TOT LOT ETIQUETTE

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am not big on hunting tot lots. Maybe I just feel like a dork in a play ground. :dontknow: Nevertheless I have hunted a few. It is no doubt great finds come from the wood chips as many people prove daily. On the rare occasion that I do hit a tot lot, I ALWAYS make sure that I am the only person there, which is no easy feat. And I leave the moment anyone else shows up. How do you guys do it? Do you just swing the coil under little Johnny's feet? Am I the only one who feels like I am intruding by being there? Am I just shy and too self aware? Do most of you tot lot hunters mix it up with the moms and kids? :wav:

Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unscientific answer: it depends.

For each of us, the answer will be different.

I read the Mom; if she's uptight, I leave. If not, I may stay and move to the fringes. I'm a social character, and can strike up a conversation with strangers, but it's important to know when that's OK.

In the end, the tot lot is made for them, not me. It is great to be a kid, and noble to be a Mother, but for me it's just a past time.

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
I too find it a little uncomfortable to hunt a tot lot with children there. Usually I have one or two approach me to ask what I am doing. That's when I notice the mom to see what her expression is, if it is a positive one I then ask her if it's OK to give the child a coin thus eliminating any tension while there. I have always been told to go ahead and give them a penny but not necessary and have never been met with any negativity.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:icon_sunny: Like you, Ron, I find it easier to just leave and come back another time when the kids start showing up. Makes it easier for everyone.

HH

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Totlots are part of my sunrise tour. Kids who drop, even throw mems down without regard for them will sometimes go nuts when you're there. Many will not ask but if they think you've got a target they'll start tearing into the dirt under your coil.

And liars?!? Biggest lairs on earth are the little ones around you sometimes. Had them tell me their aunt, cousin, mom and pet dog lost whatever I found. Without ever laying eyes on it.

Other times it's all good and only one or two kids will approach and seem genuinely interested.

Overall, get out when kids step in is my advice. Just move on to another totlot. There's so many of them out there these days you hop from playground to playground fairly quickly.

One thing I don't understand is the design of modern playground equipment. There's gotta be something wrong with them people. Those Picasso-esque designs are beyond my ability to figure out.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are a lot of people I would not stop, but if the playground is large and obviously big
enough for them to play on "that" side and me to swing on "this" side then I might tempt it.
Only rarely have I had kids recently come up to me....
In this day and age a metal detector is not the romantic "treasure machine" of the past and most
people, kids included know what you have and what your doing...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to find it real uncomfortable when i would hit those around here...the first time i went out a woman in her mid 40's said to me "Well arent you having fun?..My son has a Metal detector"

at first i just brushed it off...but i felt like an idiot being a grown man out there hanging out at the playgrounds...But that was when i first started dectecting..Now i could careless what i look like..But there has been cases where kids(little ones) will show up with there parents..and i always leave the area for them to play in..Other times i will see some kids maybe 10-14..much to old to be on the equipment..When i see them..i figure..I was here first..so they usally stay away once they see the lesche digger in my hand :laughing7:

But most the time there is a grassy area i will hit around ..in fact i usally find more change in the grassy areas :dontknow:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
if there are kids on the equipment i just go hit a grass area someplace else. i hit areas like that early morning to avoid traffic. i couldn't imagine anyone detecting right under little jimmy's feet at the swings, just like detecting over peoples towels and shoes at the beach. it all falls pretty much under general etiquette........you would think ::)

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's just one of those situations where the detectorist feels uncomfortable but everyone around them could care less. I usually save tot lots for early morning or cold weather hunts.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Headlamp and hunt at night...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
Headlamp and hunt at night...

Done that...Thats how i started Detecting...At night..or in the rain...But after a few months i grew some :thumbsup: and started hitting them early in the morning..but im usally looking for something old so i dont hit them much anymore

Dec 19, 2010
Grove City ,Ohio
When tecting tot lots and you get approached by kids ,just grab the littlest one and beat the others off with him ,they leave you along real quick :laughing7:,no really if i am by myself and kids show up i head 180degs the other direction to get away from them,don't want parents thinking I'm some pervert looking for small kids...If ihave my hunting pard along then we just hunt around them giving little johnnie all the room he needs,now if i show up to tect and see another tector working that spot,I just drive to a different place to tect...We have lots of tecting pressure in my neck of the woods,Dave

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Ron, I feel the same way! I would much rather hunt in the woods or a private lot. But the addiction to this hobby is such that the need to go hunting overwhelms the self-conciousness. The few years I have been detecting I never seem to have had any negative feelings from others derected at me, in fact the few people who do come up and speak have been very friendly and have made the hunt that much more enjoyable!! I'm sure I'll meet up with unpleasant people eventually, but for now in my town metal detecting is'nt illegal in city parks and as far as I'm concerned parks are to be enjoyed by everyone, including responsible metal detectorists.

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Bum Luck said:
In the end, the tot lot is made for them, not me. It is great to be a kid, and noble to be a Mother, but for me it's just a past time.

Beautifully expressed B L..That's exactly how I see it.
I usually only hunt the ones on the way to better hunting grounds, ::) and then in
the early morning.

prodrigsr

Mar 12, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I too leave. To me they have priority as far as tot lots go. There will always be a tomorrow.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Well. Well. Well - this is one of those advantage goes to the chick thing. I don't have any problem at tot lots at all. I prefer to have them to myself. I have never had a parent give me the "look." I usually leave if its busy out of respect for what the area was designed for...kids. If there just a few, I give a class, chat up the parents to see if they have a "I lost my jewelry" story.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Iskuli said:
Well. Well. Well - this is one of those advantage goes to the chick thing. I don't have any problem at tot lots at all. I prefer to have them to myself. I have never had a parent give me the "look." I usually leave if its busy out of respect for what the area was designed for...kids. If there just a few, I give a class, chat up the parents to see if they have a "I lost my jewelry" story.

Texas huh? Are you the one that has been cleaning them out around here?

One thing about tot lots, they really push my speed detecting to a new level! I am in an out in 10 minutes. Last time I got up early to hit one, there were a dozen high school girls there at 6AM doing yoga.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
yep. I do well; espeically with rings. My average is about 100 a year. I prefer swimming holes when I can find them to tot lots. I use those for quick hunts and clad for Wendy's hamburgers. Girls gotta eat, right?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW said:
Iskuli said:

One thing about tot lots, they really push my speed detecting to a new level! I am in an out in 10 minutes. Last time I got up early to hit one, there were a dozen high school girls there at 6AM doing yoga.

Damn...we must be going to the same park..the last time i went to a tot lot the sun wasnt even up but there were about 10 highschool girls doing yoga..or some kind of dancing :dontknow:

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
RW said:
Iskuli said:

Damn...we must be going to the same park..the last time i went to a tot lot the sun wasnt even up but there were about 10 highschool girls doing yoga..or some kind of dancing :dontknow:

That was in Crowley. Where you at? Lets dig some holes! Maybe bottles...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread