Whites TR Discriminator from Sears

C

codeman

White's TR Discriminator from Sears

I just bought a White's TR Discriminator for $3 at a rummage sale. I have never been metal detecting before, but have always wanted to. So i don't know the first thing about how to operate it or if it even works. I bought 9V batterys for it yesterday and the battery test button and light work, volume control and speaker works from what i can tell. But i don't know how to use the other nob or auto tuner or if they work. There's no headphones. I put my keys on the ground and ran it over them, but couldn't hear a difference in the wine. Any help would be greatly apresheated.

codeman

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: White's TR Discriminator from Sears

I'm pretty sure a TR Disc unit is good where the ground is not heavily mineralized, but as soon as you hit ground minerals, it doesn't work well. That's why White's came out with G.E.B. (ground exclusion balance) which improves things.

Try an "air test" off the ground by moving your keys past the coil while the coil is not near any possible ground minerals, belt buckles, cell phones, etc. If it still doesn't work, check the tone setting. You might have to download the manual for that Sears unit, they should have it on the White's website. Go by the model # on the side, I think the last 5 or 6 digits.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets see if I remember how to do this TR tuning right. Turn down the Discrinination. Hold the coil about a 6 inches off the ground and adjust the tuning till you barely hear a tone. Drop the coil to the ground and scan keeping the coil either on the ground or about an inch above it and run it over a nickle. If it beeps, turn up Discrimination till nickle makes no sound then back it off a little again till you can hear the nickle. The best part of TR detectors is the coil doesn't always have to be in motion to make a sound and usually pinpointed exactly.

Did I remember it right guys? It's been years since I used my old C & G Bobcat.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound

If there are no instructions with the detector, you probably can go onto Whites web site and download a manual from their archives or email them requesting one. Happy Hunting.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

petersra said:
If there are no instructions with the detector, you probably can go onto Whites web site and download a manual from their archives or email them requesting one. Happy Hunting.

Right you are Petersra!

Codeman, just go to the following link page, find your White's Sears unit in the list, and click on it:

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/Sears Manuals/

OP
OP
C

codeman

I tryed tuning it by the manual and this forum topic and nothing has seemed to work. It would just wine there was no beeping or change in pitch. Could it be something i'm doing wrong or something wrong with the detector like the coil. ??? It's an old detector so it could just not work. It was only $3 so oh well. Thanks for the help.

codeman

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Old thread,,, but i picked this up at a garage sale yesterday for ,,,you guessed it,, 3.00 bucks. copied the manual from the site PBK posted.. so this is some good info still today. Ill try it out this week. seen them buy it now on ebay for over 100.00, but dont know how well they work.

Attachments

• DSCN3296.JPG
    DSCN3296.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 1,685

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions