Detecting a local park and my run in with a angry person !!!!!

calbear

Jan 29, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Eric Foster PI, White's gold detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't usually post here just do a little lurking. Mostly on the White's or Tesoro forums. But I thought I should let everyone know what happened to me yesterday at the park. I was detecting a park which I go too a lot. Know most of the grounds keepers. They always stop and asked me what I have found today. well it was a little difference yesterday. Groundskeeper drove up to me and told me that a man was demanding that I be Arrested for tearing up the park ! He informed hm that I was doing nothing wrong and stormed off in a huff. We had a good laugh over it we talked for about 10 minutes, he was giving me tips on where all the parents sit when the soccer game is being played. I started detecting again for about 10 minutes when the grounds keeper came back over to me. He told me that the man had call the Parks and recreation Dept and lodged a complaint against me and him. He then told me the Parks director was coming to the park to see what damage I had done.
About 10 minutes later he showed up with his assistant Director. They introduced themselves to me and told me about the complaint they had received. He told me he had been director for 21 years and never had a complaint about metal detecting. I showed him my tools that I use (pinpointer probe, brass probe and hand trowel) I then showed him where I had been digging. He took pictures of covered up holes, my tools, detector, and the trash and coins I was finding. He told me I was a good will ambassador to metal detecting. He told me I was welcome to detect in any park in our city. He did say when he got the call, he was told I was using a shovel and digging large holes. So I guess the moral to the story is : Don't use a shovel in a park and be very careful when digging your plugs !!!!! I should add that he was thankful that I was picking up the trash I was finding.

Upvote 0

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I ran into the same thing at a local school yard. The school was built in 1909 and has a history of lots of older silver.

Someone had called the police saying that there was some man with a weapon in the school yard who kept falling down on his knees.
The police came and I showed them my detector and digging tools and they had a good laugh.

As it turned out, it was a very old woman who thought that the school yard was hers and she always called the police on anyone who set foot on her land. I kind of feel sorry for her as she seems to be having problems.

Maybe that was the problem with your person.

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job! Alot of "know nothing" know it alls are what cause trouble for our hobby and others! All they have to do is ask and be polite and we will show them we are taking care at what we do! Again...Good Job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread