Best Detector for House Walls

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I've been looking at the Garrett Wall Scanner "Designed to search for gold, silver, and jewelry in old houses, barns, walls, book safes, etc." http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-handhelds.htm.

I'm wondering what is the best hand held detector to find a hidden cache in walls, but I dont want to find nail heads, I wanna look for gold or silver. I was wondering what you guys might think or recommend in the way of a detector, or do I just take my full size detector and learn to use it inside old houses?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is no detector that will *only* find gold and silver in walls (or the ground, or anywhere else for that matter). All they can do is tell you conductivity. And various metals share conductivity. Size also plays into the final scale, and then add masking (ie.: silver inside a rusting tobacco tin will have the iron trying to mask the silver inside).

You can however, do a pretty good job as discriminating out, and even seeing through, individual nails, nail heads, etc.... Iron is pretty tell-tale, verses conductive metals. A standard coin machine might be too squirelly sensitive for the task of scanning walls (since presumably, you are looking for larger items, not individual coins, right?). An old 77b automatic will effortlessly pass up individual nails, and even see through them. Yet has the sensitivity to see individual coin sized items, follow conductive wiring, etc.... And it also allows larger iron items to "bleed through", so if, for example, there WERE an iron tobacco tin full of coins inside the wall, that's a large enough item get a signal on (verses individual iron nails).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Tom said..............Also you could use a small sniper coil on your regular detector but hold the coil in your ringless hand instead of on the shaft for easy of use. Since you will be looking for any metals you need to use all metal and check out the sizes of the targets. I have a inline probe on my Sov GT which has a depth of 4 inches that I can find the studs in my home and trace the wiring.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunray Probe Plugged directly into a detector control Box

& Minimum Disc. to knock out most nails.

OP
OP
photo-master

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Thanks for the great ideas guys. :thumbsup: Today I bought a pistol probe to speed up my dig time, I wonder how good it would be at this task. I think it can detect up to 6''.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-master said:
Thanks for the great ideas guys. :thumbsup: Today I bought a pistol probe to speed up my dig time, I wonder how good it would be at this task. I think it can detect up to 6''.

may work.

at least
if it gives a wide signal both ways it's not a nail or wire

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
photo-master said:
Excellent choice! I have pinpointed objects up to 6 inches. You wont be sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions