting over graves, so you had nothing to worry about. Why did only you see and experience these things and not your partner?
I have to say.. you were cleaning and righting the area. I don't hunt cemeteries cause I respect the resting places. But really,, YOU would be haunted Or Harmed in some way and you didn't vandalize the area?..... Does that mean the retribution for vandals is multiplied by the crimes they committed? Did you see dead vandals strewn about? Maybe even one with a cough? I saw a similar thread where the upshot was politically charged, but I must say, I am Conservative,, very much so, but this strains my credulity...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread