Heading to Tennessee Soon

U

ubersearcher

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Tennesse for another year of college and need some help on the local laws. From the state website it looks like state parks are completely off limits. Does that mean any of the beaches ran by the state are off limits too? Also, how do the local communities act about giving permission? How about most private property owners? Sorry about such a lengthy post and the many requests, but I am from Ohio and it is completely different up here. All state beaches are freely open, and I have a permit from a local state park to go wherever I want to within its boundaries. Not bragging, just thankful for the opportunities!

Also anyone in the Chester County/Middle Tennesse area that wants a metal detecting partner that has just started and that they would like to take under their wing please email me. I would love the advice and appreciate the guidance. Thanks.

Chris from Ohio (ubersearcher)

Upvote 0

dodgers11

Jun 4, 2003
Tennessee
State Parks are definitely off limits down here. However there are quite a few city and county parks that are perfectly fine to hunt. Just make sure you go to the local police station and ask if there are any ordinances against metal detecting in those areas. I have done this on many occasions. As to private property, that's a different matter. I've found that there are three types of people. 1. The people that say sure go ahead and have fun. 2. The people that say no. 3. The people that are a little weary of having "holes" in their yard. Look at it this way, you have a pretty good chance of getting to hunt. For the people that fit in #3, ask them if you can demonstrate how you dig and "repair" the hole or plug. Being surprised at how you can dig and leave no evidence of it, they'll more that likely say go ahead. Always be courteous, that's always a plus. Sorry to ramble, but I hope this helps.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TVA allows detecting on certain areas such as unoccupied campsites and within 100 ft. of boat launches. Check the laws. You need a free permit. Go to TVA website for info. Most city and county parks allow detecting but check locally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions