Help.....Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 coil question

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My detector must have shifted in the trunk of my car and broke the mounting ears on the coil.

I had went to do some looking around an old church site and noticed that the coil was loose. I went to tighten it up and saw that one of the knobs/nuts was broken >:( So I took what was left of it off and just tightened the insert. Did a couple of sweeps and the coil was loose again. This time I noticed that the mounting ears on the coil was cracked.

I cant believe it got shifted in the trunk hard enough to do all that damage. Anyway......I have made new ears out of some plastic stock and have epoxied them to the coil to possibly work until I can find a replacement coil.

Can you buy replacement coils from BH? Is there any hotrod coils for it? Or is it worth it to buy another coil? Its probally a bottom of the line starter detector, but it was all I had(or could afford at the moment)

Should I look into getting another detector or saving this one?

Thanks,
KC

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR AT BUT,I WAS IN OUTDOOR WORLD THE OTHER DAY AND NOTICED THEY CARRIED BH DETECTORS.I ALSO SAW THEY HAD NUGGET COILS AS WELL AS REPLACEMENT COILS AND A FEW OTHER ITEMS AS WELL.I THINK THE COILS WERE ABOUT $30.00.IF NOTHING ELSE,HERE'S FIRST TEXAS' (BOUNTY HUNTER)PHONE NUMBER-915-633-8354.GOOD LUCK and H.H.

B

BIG BAD JOHN

KC: The Pioneer 101 sold by WalMart is the twin to the Bounty Hunter branded Tracker IV. The coils are replaceable and interchangeable. Replacement coils can be purchased from your local dealer as well as many online resources. Lucky Dan's detectors usually has the best coil prices around. His website is www.luckydan.com. BH makes a 4" Gold Nugget coil (great for trashy sites), the standard 8" D-Tech spider coil which came with your unit, and the 10" Magnum coil typically used in low-trash areas for deeper searching. Coil prices typically range from $30 to $45 dollars depending upon who you're dealing with. You may get a better deal on a bundle of coils with coil covers.

You're correct in your assumption of the Tracker IV, it's a lower end machine, but does a remarkably good job for the price. If you like the unit, it may be worth it to purchase all of the coils to expand your range of effective hunting scenarios. If you feel its time to upgrade...upgrading to another BH product will still leave your Pioneer 101 as an effective backup rig, since the coils from the other BH rigs will interchange with the 101. If you've got specific questions on the 101, visit us at the BH website bulletin board (forum) at www.detecting.com. Many there use the Pioneer 101/Tracker IV with great success. Good luck and happy hunting! BBJ

OP
OP
Zeke

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
thanks for the info guys. I may have it mended enough to use for now. The new ears I made seem to have took a good hold with the epoxy I used.

I was thinking that Tracker IV looked alot like the 101.......makes sense too because my step-mom got it for my daughter....and she lives at WalMart.

We'll see how it holds up once I get into a tight spot and bump it a couple of times. I hope so because I'd hate to have down time, as I just got back into detecting after a long hiatus....probally 25+yrs or more....and I've been bit by the bug hard. ;D

OP
OP
Zeke

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well.......my patch job on the coil didnt work. Went to tighten it after curing a couple of days and the "new" ears pulled loose. The epoxy didnt take hold to the plastic I used to make new ones. It was some ABS material we use at work as a bayliner in truck bodies...has a greasy look to it....but its not. I guess I'll try to find a different type of plastic to make new ears out of...or bite the bullet and buy a new coil. Trying to find a similar type of plastic like the coils made of to see if I can get it too stick....been scavenger hunting here at home and at work but havent found anything. Anybody got any ideas?

I might have a line on a Minelab for cheap. A guy at work has one he is thinking about selling. I need to do something.....cant stand not be able to hunt.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Minelab if its a good deal and it works, you wont regret it. Then you can use it, or the other detector (once its fixed) as a back up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread