Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Order the parts for China's best quality adjustable ground balance machine (cost per M maybe $60-$80 ea. US). Assemble it here in the U.S. (or some other non-Asian country) and market it with a lifetime warrentee at a retail of $1,000-$1,500 (never lower price). Also, make sure you throw away those cheap Chinese knobs and use expensive looking quality knobs and graphics (this is very important on the U.S. market).

Because it's expensive people will believe it's extra special and therefore some will imagine things about it. Because of the investment they will do research on hunting spots and they will dig almost every solid tight (small) target. They will post finds on the treasure forums of seated coins, bust types, etc., at 7 to 14 inches and your business will slowly but surely grow.

To pull it off you will need certain "personalities" to back you up. You must create an atmosphere of "A NEW MACHINE THAT BLOWS AWAY ALL COMPETITION." You must make it look like certain genuine genius dreamed up this new wizard machine and it's the only way to go for the really deep stuff.

In time people will have tears in their eyes as they sing your praises! And too, they'll have boxes of old coins and jewelry to brag about.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I detect a Bit of Sarcasim Badger ?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mighty AP said:
Lets do it MB! Maybe we can get Lee Iacoca or William Shatner to do a few comercials for us................ :D

The trouble with U Mighty is you believe everything you read ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually this has been done before. You don't need expensive electronics either. Just put some cheap worthless wires and crap inside a pretty control box. Make sure the unit is well glued together(hard for people to see what's inside). Perhaps glue a cheap calculator on top for looks. Say that this wonder detector can detect gold 1/2 mile away and charge $3500 for it. Advertise in most treasure mags and call it Wonderdetector by Badger(Customers don't really need to know your real name). Yep a lot of folks will then swear that this detectors works(a lot more will swear at you). Just set back and wait for the cash to flow in.

The only downside of this is that Carl over on his LRL site will be forever embarrassing you and your detector. However no sweat as a lot of people believe your ads in the treasure magazines and at $3500 a unit you only need to convince a few people.

George

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Dont forget the cool comercials featuring William Shatner finding long lost wedding rings for little old widdows! How bout Lee Iacoca out finding valuable gold chains with boy scouts in wheel chairs? Im already in contact with their agents.............hee hee! Were gonna make millions MB! ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bakergeol said:
The only downside of this is that Carl over on his LRL site will be forever embarrassing you and your detector.

George

I don't know who this Carl person is but from the context I'd assume he's some authority on metal detectors.

All kidding aside, it would be interesting to read the reviews of the true experts if this were done. That is, one were to take China's very best attempt at a hobby metal detector and disguise it in a high quality case marked "Made in the U.S.A."

Yes, that would be interesting indeed!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some would be Fooled, by it.
Particularly Newbies, & those who insist if it's made in America
it must be good.
But I don't think it would fool the Long time Detectorists.
a Lemon is still a Lemon, no matter what the Package looks like.
or the name on it.

For the Record, "MADE IN CHINA" or Price Dosn't turn me off.

the Unknown Does.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
it must be good.
But I don't think it would fool the Long tome Detectorists.
or the name on it.

Do I detect a hint of dislike for Chinese detectors?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
jeff of pa said:
it must be good.
or the name on it.

Did you Quote the Wrong part Or Quote Before my addition ?

jeff of pa said:

the Unknown Does.

when I went from Whites to Minelab (U.S. made, to Australia Made)
I did 6 Months of research, On line & Visiting Organized Hunts. Questioning Minelab users & Asking what they owned before & IF they Regretted it & If they would go Back, Etc.

Everything pointed to Minelab From Everyone BUT Whites Dealers.
75% of Whites Dealers Ran down Minelab & 25% said they were hearing good things about them.

IF these China Detectors got the Same Responses I would have Gone CHINEESE. after all, their alot cheaper.

However, I'm not the type to Listen to advertising Hype Or go by Looks.

What we Rely need is Honest unbiased Field Testers who
Arn't Country Sensitive or in fear of loosing their Field Testing rights when they are Honest.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH, & I could name a few U.S. brands I "think" are Lemmons.
(WHITES ISN'T ONE OF THEM) I still Like Whites.

But that's not me.

IN Person Man to Man Yes, I'll say what Brands I "Think" are junk.

On Line, They all have Potential, till someone Lets me
Prove Different.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
Michigan Badger said:
jeff of pa said:
it must be good.
or the name on it.

Did you Quote the Wrong part Or Quote Before my addition ?

jeff of pa said:

the Unknown Does.

when I went from Whites to Minelab (U.S. made, to Australia Made)
I did 6 Months of research, On line & Visiting Organized Hunts. Questioning Minelab users & Asking what they owned before & IF they Regretted it & If they would go Back, Etc.

Everything pointed to Minelab From Everyone BUT Whites Dealers.
75% of Whites Dealers Ran down Minelab & 25% said they were hearing good things about them.

IF these China Detectors got the Same Responses I would have Gone CHINEESE. after all, their alot cheaper.

However, I'm not the type to Listen to advertising Hype Or go by Looks.

Arn't Country Sensitive or in fear of loosing their Field Testing rights when they are Honest.

No, I didn't misquote you, Jeff. I just quoted you before you returned to update your post.

You wrote:

"However, I'm not the type to Listen to advertising Hype Or go by Looks.

Arn't Country Sensitive or in fear of loosing their Field Testing rights when they are Honest."

I agree totally.

I've used a couple Chinese machines and I was very impressed by their performance. But, like I wrote at the beginning of this thread, because they're so low cost I find that I just can't take them very seriously. Concentration is a very big part of success in this hobby and I find it difficult to concentrate if I start out with the idea in my head that the machine is cheap. This bias, I've found, blocks my concentration.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOW I'm starting to Understand Where you are Coming from
in your first post.

Not Sarcasim, as much as our "Conditioning"

Yes it is hard to believe Inexpensive can be good.

Cheap & Inexpensive are two totally Different Animals.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
Advertise in most treasure mags and call it Wonderdetector by Badger(Customers don't really need to know your real name).

No way! We call it the Badge-O-Matic, and have the slipcase for the calculator, but it also fits a potato peeler, salad shooter, egg timer, car timing light, Flash Gordon Decoder Box, and casting reel with integral acorn squirrel lure! It would look something like the Popeil Pocket Fisherman!

P.S.

You could also use the line and sinker for a map dowser!

The only downside of this is that Carl over on his LRL site will be forever embarrassing you and your detector. However no sweat as a lot of people believe your ads in the treasure magazines and at $3500 a unit you only need to convince a few people.

Carl's website is www.thunting.com follow the links to the LRL Reports Page. You will love it!

Mike

Attachments

• 89_1_b.JPG
    89_1_b.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 302

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Interesting thoughts, how many parts actually do come from 'overseas', I would imagine at least 35% of every machine comes with parts from outside of the "territory" in which they are produced. I would find it hard to believe that every chip of a White's (for example) is made in the USA. I would guess a few chips are produced outside the US, look inside any 'american' computer or electronic equipment and the parts come from everywhere. Almost 1/4 of the vehicles manufactured by US companies are built outside of the US, that Ford/Chevy/Dodge you just sat in could have been built in Mexico or Canada... Toyota even has engine assembly plants in the US... I had a mid 80's Chevy truck and half the nuts and bolts were metric, the other half standard and in my opinion that had to be the worst vehicle in the world to repair, I had both sets of tools out and remembering what wrench did which nut was impossible. Mad my 240z look like it was designed by a truly gifted race yet it was just because it was all metric... Made in the USA has become a marketing ploy and a misnomer. Look for quality first then consider the implications of where it was made. There is nothing worse than buying crappy equipment at top dollar, it just sucks!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul is Dead said:
Gad Zoooks!!! You leave for a few hours, Mich.Gabdger has caused mayhem.

LOL! ;D

I have a question, Mich, have you been to China?

Nope. However, it was predicted that one day I would go to the Asian region of Russia, mainly, Siberia. See when I was in 6th grade and standing in the hall for causing a riot in the classroom the Principle told me "______, someday you'll end up in Siberia!"

And if you have, have seen the craftmanship?

The only craftmenship I've really seen up close is the 15th century blue & white porcelain. Oh too, I think just about every nick-nack my wife owns was made there. And too I think most of my auto tools were made there...hummm...I wonder where my underware was made?

Talking first hand, the craftmanship is not there. You are talking about uneducated people who live at the factories, sleep and work until Chinese New Year. Go outside, the sun must still be out.

You may be right. I was just thinking, if they can make Hydrogen bombs and missiles to carry them to the U.S., well, maybe somebody over there could make a decent metal detector.
I guess not.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul is Dead said:
First in your last statement about bombs. They think they can. And where did the super computers come from in order to get their darn rockets in the air. Who's science went to China to help with the gyro gizmos, just trying to keep it in laymen terms. All of China's power if you wish to call it that came from here. Prior to the Clinton era China was fifty years behind, at least. Now the media says they have caught up. 3rd world nations like to parade they're military might. When was the last time you saw a parade of what the USA has? I think it is time to go change that colon bag...

LOL! Now now, let us be nice. ;)

The point I think is this, learn your machine (whatever the brand, etc.) and try not to allow any preconceived biases to interfere with your detecting. Don't be soon discouraged but let the machine do what it was engineered to do. If after a truly honest useage the machine fails to deliver--then consider a change.

Remember, no matter how good the detector may be, one won't find much hunting where there is nothing to be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread