Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello buddy. :hello:

I'm sure you have heard that old saying, "you get what you pay for?" 99 percent of time it's true. And this is no exception. In my opinion, that pin pointer is overpriced. :laughing7: Do you understand what I am saying? I have used it, and it broke the first month, leaving me very, very upset at myself I didn't ask someone first, like you just did. If you are looking for a pin pointer with a budget cost, go to the local "Habour Freight" company. They make a pin pointer, that for the money, works like a charm!!!! I have a buddy who swears by them and I have seen it work. Hey, I only report the GOOD news. :wink:

I congratulate you on asking before you buy. :headbang:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Hello buddy. :hello:

I'm sure you have heard that old saying, "you get what you pay for?" 99 percent of time it's true. And this is no exception. In my opinion, that pin pointer is overpriced. :laughing7: Do you understand what I am saying? I have used it, and it broke the first month, leaving me very, very upset at myself I didn't ask someone first, like you just did. If you are looking for a pin pointer with a budget cost, go to the local "Habour Freight" company. They make a pin pointer, that for the money, works like a charm!!!! I have a buddy who swears by them and I have seen it work. Hey, I only report the GOOD news. :wink:

I congratulate you on asking before you buy. :headbang:
4-H .. Is telling you the truth they are not that great............. I would look at another brand if i was you. I use the Garrett Pro Pointer myself.... If Minelab ever put one out i would try it.... But they don't make one....

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
besides being over priced they are also big and bulky and just a pain to carry, the clip on the side of it bends and isn't worth 2 cents. the cen tec from harbor freight is a much better deal for 16 bucks and comes with a carry case and battery.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
dogpound said:
besides being over priced they are also big and bulky and just a pain to carry, the clip on the side of it bends and isn't worth 2 cents. the cen tec from harbor freight is a much better deal for 16 bucks and comes with a carry case and battery.
yep Dog is right about the ......cen tec from Harbor Freight.... only $16.00 and works great i have one that i keep as a backup to my Garrett.............And it is a lot better than that thing that Kellyco sells....I know i had one of of the automax's from Kellyco but i did not keep it long........

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DON'T waste your money on it, Scrimp, save, and get a garrets propointer. while you are saving i f you need to, The harbor freight one will work for you!!! Helpful advise put a ziplock bag over it when you are using it to keep out the dirt away from the button

here is mine after 1 week use!! see link

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,302417.0.html

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
I have one I got free with my AT Pro. It's so cheaply made and lacking in performance I'd hesitate to even give it away.

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
Yep! I gave mine to the kids to play with. Really wasn't good for anything else. The Garrets Propointer is a good pinpointer. I have never used the Harbor Freight one (some of the guys here swear by them). I use both the Propointer and a Sunray DX-1. I would stay away from the V4....it is just not a good piece of equipment. HH...KYBuzzBox

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
I think he is on a budget fellas, that why I suggested the cen-tec. But yes, if you can afford it, the detector pro pistol probe or the Garrett are top notch.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: I agree just cut a small hole in the bottom of a ziplock and Save all of the money found for something Better!!!

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
From what I see he has a Bullseye II now. A much better pinpointer. However, if he really needs one I'd give him my V4 because I'm never going to use it.

OP
OP
rwb83

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!
Bubba707 said:
From what I see he has a Bullseye II now. A much better pinpointer. However, if he really needs one I'd give him my V4 because I'm never going to use it.

Thats an old Sig. when i had an ace 250 and a bullseye im just getting back into MD'ing now and have nothing...but from what i can see from the posts...the V4 probably isn't even worth the time and money to ship it. But i am looking to buy 2 Pinpointers that are in good working condition if anyone has them at a reasonable price.

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
Buddy of mine got one of those...it quit working. I opened it up and the wires that come off the "coil" part are not secured well. I resoldered them and secured them better and then reinforced the base of the coil shaft area on the outside with a pvc pipe flange as the construction is also very weak there.

The construction is very cheap...but it works ok and that thing is HUGE and a bit hard to use although its hard to pass up for an extra 25$$ for a pinpointer.

Would I buy one retail? NO...but as a backup or first pinpointer if you use it with care and not pry with it you will get good results for the price.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had two. Worthless. The first one didn't work all. They gave me a replacement that one only worked some of the time when the on/off switch would actually function.

Bought a Garrett Pro Pointer. Seemed crazy to spend $130 for a pinpointer. So glad I did. Never go without it on my land hunts now.

Save yourself the grief. Get a Pro Pointer or similar model. :icon_thumleft:

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi My Fellow TH'ers
Well having bought two detectors from Kellyco and receiving a 'Free Automax' with each I can tell you they should have given me a discount for taking them off their hands. I have had four of the V2 and two of the V4 units and all the Chinese junk should be returned to China a toxic waste. First if you can get them to turn on, you need to be within a quarter inch of the target before it will beep or buzz. If you probe too hard with the wand it will break and the plastic they use can't be glued. The wire that is used in the battery connection tears and the solder connections come apart. I have repaired three of the units that I have and plan to put them up on E-BAAAE as repaired units. As stated in earlier replies go with the Garrett Pro-Pointer as it is the best hand held unit I have ever used. I have two units and rely on them every time I am out digging. You can be 5 inches away from your target and it will beep and the beep gets louder as you get closer. Even the Whites Bullseye and Bullseye II are not that great and the price is about the same as the Garrett Pro-Pointer. The Whites units do not get the depth nor are they anywhere as accurate as the Garrett, and that says a lot as I only use Whites detectors and have since 1984. Whites is second to none with the best detectors but they sure missed the mark with the pin pointers. But the Whites are much better than the Automax if you are on a tight budget.
You asked and I tell it as I see it. If anyone does not agree well you do have the Freedom of Speech.
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll chime in too mine doesn't detect anything at the tip but an inch up the shaft it will but only if you touch the metal to it. dont waste your money inless its free then give it a try. kellyco gives them away with some of thier detectors.

nick.foltz

Dec 24, 2009
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Tesoro Cibola
I just ordered mine from Harbor Freight yesterday. If anyone plans on buying one use promotion code upromise10 to save 10% on your order. The only thing that sucked was 8.99 to ship :o. Hopefully it works okay the reviews gave it good marks. I have even heard of people gluing pvc pipe with an end cap to the ends of them to keep them from breaking.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i really feel bad for whoever paid the 140 bucks MSRP on the V4, even at 25 bucks its still 24.50 over priced

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread