Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning my "Dug up" Clad Coins

Hey All....Wasnt sure where to Post this...So i tried here :dontknow:

Anyway...Its coming to the End of the Year and Im getting ready to do my final count on my Clad Finds for the year.
I plan on dumping it after the holidays..But dont want to Piss off the bank by dumping my nasty change there.
In fact a few weeks back i had a box of Halves to dump and the teller told me how someone dumped in a bunch of change with dirt and it screwd the machine up.

So I'm trying to keep it cool with my Dump bank..

Which brings me here...I have right around 200 dollars in Clad i found this year and wanted to know the best (Cheapist) way to clean these coins ?

they have all been "Rinsed" but as you all know..they are still all gnarly looking..Any suggestions?

I dont expect to bring back there luster by any means...just want them clean enough not to look like a fool at the dump machine

thanks

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Cleaning my "Dug up" Clad Coins

coinstar

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
No way..its right around 9 percent..My bank takes it and deposits it right in the account without fees....Im Cheap :laughing7:

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax

Single barrel rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. Dishwashing liquid and aquarium gravel does a great job.

Dave

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well you did say you did not want to PO the bank --with dirty coins

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Best way is to use rock tumbler and clean them that way. Harbor Freight has an inexpensive tumbler that will work. Just be sure to get an extra belt as they have been know to break.

If you want a better quality unit then get a Lortone tumbler. The cost a bit more but are better quality in MHO. I own both.

Ray S ECenFL

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

DKinPA said:
Single barrel rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. Dishwashing liquid and aquarium gravel does a great job.

Dave

what he said.....

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the tips Y'all

Dec 19, 2010
Grove City ,Ohio

I tumble my coins all year long,using an harbor frieght double tumbler and a hand full of BB's some dish detergent,then i roll them up,never had any trouble turning them in,close to $850.00 this season along,it all adds up at the end of the year,best of luck,Dave

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

what they said. love my tumbler. I usually net around 200.00 a year; however, the kids and husband found the quarter stash and I am at about 85.00 so far in the rest of the coinage. found some wheaties in the mess. Never had any trouble rolling and turning them in. Happy New YEAR.

dale68

Jan 12, 2009

I also use a tumbler for coin cleaning. Use aquarium gravel,a little water and a couple drops of dish soap,it workes well. Keep the cents separate from clad and nickles as if run together it discolors the clad & nickels. I take them to my bank in a coffee can and it is run through a machine that counts and separates them. When I asked the teller if they should be rolled she said no because she'd have to unroll them to run through the machine to get an accurate count. Call your bank,if they have a machine just take them in in a can,bag or whatever.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300

I used to put them in a plastic bottle with some detergent and pellets and shake them till they looked better.

Now I just spend them as is. If you're worried about cashier looks or comments, use them in vending machines, no problem unless they're bent--if so, a couple of hits with a hammer makes 'em good again. :thumbsup:

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you dont want to spend the money for a tumbler just take a plastic botle that is not round so the coins will tumble and atach it to an electric drill variable speed put your coins in with gravel or sand and dawn liquid a lil bit of water and turn it on. most guys have the makings for this in their garage at a no chrge hope this helps

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro

Here's mine:

Attachments

• tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 4,097
  • tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 3,934

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I took 76 in clad that was discolored not dirty to my bank.They took it with a smile and gave me my cash with a smile.Most of it was black.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

A rock tumbler is what I use but I bought it for 10 bucks at a yard sale. If you're not finding piles of clad coins all the time I would think the 9% at the coinstar machine is cheaper than getting set up to clean your own. I do like the pic of the home made setup with the drill & the coffee can and you did say you were cheap.. :laughing9:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I use an ultrasonic sink. Put the clad in a sandwich bag with some soap and water and turn it on for a couple minutes. Rearange the coins and do it again. Cleans them up enough to roll or take to the bank. I got my machine from harbor freight. Been working fine for me for about 2 years.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions