Please dont laugh...What should I do?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Please don't laugh...What should I do?

About 4 years ago, I went to a garage sale and bought a Radio Shack MD for $7, which was a bargain at the time. I think these were selling for $99 on sale at Radio Shack back then. It seems like they were selling for $40 to $50 on ebay.

I haven't used it much, and pretty much quit altogether out of frustration, and lack of knowing how to use it. I also think it was falsing quite a bit. It would hit a target and beep, and I would dig, but found nothing. I did find several coins on the surface, BTW.

This MD has a small screen that is supposed to show you what your target is, and has a single discrimination knob. I do not see a model number on this machine.

Here is a similar model on ebay, which is not mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-Dis...aultDomain_0&hash=item20b6c7d324#ht_707wt_932

I am now strongly considering the purchase of an ACE 250 as my first detector.

I'd love to get my daughter interested in MD...she is almost 10. I think this could be a wonderful hobby for the two of us to do together.

I can only afford to spend money on one MD at this time, and the ACE 250 fits that budget very well. I'd love to have a high end White's machine, but the investment is out of the question.

Should I keep the Radio Shack MD for my daughter, or try to sell it in my flea market booth?

What should I ask for the Radio Shack MD?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Re: Please don't laugh...What should I do?

One thing about discriminator detectors like the Ace and I presume the RS . . . My 250 will regularly be "fooled" by iron. Once I break the ground the signal disappears - because the iron is disc'd out! So, in this case you should either look at your detector's screen and see if you get a silent indication, or switch to all metal to see if the signal has jumped from a desirable tone to an undesirable one.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Re: Please don't laugh...What should I do?

FWIW:

The Radio Shack detector that I had sold this morning. The cashiers said that the guy was waiting outside for the doors to open this morning, and it was the first transaction of the day.

This is going to make buying another MD much more appealing, now that I am $40 ahead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread