Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mts
    us
    May 2009
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver ÁMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
    5 times

Re: TOT LOT ETIQUETTE

Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman
    . Or little johnny doing a kamakazi jump off the swings right on your coil. (Yep, happened to one of my hunting partners)
    I think that's where the whole idea of tot lot etiquette comes into play. I don't detect near the swings if kids are on them. Your hunting partner probably should have found another place to detect in the tot lot that was further away from the children. Then his detector wouldn't have been in danger.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    59 times

He was at the far end of one of those play structures, the kid climbed up from the far end ran across & jumped. I was hunting in the grass a ways away & saw it happen. From my side of the coin, I wanted to roll on the ground laughing, but from his side it was enough to make you cry. If I had video of it, it'd be hillarious.

But it was a lesson learned.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Id rather be there ^ than here

Jul 2010
    Naples, Fl
    whites M6, Surfmaster PI

I usualy go to parks later in the day and when it gets dark and everyone leaves, i go to the tot lots (they are next to tennis courts so its lit up and im with my dad, so its safe). also being 14, i get away with more
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

us
    Nov 2008
    Baytown, Texas
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
    2 times

Learned this one from geocaching....

carry a clipboard with you and wear an orange vest and hardhat. Most people won't give you a second look. They'll most likely think you're some type of surveyor, contractor, or company employee trying to locate markers or such.

Just suggesting... it works with geocaching quite well.
    Terrafisher
    Digging The Texas Gulf Coast - 77521
    TxGC-77521 www.geocaching.com

"remembering the Jetco Mustang... wow, that was a long time ago..."
    First gold ring 2011: 04/23/2011 - 10k band (1/16" wide by 13/16" diameter)

ca
    Mar 2011
    Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbatts
    Totlots are part of my sunrise tour. Kids who drop, even throw mems down without regard for them will sometimes go nuts when you're there. Many will not ask but if they think you've got a target they'll start tearing into the dirt under your coil.

And liars?!? Biggest lairs on earth are the little ones around you sometimes. Had them tell me their aunt, cousin, mom and pet dog lost whatever I found. Without ever laying eyes on it.

Other times it's all good and only one or two kids will approach and seem genuinely interested.

Overall, get out when kids step in is my advice. Just move on to another totlot. There's so many of them out there these days you hop from playground to playground fairly quickly.

One thing I don't understand is the design of modern playground equipment. There's gotta be something wrong with them people. Those Picasso-esque designs are beyond my ability to figure out.
    BAWAHAHAHAH! Awww man, I just about shot a nice stream of water outta' my nose with the liar comment! Damn that was funny... Hee, hee...

Yeah, the little ones sure have a GREAT imagination and are pretty creative when it comes to 'buried treasure'! Heh, heh...

To the OP.... I've ONLY done TOT lots when they're empty and mostly just before dark or first thing in the AM in order to make sure that I wasn't being bothered and some 'Mom' or 'Babysitter' wasn't worried about little 'Johnny or Suzie' going to play because of the weirdo digging holes under the slide.. :P

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have a black tee shirt with big white letters on the back that say "BOMB SQUAD" for some reason no one comes near me in the parks.

us
    Sep 2010
    Cocoa, FL
    Ace 250
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbatts
    And liars?!? Biggest lairs on earth are the little ones around you sometimes. Had them tell me their aunt, cousin, mom and pet dog lost whatever I found. Without ever laying eyes on it.

That's why you keep an old pull tab in your pocket!!
    ~~ It's beeping! Why is it beeping!---Arrrh, not another beer can! ~~

us
    Jun 2009
    Hayden, Idaho
    Minelab X-Terra 705, Bounty Hunter
    5 times

I usually hit them early when no ones around.

us
    Jun 2007
    Belvidere, IL
    Garrett AT Pro, E-Trac
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Just don't stare at the children.
    Detector: Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-trac

1876 Seated Dime
    1923 Mercury Dime

us
    Mar 2011

I'm new to this but I would say to just go early or in bad weather and leave when the kids show up. I'll be hitting some Tot Lots in a couple of weeks and will post results if I can find the cord for my camera. Found an old train station that is no longer there to detect before the playgrounds.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9355 times

Quote Originally Posted by clearblk
    I'm new to this but I would say to just go early or in bad weather and leave when the kids show up. I'll be hitting some Tot Lots in a couple of weeks and will post results if I can find the cord for my camera. Found an old train station that is no longer there to detect before the playgrounds.
    I hunt tot lots and I could care less if there are kids there or what parents there think....It is my taxes that pays for the up keep of the park as well as the kids education....If I am going to pay for it, I am going to use it..........

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Jul 2010
    New Hampshire USA
    Fisher F70
    43 times
    Metal Detecting

If there are kids there I usually stay to the edges or the area that they aren't playing, but I do most of my detecting in tot lots at night from 9pm-1am so I rarely see kids.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    762 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

me I always show folks that come up on me the trash and other "dangerous" items i remove from the tot lot areas --once they see I'm removing threats to lil johnny or suzy's safety --they get a much better attitude toward the "crazy old detector dude" and will be much more likely to be pro let the detector dudes detect in the park

if mobbed by a bunch of kids -- I move on normally -- but if it is just one , I might not -- if they are polite and not overly bothersome -- I will show them what I'm doing and let them dig up a coin --with the parents ok of course (normally its the mom out with em)

remember in todays world if some nitwit wants to try banning detecting in your local parks --it pays to have "freinds" to show up at the public hearing on it * --and doing a bit of good "pr" can help turn folks from not a friend into a freind of metal detecting

us
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mar 2008
    32░46′58″N 96░48′14″W
    My other detector is a helicopter
    13 times

Sunday morning, 0630 to 0900 every week.

No one around and all the loot is mine
    If you find me upside down, Roll me over.

"I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads       
          without having their motives questioned..."

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    714 times
    tectin crap

Good tot lot etiquette opens doors to good tot loot.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors