MXT for nugget shooting

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the MXT300 and it does very well on coins. I live in AZ and have tried hard for gold near Yuma with no results. I've followed all the operating manual advice and watched several videos, not to mention going where gold HAS been found before. I've read that for gold one needs a detector specifically designed for gold. Suggestions have been the GMT, Minelab Eureka, GB II, Garrett Gold Stinger and of course the GPX 4500 or 5000 (if you have the $$). Several folks have said to avoid a combo rig like the MXT for gold because they are substandard. Any thoughts? I have the 4x6, 6x10 and 12" coils.

Upvote 0

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a completely different animal in prospecting mode. It will find the small stuff but you might not be hearing what it is telling you. Pick up a 3 or 5 grain practise nugget and bury it the next time you are in the field. Take 30 minutes to train your ears to the sounds it is making while using a real nugget in the actual ground you are searching.

Play around with the Gain and Sat settings while practising to tune it to the ground. You want it to make as distinct a sound as possible. Spending a little time tuning your machine and ears beforehand will increase your chances of hearing that sweet "Zip" and finding the good stuff.

Steve

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a freind that hunts with the MXT for gold and he finds very small nugguts with it. Last year he bought the TDI that is surpose to be a gold machine and this year he soldit because the MXT would find smaller nugguts. So you just need to work with your machine and learn it....Matt

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas, all good advice! I have the MXT Edge, just got a copy from a friend who came upon it. I will check out the link as well. I was thinking about the TDI to add a PI unit to my tool belt - for the deeper stuff, but I'll wait until I'm fully retired before I do that. I want to keep the MXT because I like the way it's set up. I'll just keep at it for now. Again, thanks to all!

Willy

First thing to do is get a DD coil cause the stock coil sux for nuggets. Then run it at MAX sensitivity and maybe on Hypersat. All in prospecting mode. Might also want to leave tracking on. I was easily popping 1/3 grain 'nuggets' (if you can call them that) with ease using those settings, 6x10" DD, in ground reading 84+ on the MXT VDI. ..Willy.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy said:
First thing to do is get a DD coil cause the stock coil sux for nuggets. Then run it at MAX sensitivity and maybe on Hypersat. All in prospecting mode. Might also want to leave tracking on. I was easily popping 1/3 grain 'nuggets' (if you can call them that) with ease using those settings, 6x10" DD, in ground reading 84+ on the MXT VDI. ..Willy.

I have three colis - 4x6 DD Shooter, 6x10 and 12" I'll try your advice and see what happens, thanks!

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bricky said:
Thanks fellas, all good advice! I have the MXT Edge, just got a copy from a friend who came upon it. I will check out the link as well. I was thinking about the TDI to add a PI unit to my tool belt - for the deeper stuff, but I'll wait until I'm fully retired before I do that. I want to keep the MXT because I like the way it's set up. I'll just keep at it for now. Again, thanks to all!
Put you some .22 cal. bullets on the ground, tune everything in, now your ready to find gold. I used a MXT to find small pieces of gold years ago and was finding .22 cal. bullets as well, it might not show up on your meter but you will get a grinding sound when you find gold, hope this helps.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try the .22's and see how that works out, thanks for the tip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread