A Metal detecting service sign up?

D

Diane L.

I was wondering other then Clubs...Is there anyway a person can sign up for giving thier metal detecting service to say Police ect? Like in crime scenes and hunts for lost people ect..?
I have been metal detecting for many years and will help anyone who is true as for hunting lost stolen or at crime scenes...I? will give? references of my searches if anyone wants them ..I know that espscially now a-days since 911 Police are very busy and there has been times when they did call for help from outsiders in cases where they were hunting for stuff at a crime scsene ect...I have been to the metal detecting shows but never was in one..Yet...I? Plan To! I go to learn from the experts...I do have a lot of friends who have asked me to look for stuff and free! I do not ask for money. I purley do it for the fun and becuase it is interesting and I do it with the local law knowledge and ask permmission when crossing on property lines ect! I am from the Central Wisconsin area. :)

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hi Diane. Not sure what level of community service you want to get into but there are various POC (point of contact} people you choose for what it is you want to do. Got a local paper? Let the lost and found person know you're always available. Give them a card with your name/e-mail on it. Tell the local cop, park district people, etc..

Friday morning I was at a local park and the park district playground inspector was there taking photos of the latest posting by the marker/paint mob. I showed him the light bulb remains I found under the equipment, several had been smashed there and a couple bullets and screws. He rewarded me with some valuable info on upcoming changes that may be good for me including some great site potential. That and I made another friend in the ranks of city bureaucracy.

There should be a good deal of potential in your area from the vacation crowd in the summer, especially if you water hunt. A lot of the water up there is holding lost rings, watches etc. from both splashers and fishing folk. One of my old neighbors lost a ring up near Stevens Point some years back, probably still there. Get out and talk to the folks, but keep clear of them Wis DNR people, they can be a relentless bunch of zealous... Aw don't get me going on them!

OP
OP
D

Diane L.

Hello,Thank you for responding. just a awhile ago, I went to Wisconsin Rapids and talked to a very nice man who was water hunting, he is in the Mid State Metal Detecting club and we talked a lot about different water hunting techniques and about the club.They are he ones who put on the Metal detecting hunt in Steven's Point. I have been there many times but just watch.I am happy they do this show and they put on a great show also.I happen to know Doug the producer of the hunt and He sold me the detector I use now.I would like to thank Doug for the great show and give him my wish for a great future and with metal detecting ect!Thank You for all the hard work he puts in for everything.I kind of stopped detecting for a while, but started again because I really miss doing it.It gets in your blood the way deer hunting does.I go for rocks"Meteorites"also! Do you know how many times people throw "Hot rocks" away that could be meteorites?I spoke with Mr.Bob Haag "The Meteorite man " The greatest still since the 70s on meteorite hunting"and he told me some good stories and sent me his 2004 book of meteorites for free!!Signed!!!What A gift!!I will always cherish this mans friendship.I guess you can get other metal detecting finds and gifts other ways..I should write to Lost Treasure or Eastern Western about this maybe they will put my article in their magazine,About other ways to get cool things from the metal detecting world! Anyway it was nice talking with you and I wish you well wit your metal detecting adventures also!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had cards printed and leave them at jewelry and pawn shops. Also i keep a couple in my billfold and whenever I encounter someone who may use my services (police detective, grounds keeper, recreation director, etc.) I give them a card, explain my hobby and ask them to give me a call if needed.? A couple of years ago I help recover jewelry from a robbery that was tossed out the window of a moving car as the police were chasing the suspects.
Found most of it.

OP
OP
D

Diane L.

Thank you Mr.Hutson, I know a Little about Police type work,I took a Citizen Police class a couple of years ago with The Marshfield Police,This is something I will recommend to anyone when they have there class going,It is very well done and they are very professional about what they do...Does not mean you can do Police work.... As I have found out in the past though, I would like to try my hand at some kind of security work and? with training and and some time understanding physiology of people and behaviors, it would be a worthy and honorable profession and you will never work with better people in your life time...They are a great team and treat you as a friend always!
I actually get a great feeling when I pass the Station because I know they are out there to help you not to do you harm etc...As some people may believe.I will help them or anyone if there is a search to be done and I am honest and ready to get into the dirt.I searched a neighbors 60 + acre field in 89 degree weather,found nothing,Though I learned more about my hunting techniques and my detector...So it was not for nothing and he had a field with no fences or junk! Cool!
Yes! I can talk here,But I am naturally a very quite person...So saying that.. I thank you again,and best wishes with your detecting.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Hello Diane. I had an individual contact me to see if I could help locate his lost wedding ring. He found me through this website. I was very excited and eager to help. I'm still a newbie and don't have top grade equipment yet but we tried to find it. I wasn't able to locate his ring that day, I asked if I could come back to which he said sure.....the weather has been less than co-operative for me since then but I still plan to go back and find that ring for him.
I used to be a cop and see where good detectors can be a great help to law enforcement. I hope to continue to assist with metal detecting and get into heat sensors as well. Good luck on your endeavors. Happy Hunting. Dan

OP
OP
D

Diane L.

Hi Dan,Thank you for your reply, I myself have had a couple of people ask about hunting rings they lost.I have not done any of that..I want to note this..When someone asks to find something, make sure you ask about some kind of form or conformation that when you find the lost item, you found it on your own and that it was a true hearted search....I know of a man who searched for someone who had him picked up for pre-stealing the item and he supposedly did not...Now he is stuck in a no win law battle...Although I do not know what really happened....You know what I mean...I am a little bit careful about hunting with out making ?that type of acknowledgment and that this would be totally discussed ?before any search for an unknown stranger....Other wise looking for some one you know is a-OK.Just be carefull...It's like a scam type of deal you would not want to be involved in.Honesty in both sides is the best way to go!I want to wish you well in your detecting searches. It is a worthy cause to help people no-matter how it is done.Here is my last note for the day...I dig dirt and love it! My T-Shirt saying!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is an older, larger club here in the Los Angeles area with a volunteer group that responds to police calls. They do a lot of crime search and have recovered weapons, bullets, and other evidence/ contraband. I would like to get involved but don't have time for the obligation-- they have certain requirements in as much as being available a certain number of hours per week or month. They also run a background check and issue badges so the volunteers (no pay) can enter crime scenes without too much hassle. They are a great group of guys, and I applaud their efforts. Some day I may join them...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread