TOT LOT ETIQUETTE

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am not big on hunting tot lots. Maybe I just feel like a dork in a play ground. :dontknow: Nevertheless I have hunted a few. It is no doubt great finds come from the wood chips as many people prove daily. On the rare occasion that I do hit a tot lot, I ALWAYS make sure that I am the only person there, which is no easy feat. And I leave the moment anyone else shows up. How do you guys do it? Do you just swing the coil under little Johnny's feet? Am I the only one who feels like I am intruding by being there? Am I just shy and too self aware? Do most of you tot lot hunters mix it up with the moms and kids? :wav:

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clearblk said:
I'm new to this but I would say to just go early or in bad weather and leave when the kids show up. I'll be hitting some Tot Lots in a couple of weeks and will post results if I can find the cord for my camera. Found an old train station that is no longer there to detect before the playgrounds.

I hunt tot lots and I could care less if there are kids there or what parents there think....It is my taxes that pays for the up keep of the park as well as the kids education....If I am going to pay for it, I am going to use it..........

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there are kids there I usually stay to the edges or the area that they aren't playing, but I do most of my detecting in tot lots at night from 9pm-1am so I rarely see kids.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
me I always show folks that come up on me the trash and other "dangerous" items i remove from the tot lot areas --once they see I'm removing threats to lil johnny or suzy's safety --they get a much better attitude toward the "crazy old detector dude" and will be much more likely to be pro let the detector dudes detect in the park :wink: :icon_thumright:

if mobbed by a bunch of kids -- I move on normally -- but if it is just one , I might not -- if they are polite and not overly bothersome -- I will show them what I'm doing and let them dig up a coin --with the parents ok of course (normally its the mom out with em)

remember in todays world if some nitwit wants to try banning detecting in your local parks --it pays to have "freinds" to show up at the public hearing on it * --and doing a bit of good "pr" can help turn folks from not a friend into a freind of metal detecting ;D

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting subject. I'm a girl, I got no problems there. But, if there's too many, I'll pass it by, for later. I do like Ivan, I show them the nails, metal, and bad junk I dig up. I tell them, "I'm looking for buried treasure, but I mostly find buried TRASH, so please don't be a litter-bug!" and we all laugh and learn a lesson.

Some times, They will want to hang with me and watch, I make them all walk behind me, till I find a target, we look like a momma duck with babies all in line! LOL! I fake them out sometimes, tell them something there, or throw a penny or two down, tell them, start digging, and they do. They get bored with me quick enough.

They have inacted a local ordinance in Miami Fl, because of all the pedophiles, that if you don't have a kid, you DON"T go into a public park with kids in it, especially if you are male. (Civil rights issue?)
I don't go to Miami alone period, so I've never tryed to test them on it. Again, I'm with Ivan, go to your city/county meetings, be a voice, the rest of the country may not have the problems like Miami does. I find that always wearing a SMILE of encouragement for all, seems to dispell fears.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have very rarely had a Problem at a tot lot I'm 6 ft 4 Male and Ugly a All Heck I Know Red Is going to Kick My Butt for this comment!!!

I always look around And try to get Eye contact with the Parents Of Kids Who are Hanging Around An a Lot of times If the Kids are Being behaved I will Hand them A Dirty coin to Go show their Parents Most of the time they will Loose it before leaving the Park!!!!! HH Chug

If they parents get Rude with Me I try to relax them By talking to them a Little then Move away, If they Are extremely rude ( I may give them A little Attitude!!!!) It Only Happens once or twice a year!!! 99 percent of the time the Parents Come Up With the Kids to tell Them What I'm doing Then I get to Play show A tell ( I Really Enjoy this Part ) Ill dig Into My pocket And Show What I have found!!!! I also show them all of the Trash I dug Up also!!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
pat-tekker-cat said:
Interesting subject. I'm a girl, I got no problems there. But, if there's too many, I'll pass it by, for later. I do like Ivan, I show them the nails, metal, and bad junk I dig up. I tell them, "I'm looking for buried treasure, but I mostly find buried TRASH, so please don't be a litter-bug!" and we all laugh and learn a lesson.

Some times, They will want to hang with me and watch, I make them all walk behind me, till I find a target, we look like a momma duck with babies all in line! LOL! I fake them out sometimes, tell them something there, or throw a penny or two down, tell them, start digging, and they do. They get bored with me quick enough.

They have inacted a local ordinance in Miami Fl, because of all the pedophiles, that if you don't have a kid, you DON"T go into a public park with kids in it, especially if you are male. (Civil rights issue?)
I don't go to Miami alone period, so I've never tryed to test them on it. Again, I'm with Ivan, go to your city/county meetings, be a voice, the rest of the country may not have the problems like Miami does. I find that always wearing a SMILE of encouragement for all, seems to dispell fears.

Very disturbing situation in Miami. Get the hell out of there!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gleaner, it is distrubing, but this is the reality of our country, in some places.
I live in Ft. Laud. Broward county, we tease, we only GO THRU Miami, on the way to the Keys, being sure not to stop, till we get to Monroe cty.! LOL!

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'll hit them up when it's overcast or misting out because I also get uncomfortable when others are in the nearby vicinity. If it's a damp and dreary day, but there are school or town teams practicing on a connected field then usually the kids that would be on the playground are sitting with the parents in the vehicles.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit the tot lots every night after work. Usually I want until it's almost dark and everyone is gone, but I do go there during the day. As long as it's not FULL I will go in.

99% of the time the moms and dads are cool and ask the typical what do you find questions.

I've never had anyone be anything other than nice. One time a guy was evil eying me, but in after a few minutes he was asking "what are you finding" with a big curious look on his face.

Don't be shy. Most people don't mind if you detect. Just have respect and let the kids play. Stay away from them and work your way around the lot.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I don't understand is the design of modern playground equipment. There's gotta be something wrong with them people. Those Picasso-esque designs are beyond my ability to figure out.

Amen! When I was a kid we had a solid wooden playground with all sorts of hidden passageways and areas to hang out that were hidden from view. There were also massive tractor tires stacked next to each other and we would run across the tops of them. Our solution to safety? - make sure you have good footing! The modern solution to safety - tear down the old playgrounds and build piece of crap safe plastic things

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH and to the OP I usually just beat the kids down :headbang:

just messin around!

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I just go and detect them. I'm not going to be guilted into thinking I'm doing something wrong. I think most parents understand exactly what you're there for when they see the detector. One time I was doing one and this lil guy of about 5 came up to me to see what I was doing and I explained it to him. His mom also came over and was interested too and was very cordial with me talking to her son. The funniest part was when I bent down to dig a signal and the little feller put his hand on my shoulder all excited to see what I found.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the tot lot post. I hate it when the little kids ride their bikes over to see what the heck is going on. I bee line it to the back forty. I dont want to be seen talking to six year old kids, in today's age, I could be seen as a potential pedophile or kidnapper, sorry to say. Nobody really cares around here but you never know. Sure enough the lil bastages make it to me and I end up having to talk to them. Like the other day, a couple little girls wanted to show off their new bikes. One says Hey you like my new bike? Its just like my friends! I say those are so cool! Then, one says "I seen another metal detector guy here the other day". I says "Really?..". She says "Yup! And his name is Tony". Ha! I know Tony, that guy has been hittin my spots lately. I gotta put an end to that somehow. Thanks for the info tot kids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread