Help!! I need a stronger machine for silver coins (current machine: CZ-5)

nanonano

Dec 16, 2010
Hi all,

I have been detecting on my property since a long time, with a marvellous Fisher CZ-5 Quicksilver and with great results in silver coins.

Unfortunately, my luck have changed. No more silver coins have been detected by my CZ-5 (of course, it works well, I tested it in other places) and I am pretty sure that there are more silver coins waiting to be discovered in my property...

I am thinking about buying a new stronger model. I have read about Minelab E-trac and Fisher F-75, and is not clear to me if these models can go deeper than my CZ-5...

Can anyone help me?? Can somebody that have worked with a Cz-5 and F-75 or E-trac provide me some feedback about their performance for silver coins detection??

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the CZ5 is one deep machine but has a bit of a problem with deep iron. I think the Etrac is the best silver machine on the market but the cost is up there.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you using the ten inch coil? You're probably not going to get much deeper than that without getting into a PI machine.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'm am very happy to have picked up another CZ5 this summer, their depth is awesome.

On the other hand, I've also become a fan of the F70 and learned to respect the ETrac big time. The coils come into play as they don't have to go deeper to hit those silvers you're missing with the CZ now.

Many silvers are probably left there surprisingly shallow by the CZ. You need that small coil or DD design to pick them out. Seeing is believing and I've seen it enough on a lot of my CZ stomping grounds.

The only other way to improve your finds with the CZ is to dig signals all the way down the scale to iron, especially the deep or near-deep small targets.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello! I am old and slower than molassas in January. What makes you think there are more silver coins at this location waiting to be found?

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Try the new Garrett AT PRO. One marvelous machine that is going to set detectordom on fire and it goes quite deep and hot on gold rings and small jewelry.

Bill

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
If you want DEEP silver and copper get a Whites TDI pulse detector and set it for hi conductors. It will ignore all lo conds metals and most iron, the few irons (mostly some nails) it will detect in the hi cond setting can be ID ed and not need to be dug. You may still have to dig a few non silver and copper beeps but not many.

OP
OP
N

nanonano

Dec 16, 2010
Thanks to all!

Some of your replies have clarified my suspicious... Neither F-75 or E-Trac will achieve much more deepness than my current CZ-5. And considering their cost, it will be a bad deal.... Am I wrong?.

But, what about Minelab GPX 4500?? As far as I know, this machine has being designed for gold detecting, but without discrimination it can find whatever metal and very deep.

I have read something similar in this forum and there is a nice article at:

http://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/gpx-4500-for-coin-treasure-use

My property is almost free of iron, so I do not need discrimination... maybe this machine can help me to get deeper detections?? Has anybody worked with a GPX 4500 for silver coins (or similar things)??

I know that this machine is not cheap. So I have to be pretty sure about how it would help me before buying something similar...

To "oldcoon", I am sure that there are some silver coins there because they were detected by me before a bulldozer (coming from a near civil work) has left about a meter of new ground.

Thanks in advance again!!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nanonano said:
a bulldozer (coming from a near civil work) has left about a meter of new ground ????
Sounds like you need that bulldozer back...
Not a new machine...

And what kind of site has Silver coins but no Iron ???

Are you robbing a bank or something ??

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
mrwilburino said:
Are you using the ten inch coil? You're probably not going to get much deeper than that without getting into a PI machine.
I have to agree here with ...........mnwibyrino......if you want depth get a PI detector i have been saying that for years ......... Put those $1500.00 VLF detectors in the closet .......... If you really want depth you want a PI detector Not a VLF detector................. No matter what any one says about there depth with a VLF it will not match a PI.... And you can buy a lot of PI detectors for about 1/2 the price of the VLF detectors........ And there is not much difference in the depth of any VLF detector no matter how much you paid for it :pain10:

Attachments

• AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,118

rws51

May 12, 2009
Keep the cz5.... you have one of the best machines Fisher ever made for coinhunting. Buy the 10 1/2" coil for your cz5 and try the 5" coil also if you don't have it already. I hunt with a cz5 myself and I wouldn't trade it for anything out there today, plus Fisher's build quality is outstanding.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
nanonano, I think you are dreaming if you think you are going to use a gpx-4500 for coin hunting. Oh sure, it *could* be done. And granted, you can pick up a nickel at nearly 2 ft, for example.

The trouble is going to be, that you are ALSO going to pick up every single little piece of birdshot cr*p, paperclips, staples, etc... I'm sure there are settings on it that improve iron rejection, and "dumb it down" so that you're not going crazy on little flitty stuff like that. But read the link you posted more carefully: The author says:

"In European countries the machine is a perfect tool for searching relatively iron free areas....."

and:

"Be advised that the iron rejection is limited to proper interpretation at a relatively shallow depth....."

Now you may *THINK* your property is "iron free", but trust me, if you've been using a standard coin machine thus far (which easily passes nails and small iron), then you are in for a big surprise just how much iron is in the average site, that has had any sort of lengthy human habitation (especially if there's been structures of any sort there).

That Minelab's iron disc. is only good for the top 4 or 5" or so. Beyond that, everything starts to sound the same. So if you're grasping for those coins beyond the range of your fisher (8 or 9" or whatever), then by definition, you're going to be having to dig all the iron. And it may seem like the amt. of iron is not bad there, because your Fisher simply doesn't see or hear little paper-clip sized stuff (larger nails might give those easily rejected chirps, thus you may think "that's all the iron there is here")

About the only place I've seen Minelab nugget machines used for coins, was at the beach. In certain storm/erosion conditions, where bread-tie-twisties, staples, and sparklers wires-type-stuff is all washed out to sea, then presumably, the remaining items are denser heavier items. And as long as it's not a beach with a lot of industrial history (burned down wharves, etc.....) and is upscale and toursisty Bay-watch type beach, that doesn't allow bonfires (which introduce nails via people burning pallets), then yes: it would make for a coin/jewelry hunting machine, and you can get wickedly deep.

But for any land-site, I can not imagine the site which is iron-free enough to use this for coin hunting.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said ...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nanonano said:
Thanks to all!

Some of your replies have clarified my suspicious... Neither F-75 or E-Trac will achieve much more deepness than my current CZ-5. And considering their cost, it will be a bad deal.... Am I wrong?.

But, what about Minelab GPX 4500?? As far as I know, this machine has being designed for gold detecting, but without discrimination it can find whatever metal and very deep.

My property is almost free of iron, so I do not need discrimination... maybe this machine can help me to get deeper detections?? Has anybody worked with a GPX 4500 for silver coins (or similar things)??

It really sounds like you are expecting the detector to do all the work, and in a way create good detecting. The above is clearly written by someone who is trying to buy more finds and it tends to not work that way. You find out the hard way when it's too late... after spending the $$$.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
No metal detector will detect coins that are a meter deep (40"). If you can't get all that new dirt removed, you need to detect somewhere else. Sorry to have to disappoint you. Best wishes, George (MN)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Like I said ...

I've hunted a site like that. Before my friend invited me to come detect it, he had pulled out over 100 old coins, with the newest being 1892. It was literally the easiest site I've ever detected. I used a WOT coil and it was a farm field. Every signal you got was some kind of coin. I didn't dig a single piece of iron or even hear the machine null but maybe once out of over 20 swings or so. The only time I dug any kind of 'trash,' I was next to the road and it was the odd pop can. It was such a unique place to hunt. But once it was hunted, there was no more hunting it unless they were to deep plow it. There was just no iron to mask anything. And since every signal was a coin, I dug several old nickel 3 cents and silver 3 cents as well.

To answer the question of what type of site has silver and no iron, it was an old campground that apparently had no buildings on it. Just a spot for people to camp for the night during their travels.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
bazinga said:
TORRERO said:
Like I said ...

I've hunted a site like that. Before my friend invited me to come detect it, he had pulled out over 100 old coins, with the newest being 1892. It was literally the easiest site I've ever detected. I used a WOT coil and it was a farm field. Every signal you got was some kind of coin. I didn't dig a single piece of iron or even hear the machine null but maybe once out of over 20 swings or so. The only time I dug any kind of 'trash,' I was next to the road and it was the odd pop can. It was such a unique place to hunt. But once it was hunted, there was no more hunting it unless they were to deep plow it. There was just no iron to mask anything. And since every signal was a coin, I dug several old nickel 3 cents and silver 3 cents as well.

To answer the question of what type of site has silver and no iron, it was an old campground that apparently had no buildings on it. Just a spot for people to camp for the night during their travels.
OK ..You used a WOT coil but what kind of detector did you use ???

Attachments

• imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 823
  • imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 830

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not fuss over the strength of your machine. True metal detecting strength lies deep within one's metal detecting abilities.
Wanting a stronger machine for silver is akin to wanting a car that runs better on gasoline.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have lost faith in your machine,once that happens it is not easily regained.....you have two choices,accept what your machine can give or buy another....plain and simple...me,I bought another,followed by a couple more,I ended up with the etrac,I now have full confidence in my machine again,and I learned alot along the way by using different brands...
Good Luck
Soup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread