Metal Detecting on public lands in Oregon?

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
State parks needs written permission from the park superintendent. :o If you get checked in the forest, BLM, State or Forest Circus it is all right to prospect with a detector, but not ok for relic hunting. They define that as anything over 50 years old. :( So your always prospecting. ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've never been asked but once, and that was in town. Outside of town, I've never been asked. Always fill in your holes and take care of the area you are in. Leave it better than you found it, and there will be no reason for anyone to even START asking. ;)

And oh yeah, I do a lot of prospecting, too. And I'm always forgeting to empty my trash pouch, to boot! Man it seems like I always have a pocket full of rusty nails and bottlecaps to show someone who's interested.

OP
OP
O

OR_Cougar

Thanks for the info guys. I'm headed for the beach (Lincoln City area)for the weekend, hopefully I'll get lucky. ;D

Happy Hunting,
Darin

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
keep an eye out for agates, jasper, and glass floats around there. There is gold on that beach, but it is so fine it's not worth recovering as of yet. Fossils are not uncommon either. Have fun!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Many of the Oregon beaches will require that you buy a $10 permit before you hunt. I don't know which ones you need it for and which ones you don't, but I know for sure some of them require it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions