Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear a lot of good things about the Teknetics Gamma.

But I'd like to ask experienced users out there this simple question:

If you had a budget of about $550 and you were going to buy a new detector (not used) for coin and jewelery hunting, which model would give you the best depth and discrimination? Or are they largely the same in that price range?

Upvote 0

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smudge, you are really cutting yourself short by ruling out a good used detector.
$550 could get you a really nice Explorer II.

But ... for what you have budgeted for a NEW detector I think you could not do better than the new Garrett AT Pro.
Just my opinion after about 8 hours out in the field with one and from what I am reading from other users.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Have you not considered the Xterra's? I had a 305 with the 18.75 coil and it was great on jewelry. I think a 505 might be in your price range with more notches. I would be happy if the 305 were my only machine, but I do not discriminate out much usually. Lots of features for the price. Light weight. Easy to use.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your replies guys.

Willie, I am leaning towards spending the extra money and getting the AT PRO, I guess I just wanted to hear more from actual users in the field like yourself.

RW, I've used the 305 before and thought it was a pretty good machine, but it never seem to go any deeper than 5-6". Whether that was the limit on the depth capabilities of the 305 or that was just the limit on the targets in that area I'm not sure.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Smudge said:

Willie, I am leaning towards spending the extra money and getting the AT PRO, I guess I just wanted to hear more from actual users in the field like yourself.

RW, I've used the 305 before and thought it was a pretty good machine, but it never seem to go any deeper than 5-6". Whether that was the limit on the depth capabilities of the 305 or that was just the limit on the targets in that area I'm not sure.

I have the Omega and think it is an incredible detector. It's within 1" of the really high end machines, at least on the high conductors. It can be had new with an 11" coil for about what you are talking about. Having said that I am looking hard at the AT Pro for next year. It is not as fast as the Omega but it has a very nuanced audio, that when learned might be more powerful going forward. It also seems to be deep and equal on the high and low conductors, which you are starting to see with new detectors, even in light of it's frequency. Omega at 8kHz and AT Pro at 14 or so. Unless you are in Florida or another warm state I would hold off with a purchase till next year. I have a feeling there will be something new from Minelab (they are losing sales bigtime) and another Teknetics is sure to come out - Like a very deep seeking Omega LTD or the like.

Next year is sure to be fun with some powerful new releases.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xterras are excellent, or even a used explorer or SE

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a feeling there will be something new from Minelab (they are losing sales bigtime)
[/quote]

Really? Do you mean because of the AT Pro or something else?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
mrwilburino said:
I have a feeling there will be something new from Minelab (they are losing sales bigtime)

Really? Do you mean because of the AT Pro or something else?
[/quote]Well the AT Pro is one reason i would think ........... Plus Minelabs service .........And i saw on another forum were some Minelab users are now haveing thouble with the sovereign the lower shaft.......

Attachments

• zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 662
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 657

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really don't know if there is a best machine. My best advice would be to find a machine that you like and learn that machine. All companies have a great machine that will work for you. If there are dealers in your area go check them out and get a hands on and see which you like. Whites, Minelab, Garrett and many others offer what you are looking for. Maybe see if there is a club in your area that you can visit and get some help as well. Just a few suggestions that I could offer. Everybody on this site will help you out.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i'd say if you plan on maybe searching some water then i'd go with the AT pro, now if your just hunting dry ground then i'd go with a garrett gtp 1350 which is about the same price as the AT pro (594.00) the 1350 is great for jewelery and coins and will give you a size of the target which will save you hours of time not digging up non-coin size targets.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldcoon said:
You get what you want, not what someone tells you to, but since you asked I'd get a Tesoro Vaquero.

Of course I'll get what I want, I'm just asking for opinions to see if there was something I haven't considered. :icon_thumleft:

calbear

Jan 29, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Eric Foster PI, White's gold detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at the Tejon or any other detector made by Tesoro.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a Garrett Tesoro Whites Teknetics Fisher or Minelab. Just don't pay retail. There are plenty of dealers that will give you a good deal so call or email several. Then be sure to consider a Teknetics Omega (comes with 10 inch coil), G2 (comes with 11 inch coil) or Fisher Gold Bug Pro (comes with 5 inch coil). The GB Pro and G2 are very similar and do not have icons to hint as to what you are detecting but the Omega adds icons to give a clue for the probable target. The Omega is a LOT of fun to use but I think most would recommend the 11 inch DD coil for general use. The coils for the Fisher are the same for the G2 and Omega.

I just noticed you are in Florida. I cannot tell you how these perform on the beach so maybe others can chime in.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the AT Pro, but I would since I'm a Garrett fan!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jimbog said:
Buy a Garrett Tesoro Whites Teknetics Fisher or Minelab. Just don't pay retail. There are plenty of dealers that will give you a good deal so call or email several. Then be sure to consider a Teknetics Omega (comes with 10 inch coil), G2 (comes with 11 inch coil) or Fisher Gold Bug Pro (comes with 5 inch coil). The GB Pro and G2 are very similar and do not have icons to hint as to what you are detecting but the Omega adds icons to give a clue for the probable target. The Omega is a LOT of fun to use but I think most would recommend the 11 inch DD coil for general use. The coils for the Fisher are the same for the G2 and Omega.

I just noticed you are in Florida. I cannot tell you how these perform on the beach so maybe others can chime in.
What i read about the Omega is that with the 11 inch coil it is only good to about 7 inches deep *******

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Jimbog said:

What i read about the Omega is that with the 11 inch coil it is only good to about 7 inches deep *******

I haven't used these enough to say just how deep they can go. Last weekend a buddy borrowed my GB Pro (never held one before) with the 11 inch coil and dug one item at about 10 inches in AM mode. My experience has been in urban hunting using discrimination and getting consistent accurate ID's at 7 inches. Not too shabby. My soil comes in about 75-82 on the mineralization. I sold my Whites gear after trying several makes and models and appreciate how the FT stuff runs. These FT units also hit pretty hard on nickels and gold rings at depth which is a priority for me.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Keppy said:
Jimbog said:

No chance, the stock coil goes 8". The DD will go 10", just about an inch within the Minelabs, F75LTD's - but more so on the high conductors - copper and silver.
I have an Omega. Sold my T2 after I got it. The Omega really is a GREAT coin machine.

I constantly dig dime sized copper coins at 6" with it. (I'm in Germany). I have dug silver hammereds at 7" and 8", but they hit softer.

It hunts great in iron, was better than my T2 in iron - with coins though, not on the low conductors. VERY fast separation, just behind the T2 + F75, and I mean just.

The only negative for me is that it's pretty much turn and go, no real flexibility. Also, it wouldn't be a good beach machine.

You might look at the AT Pro, but the Omega is better than it in iron, it's faster and with better discrimination. You could pick coins out better in iron with the Omega, at least initially. Now, if you learn the AT's sounds then it might keep up, but I've read from a very knowlegable person that has an AT and he likes it but doesn't think the discrimination in iron is great. But, I think the AT will go deeper than the Omega. The AT Pro seems overcharge/hot like a T2 from reports. He said he went equally deep on all the conductors. It's a good beach machine too. I might actually look at one next year and see how it is compared to my Omega.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smudge said:

Extra Money ???

There is one dealer that is selling them no frills or extras for $499 shipped.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge........... What with the AT Pro water proof to 10 feet.................. And has Auto and manual ground balance..........I would have to say the AT Pro............. My second choice would be the Omega......

Attachments

• addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 380
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 337
  • addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 370
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif