Buying a new detector ~ recommendations?

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Y'all,

Finally decided to take the plunge, and soon. Looks like Kellyco may have a new customer unless Y'all chime in with better deals elsewhere. While price isn't the deciding factor, I'd prefer something in/less than the $1K range.

I want dual use with the new machine, white sand saltwater beaches here in GA (I live on the coast) and coinshooting older sites in south GA's sandy soil. Main focus will be jewelry on the beaches and older & deeper coins on land.

Waterproof is a given, and lighter weight is a must due to old spinial injuries. I'd like enough discrimination capability to avoid digging iron junk, especially on land as old knee injuries are going to plague me with the kneeling required. Yeah, 20 years in the US Army Combat Engineers took it's toll...

Reading a lot of hype on Garrett's AT Pro, and I'm leaning towards it having owned Garrett long ago. The only other detectors I have any experience with were military landmine detectors (and yup, I've used 'em in minefields). Anyone willing to share experiences/comments, both pro & con, on the AT Pro? Recommendations for other units that meet my "must have" requirements are also welcome.

Two other recommendations solicitated - a well designed, sturdy sand scoop long enough to minimize kneeling on the beach (I'm six feet tall), and a well engineered/constructed digging tool for land use. Accessories have really evolved since my days of using a garden trowel.

Looking forward to what Y'all have to say.
Robin

Upvote 0

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Buying a new detector ~recommendations?

If you require a waterproof detector then your choices are very limited.

The new Garrett AT PRO is waterproof and so far has been getting good reports on its performance.

That sounds like the way to go.

Willee

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CaptainRobin said:
Hey Y'all,

Finally decided to take the plunge, and soon. Looks like Kellyco may have a new customer unless Y'all chime in with better deals elsewhere. While price isn't the deciding factor, I'd prefer something in/less than the $1K range.

I want dual use with the new machine, white sand saltwater beaches here in GA (I live on the coast) and coinshooting older sites in south GA's sandy soil. Main focus will be jewelry on the beaches and older & deeper coins on land.

Waterproof is a given, and lighter weight is a must due to old spinial injuries. I'd like enough discrimination capability to avoid digging iron junk, especially on land as old knee injuries are going to plague me with the kneeling required. Yeah, 20 years in the US Army Combat Engineers took it's toll...

Reading a lot of hype on Garrett's AT Pro, and I'm leaning towards it having owned Garrett long ago. The only other detectors I have any experience with were military landmine detectors (and yup, I've used 'em in minefields). Anyone willing to share experiences/comments, both pro & con, on the AT Pro? Recommendations for other units that meet my "must have" requirements are also welcome.

Two other recommendations solicitated - a well designed, sturdy sand scoop long enough to minimize kneeling on the beach (I'm six feet tall), and a well engineered/constructed digging tool for land use. Accessories have really evolved since my days of using a garden trowel.

Looking forward to what Y'all have to say.
Robin

I have a White's XLT and the new Garrett AT-Pro. Very limited experence, but I do have to say I like the AT-Pro so far. It's light weight and easy to use. I don't have any experence on the beach with it yet, waiting til summer.

As for digging tools, check out Predatortools.com, you won't find any higher quality digging tools available.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just bought the Garrett AT Pro and if you are considering it you should go to the Garrett section of this forum to read what myself and others have to say about it first. At first I was concerned about how it would work on saltwater beaches in the wet sand but Max of VA. has used his with no trouble on Virginia beachs. My hunting will be inland now and while I have many other more expensive detectors I can say without a doubt that the king of the beaches is the Sovereign GT for many reasons. Many have said it is the land version of the Excal 1000 but it is so much more. It it has a down side it is because it isn't water proof like the Excal. The AT Pro is advertised as waterproof to ten feet.

Besides the Excal, it is able to respond to a gold ring that is buried deeply and under a nail to boot. Most detectors will miss the ring because of the masking effect of the nail. There are a few video's out on the use of the Garrett which are a must to watch before you buy.

I would look first for a local dealer before ordering from Kellyco though. With a local dealer you will get to bring it home with you no matter which one you buy. Prices will be the same no matter where you buy and the only difference will be the junk they will toss in at a inflated price. But the main reason to buy locally is you won't have UPS tossing the box around and possibly knocking it out of calibration.

Tools to retrieve the goodies are many. For dry sand I like the screen type sifters like the long handled ones offered by RTG.

If wading in the water I like the Sunspot Stealth for its fast sifting and big bite. http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

Attachments

• Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 382
OP
OP
CaptainRobin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, everyone. Good info, and suggestions for more reviews for me to read. John posted a graph of air tests he did on the Garrett forum. Pro is looking real good to me as far as PMs are concerned. One negative leaning post on the General Discussion forum from the UK, but there the beaches are different than in SC, GA, and FL. They have stones, we have white sand. Seems the only mineralization I'm going to experience here is salt.

I really like the sandscoops pictured above. Wooden handle =s bouyancy. I don't like the idea of having to go under to retrieve a dropped scoop.

Forgot to mention a pinpointer for land use. Leaning towards Garrett, brand loyality.
Robin

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CaptainRobin said:
Thanks, everyone. Good info, and suggestions for more reviews for me to read. John posted a graph of air tests he did on the Garrett forum. Pro is looking real good to me as far as PMs are concerned. One negative leaning post on the General Discussion forum from the UK, but there the beaches are different than in SC, GA, and FL. They have stones, we have white sand. Seems the only mineralization I'm going to experience here is salt.

I really like the sandscoops pictured above. Wooden handle =s bouyancy. I don't like the idea of having to go under to retrieve a dropped scoop.

Forgot to mention a pinpointer for land use. Leaning towards Garrett, brand loyality.
Robin

For the love of finding DON'T buy a Garrett single freq. unit to hunt salt water! You're buying into the hype from the same people who push EVERY Garrett detector that comes to market. It actually bugs me seeing how many people are buying their first detector and Garrett is at the top of the list, and it's all from reading the BS we see year after year. I have no problem with Garrett detectors, and both my hunting bud and I have found a pile with ours, but I have salt water all around me and a Garrett single freq. is a joke that won't shut up with false signals when hunting there. In the range of a $1,000 is a very good budget for a detector so spend it wisely!

PS... Most people find there targets in the ground, not the air! :laughing7: Maybe I should make a video of how my Minelab can see through a nail to see a dime. ;D All ridiculous.

And good luck with whatever you choose! Sites count more than detectors, but when it comes to salt water you need a detector that can handle it.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I.P. i agree with you to a point , while a bunch of machines can cross over to the wet sand
many will lose a lot of depth having to dial back sensitivity to run stable.

C.R. has a tall order , looking for light weight and waterproof.
CR do you need a waterproof machine.
Are you going in the water or just wet sand and if going in the water
just to let you know it can be a little tough on the body.
Digging down 3 or 4 scoops while getting smacked by waves can wear on you.
Now if just in the wet sand it does not have to be WP .
If dry sand hunting most machines work fine. Good Luck.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
The Sovereign GT is a great salt water unit(proved) beach and shallow water,one of the best for this environment.These detector can be hip mounted or worn with a binocular harness.Depth or target response never an issue with the Minelab Sovereign.Better ergonomics than an Excal.

OP
OP
CaptainRobin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry 'bout the lag time for a reply. Been busy, prepping the garden and tiling Honey's kitchen, AND going through my father-in-law's stash of silver coin...

Valid points, all. Weight of the machine is a MAJOR issue due to cervical spine injuries. Waterproof is also REQUIRED. I have land and freshwater & saltwater sites I wish to search, and I don't want to have to transport more than one machine. I have NO intention of being over knee deep in saltwater. After a stint shrimping for a few years, I DON'T want to be deeper in saltwater than I can see bottom. Wave action here on the GA coast is minimal except during Nor'easters, and I probably won't go out to detect while one is blowing. I've had enough of eating sand in the First Gulf War and in trainng exercises at The National Training Center. I don't like being rained on, and I hate the cold. Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to be retired and nearly all of my time is my own (excepting Honey-Dos) so I can lay up in the house or my shop when the weather's bad.

I appreciate ALL of the responses and recommendations. As I have NO local detector suppliers where I can compare different machine's weight, balance, feel, and performance I went with my gut having previously owned two Garrett machines... the AT Pro.

I'll let Y'all know how it does. I have a mid-1800s cemetary across the road from me. My property is where the mourners would have parked their buggies during internments. I have a chance of recovering bust/seated coin literally in my front yard. And for those about to get their panties in a wad, NO!!! I WILL NOT detect in the cemetary.
Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread