Opinions On The Best Diggers and Beach Scoops

Bugsterx2

Jan 29, 2011
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Just getting back into MDing and want to be responsible whether on public or private land by leaving things as close to how they were before I dug anything. Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I would like some opinions on the brands that people on TNET are using that make the neatest plugs and that are easy to use as well as what works the best on the beach in terms of a good sand scoop. Also, are pinpointers a good addition and what brands are the best? Any other suggestions of helpful items/tools to use in the field are appreciated!! Thanks.

Jim

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

As far as diggers are concerned, the Lesche is by far the most popular when you need to cut a serious plug. But for day-today shallow coin/ring popping, a simple screwdriver should be all you need. Yes, it might be a little messy at first until you get the hang of it, but once you do, its the most effective retrieval tool you'll use in most cases.

As to sand scoops, if you're working in the water, the Sun Spot is probably the best and holds up to constant use. For dry sand, or even wet, Kellyco makes serveral worth looking at. Just make sure you get one that was meant to be kicked into the sand by your foot. That's important.

As to pinpointers, I looked at a bunch and the Garrett Pro Pointer wins hands down. I never home without mine and I've never heard anyone complain at theirs, ever. Yes, it $127 but well worth the investment if you asked me.

Hope it helps.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
B

Bugsterx2

Jan 29, 2011
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Thanks Smudge!

I was on Kellyco last night looking at all the different types and became confused very quickly. Your info points me in the right direction. I'll definitely try the screwdriver ASAP.Thanks again!

Jim

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea....what smudge said, PLUS......I like to have a thin trowel like 1 1/2 inch width for locations where coins are deeper than I can get without scratching them (as I might with merely a screwdriver), and a larger trowel in a 7-8 inch blade (2 1/2 width) for other places where I need to rid the hole of dirt when soil is dry (it falls back into the hole too much), as well as the LESCHE cerrated blade "knife type" for root laden woods settings. I also have a "T" handle 12" long "ground Shark" that has a 36" overall length, that I use for deep targets in wooded areas where there are alot of roots and no one will see me digging. (people are funny sometimes, even if you fill the hole)
I ALWAYS....and I mean ALWAYS fill in my holes, and also the holes of others I see left open, as it looks bad for our sport if left open. Heck, I have been around areas where some squirrels have dug small holes in parks, and I fill them in too, if it sorta looks like a mess around the area.
(maybe a little overboard, but better safe than sorry)
Anyway, good luck with your detecting this season, and hope this helps!
Paul

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II
I personally would buy Predator Tools diggers. They are made by the original Lesche maker. I believe that the ex wife took over Lesche and their quality has been spotty lately. Just an FYI.

Pinpointers are great. My first choice would be the Sunray inline probe if they make one for your detector. Works off the detector batteries and works in discriminate. Garrett would be my next choice. Both a really good and have some depth to them.

Hope that helps.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On lawns I use a screw driver to pop the coin out. If it is deep where I can't touch it with the probe I usually leave it if the grass is very nice. If it isn't I will use a small plastic sheet to place the plug so all the dirt can go back in the hole. But I mainly only cut a three sided plug an tilt it up. An electronic probe greatly helps find the coin or pull tab. Take all trash with you as you don't want to find it again. :thumbsup:

For scoops at most locations I like the Sunspot Stealth for strength and the many holes for quick draining. For dry sand I use the RTG Beachmaster for easy sifting and the long handle.

If we catch a person using a shovel or Lesche digger in the our parks they are going to be given a ticket for destroying park property, fined and have to pay to have the damage fixed. We didn't open the parks for metal detecting just to have some lazy people destroy it for everyone else. Course most people don't cuss us out when they are instructed on the proper way to retrieve a coin.

Attachments

• Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 353

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
You can also use a nice small lock blade knife for those easy shallow targets down to 4-5" or so. Just cut a small slit and reach in and feel the coin out.

Beyond that and you will want to cut a plug. Just not in dry park ground.

Of course, while not a common problem so much these days, not so long ago you could find very nice old coins down to 2-3" deep and using a screwdriver or awl was okay as long as you rounded all the edges on it and didn't end up hitting the coin and gouging it.

If you saw the video Sandman supplied, then it was a subtle hint at one of the most important things you can learn about your detector. Pinpointing!

Pinpointing pinpointing pinpointing. Learn it, love it, live it!

OP
OP
B

Bugsterx2

Jan 29, 2011
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Thanks guys for the additional information. Looks like a screwdriver and lock blade will now be part of my retrieval process. That video showing the use of the screwdriver will be a good reference also." Accurate" pinpointing is quite a bit more important than I originally thought,but that will change too. Thanks again!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a fan of the sunspot scoops. I really like the Reilly's (RTG) monster scoop. I have been using the same one for years. Digging through sand, coral, shells, and rocks. Nothing hurts it. Never bent, never broke. Wood handles break. Ok, they can be replaced but I don't want to stop a hunt because my digger broke and I have to go the lumber yard to fix it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
SAND SCOOP: I bought a long handled sand scoop from Kellyco when I was down in Fl. The scoop basket is Stainless steel and the handle appears to be a piece of conduit with an orange plastic handlebar style grip on the end. I kind of customized it. I drilled out the iron pop rivets and installed aluminum pop rivets plus I added a few extra. I removed the steel nuts and bolts and replaced them with stainless steel nuts and bolts. I coated the conduit handle with that plastic dip they use for tools. It's nine years old and counting!
EARTH TOOL: Where I live in MD. the digging is easy so I use one of those black plastic garden tools. I can dig out some earth and check it in the tool.
: In hard digging areas I use digging knife which is slightly curved and has teeth on one side.
: In cache hunting I use a narrow all steel shovel with a foot long blade and "T" handle. the handle has been coated with that tool coating plastic "dip" of course I used a paintbrush and thinner.
: In the desert SW you can't dig, it's small rocks and desert dust so I use an expandable 3 Tine rake to get down to the target. It works great.
: In the parks,I use a mechanics tool. It is a tapered shaft alignment tool like a tapered scribe or awl. It goes from point to app. 1/4 " in thickness. It is great for popping out coins & rings. The tip is blunted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread