Railroad Depot?!

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
My dad is a train driver and sees OLDER places all the time. He knows of a few railroad depots, are they worth going too? Any suggestions on what mode I should use my ACE250 so far I haven't found anything worth while (besides civil war relics, OLD CHURCH hinges). I want to find old money/relics!! Let me know..I'm in Kentucky so there is plenty of old places to go 2.
Thanks
JT

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Your machine, your area, your soil conditions. All a little different from place to place. I haven't been doing this long, but I would say to set it as sensitive as you can, don't discriminate anything out and dig it all until you are confident that you know what your maching is trying to tell you, then back off if you need to either with sensitivity or discrimination. I found a 14K class ring last weekend by sight because my detector overheated and quit working. As it turns out, the detector would not have seen it if it had been working because I usually discriminate out iron on the beach and this ring showed up as iron on my detector when it cooled down and came back to life..... A train depot does sound like it could be productive, but maybe not if it is all concrete sidewalk. Get out there and try it. HH

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
grogmug said:
My dad is a train driver and sees OLDER places all the time. He knows of a few railroad depots, are they worth going too? Any suggestions on what mode I should use my ACE250 so far I haven't found anything worth while (besides civil war relics, OLD CHURCH hinges). I want to find old money/relics!! Let me know..I'm in Kentucky so there is plenty of old places to go 2.
Thanks
JT

Grog, what part of KY are in you in, that will help me tell you the right answer... Me personally I'm from the Raceland/Ashland area, your dad being with CSX I assume probably is familiar with the car shops in Raceland.

Anyway, I've been detecting a turn of the century railroad station, and only doing so-so. Lots and lots of junk, however, after doing a little research on the station, and looking at a few pictures, I found where the old horse tie off area was, and have dug a few coins, but alot of horse relics.
Plus, being so close to the tracks can give your detector some serious false readings.

Oh yeah, this reminds me of a joke. A blonde and a brunette are walking through the woods and come across some tracks. The blonde says "those are deer tracks" and the brunette says "no stupid, their bear tracks!"... While they were arguing the train came along and hit them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread