Help!! I need a stronger machine for silver coins (current machine: CZ-5)

nanonano

Dec 16, 2010
Hi all,

I have been detecting on my property since a long time, with a marvellous Fisher CZ-5 Quicksilver and with great results in silver coins.

Unfortunately, my luck have changed. No more silver coins have been detected by my CZ-5 (of course, it works well, I tested it in other places) and I am pretty sure that there are more silver coins waiting to be discovered in my property...

I am thinking about buying a new stronger model. I have read about Minelab E-trac and Fisher F-75, and is not clear to me if these models can go deeper than my CZ-5...

Can anyone help me?? Can somebody that have worked with a Cz-5 and F-75 or E-trac provide me some feedback about their performance for silver coins detection??

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
bazinga said:
TORRERO said:
Like I said ...
And what kind of site has Silver coins but no Iron ???

I've hunted a site like that. Before my friend invited me to come detect it, he had pulled out over 100 old coins, with the newest being 1892. It was literally the easiest site I've ever detected. I used a WOT coil and it was a farm field. Every signal you got was some kind of coin. I didn't dig a single piece of iron or even hear the machine null but maybe once out of over 20 swings or so. The only time I dug any kind of 'trash,' I was next to the road and it was the odd pop can. It was such a unique place to hunt. But once it was hunted, there was no more hunting it unless they were to deep plow it. There was just no iron to mask anything. And since every signal was a coin, I dug several old nickel 3 cents and silver 3 cents as well.

To answer the question of what type of site has silver and no iron, it was an old campground that apparently had no buildings on it. Just a spot for people to camp for the night during their travels.
OK ..You used a WOT coil but what kind of detector did you use ???

Does the detector used even matter in this instance?

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
Not being an expert I can only relate my personal experiences. I started out with a White's IDX pro, detected on and off for about 9 yrs. with it. It was a great reliable machine but I always checked out these forums and told myself I wasn't finding good stuff like other guys because I didn't have the latest and greatest machine. I would give up on sites quickly telling myself they were too trashy or the coins were too deep for my machine. About 2 yrs. ago I took up more of a real interest in detecting, health reasons were getting in the way of my true passion, privy digging and I took the time to learn my machine. It was an uncomplicated machine but I was so naive, thinking I could wade through the trash with my discrimination cranked and pick out the cherries. Turns out I needed to dig those "iffy" signals and my good finds started to improve,directly proportionate to the nails and other trash in my pouch. I got greater depth and picked up confidence. As this happened I stuck with spots longer, including " cleaned out" ones and trashy yards. Last summer I decided I was ready to invest in a different machine and take the time to learn it, rather than give up on it like I did before. I looked hard and used a friend's CZ-5 and another friends explorer II and loved both machines. I waited six months to choose because I wanted to dig a silver quarter at a foot or a dime at 10" something I had read both machines can do, that never happened. I ended up buying an Explorer SE pro, essentially an E-trac with less bells and whistles. I couldn't wait to get it and find all the deep silver I missed in my yard and other sites I had pounded with my Whites. I pulled my miracle machine out of the box and hit my yard hard for two days and with the exeption of a Mercury dime with a nail in the hole with it at 4", nada. Now, is the Whites as good as the Minelab, NOT :laughing9: , I proceeded to other yards and parks I had hunted before and started finding silver everywhere. To my surprise, however, all within the depth range of my IDX just masked or on edge. I mean silver quarters at 4 and 5 inches and dimes at 3. Still me being a silly human, was discouraged I wasn't immediately digging DEEP silver and started doubting my machine a little and thinking I should have bought a CZ or F-75. This is after digging more silver coins in 3 or 4 months than I had in the previous 10 yrs of detecting. I have since been to some "cleaned out" parks and dug some DEEP silver ( dimes to 9", and a barber quarter pushing a foot). Ironically, I am now on board with the guys that say most good coins are less than 7".The fact is, the Minelab is a silver magnet and I have confidence. This leads me to seek out better spots and stick with it until they pan out or don't. My buddy with a CZ still digs deeper stuff more regularly than I do but I think it is just a matter of knowing his machine better than I know mine. I can say I love going behind him,though and picking out all of the on edge and iron masked silver he misses, though. Good luck out there.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
"I mean silver quarters at 4 and 5 inches and dimes at 3. Still me being a silly human, was discouraged I wasn't immediately digging DEEP silver and started doubting my machine a little and thinking I should have bought a CZ or F-75. This is after digging more silver coins in 3 or 4 months than I had in the previous 10 yrs of detecting."

Right on IlliniDigger,
Just freaked out when I hit a lot of the ground with my F70 that I ahd been over with the CZ's over the years. Ground where I had those 10-12 inch coins readily, but missed the nearby 4" targets.

Now you know why I'd love a DD coil on the CZ!

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
If you don't want to break the bank get a used Explorer or Sovereign.I use to be a die hard CZ user and after switching to the Sovereign my silver finds and old copper increased.The Explorer is great for very deep silver,which I think has an edge over the Sovereign.Good Luck.

ozbach

Nov 16, 2009
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac/ xp Deus?/equinox 800
I have owned the Fisher cz-5, the Fisher F-70 and now use the E-trac.......I would list them in this order #1 E-trac #2 CZ-5 #3 F-70.....I know alot of success is how well the user works with his detector, but you will be limited to how your detector will perform.....When I go out with the E-trac now, I have so much more confidence of finding the good stuff ...Just my opinion! but a honest one!!!

onbrake

Greenie
Feb 15, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ,O8,XLT,IDX PRO.
I think we all can agree that the CZ is the deepest machine out there.But you still need to learn your machine.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
onbrake said:
I think we all can agree that the CZ is the deepest machine out there.But you still need to learn your machine.

onbrake, you, you.....you force me to wright. I love cz's too. But not too many, perhaps very few, will agree with you, unless you agree that the particular cz in question just happens to have the biggest coil. Only then might it be the "deepest out there". What about the 70 and 75? As far as "stronger for silver", it is absolutely without doubt, and beyond argument, that there is NO SUCH THING as a metal detector that is "stronger for silver". That is like saying that there is a certain car out there that runs stronger on gasoline. It's madness I tell you, madness....

William123

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
E-trac IS good one that Fisher F75

When it comes down to it the E-TRAC will locate valuable metal objects in a variety of mineralised ground conditions such as extremely salty soils, seawater, wet beach sand and highly magnetic ground conditions. By using the E-TRAC you can become one of the many successful detectorists who combine their passion for the outdoors with the excitement of discovering valuable coins, relics, gold and jewellery on a regular basis.

check out this for more information about this machine http://www.minelab.com/products/coin-relic-detectors/e-trac

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread