New Guy Dilema Part ll

Skybox7

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2003
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok, I have my permit to detect in city parks, it's taped to the detector as
required, I'm using a probe, "shall not be wider than 3/8ths inch", and not "lifting the sod in any way". I'm all set, or so I think.
Along comes a county employee, tells me this is actually county property,
and there is "absolutely NO metal detecting allowed on county property!"
Seems Green Bay feels it has significant historical and archaeological sites that must not be disturbed.
B.S. !!!!!!!!
The only thing this city has is an over-rated football team and some of the highest property taxes in the nation!
Is this standard practice throughout the country?
It really is a downer when a person is just getting fired up about this hobby.

Green Bay....it ain't the end of the world, but you can see it from here!

Upvote 0

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Skybox; Your dilema doesn't surprise me one bit. Even though we are from different countries,the BS remains the same. These butthead petty dictators(any govt)forget that they are supposed to be the custodians for the people,who actually own all public lands,not the rulers of the world. If you can afford the time,raise a little hell and demand an accounting. Fred

bulltab

Jun 30, 2003
DUDE!!!! you need to find private property so ya dont have to deal with knotheads!! MARK

dodgers11

Jun 4, 2003
Tennessee
I think I would have politely showed the county employee your permit and informed them that they actually work for YOU! You pay the taxes that keep them employed and if your permit was supposed to allow you to hunt on that particular piece of property, then hunt it. If they bother you again, there is an article that was written by a lawyer in Lost Treasure magazine (April) issue I think but not sure, I would have to dig it out. But anyway the lawyer stated that they would represent anyone with such a case for FREE in order to represent the MD'ers rights. If you don't want to go that route, then tell them to "kiss your posterior-*" Or "kiss-* off" or "go to hades-*"

note: all items marked with a * can be substituted with as much or as little foul language as you like. LOL

A

ArtWI

Hunt the city parks then...

You have a permit for them. I would suggest you head out to some of the surrounding small towns etc. I sure you know this but city parks and county parks come under different governing bodies. You should get to the Green Bay Metal Detecting club. They will be a good resource for you and you should probably join up with them.
Good Hunting, ArtWI in Central WI

H

Holyfield

It seems to me that the county and city employees may be doing a little THing of their own and they don't want anyone cutting into their stash. Tell them all you are Brett Favre's cousin and they'll leave you alone.

D

dalef

Well, you saved me a long trip to Green Bay. What about some of the parks I mentioned to you? How about some of the surrounding towns like DePere or Howard? Are they all so ridiculous about using detectors?

It's frustrating but keep at it. There are still places that don't require permits yet in this state. (WI)

OP
OP
Skybox7

Skybox7

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2003
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dale, the city parks, Johannes, Fisk, Bay Beach etc are supposedly ok as long as you have the "City Parks" permit.
But that permit does not cover any county parks.
I was at an obscure little park in Ashwaubenon, at least I thought it was still Ashwaubenon, turns out it was in the county system.
I would really like to find someone in Green Bay that knows the ropes, see if these laws are really enforced.
I emailed the local club leader but got no reply, and the club site is evidently no longer in existence.
Dunno about DePere or other surrounding towns.
So, for now, I will tear up the neighbors yards :D
Thanks for all the opinions everyone.

H

Holyfield

Skybox-There's nothing in those parks anyways, I've looked at the maps. I'm the Newest Knighted MapDowsing Prodigy..And I work for FREE. p.s. There's a 1914 dime underneath that rock next to the oak tree. Happy Hunt'in-Holyfield

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have felt your pain. I also live in Northern Virginia and like joewolfe said these historical preservation idiots are out of control. For about 3 years in the late 80s we had free reign of detecting at Ft. Belvoir. The coins that came out of that place was just incredeble. I would come home with over 100 coins, many silver each time. This was all fine and dandy until one day another detectorist dug up a civil war cannonball and somehow the word got out. The officials quickly put a stop to all detecting. The reason they gave was historical preservation. Let me get this straight. These morons would rather this stuff stay in the ground and rot so no one can ever see it, display it or donate it to a museum. I have since moved on to better success in other states like PA and OH. where the silly laws are few and far between.
Marc

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
No offense to dodgers11, but I would NOT recommend his route. As a government employee (not in your area), I can tell you that this response will gain you only the treasure of spending quality hunting time behind bars... and those are usually made of iron.
However, if you hadle this in a civil manner, you might have better luck. Explain (nicely) to the county employee that you indeed have a permit, and perhaps he should clarify this with you. Explain your understanding of the permit to him and let him clarify ir for you. Then, take this information with you to your local government agency and see who is right. If you are right, then let them know they need to clarify the process with their employees and you have been subjected unfair treatment that you do not appreciate. If you are wrong, then move on and work on private property. Sounds to me like no one (government-wise) really knows wht's going on. Ask for a copy of the ordinance as well that pertains to this.

Good Luck!

Bill

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say rip and tear! Not really, but I do believe that our elected government bureuacrats (sp?) have gotten out of control. Much more than we have as th'ers. I agree with others above, it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. At least when it comes to parks that are supposed to be for "the people". Private land is a different story. We ALL pay taxes for parks and all a permit is for is so that the local gov't can make more $ off of YOU! In CA we have the CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE PASS. If you don't get one of these pseudo passes that are actually taxes disguised as a fee, they will ticket your car $100 for parking in any California National Park. Stealing $ right out of your pocket!
Along with the antiquities act these folks have gotten out of control!
The cops, rangers, archiologists, and other environmentalists just can't see that these pieces of metal will rot or erode away eventually if they are not dug up and collected for future study. People don't dig things of old age to throw them away. The archiologists just don't want to have to COMPETE. The cops and the rangers are just monkeys that believe that the system is always right and not to question authority (of which they became so that they could play the same power trip on others). No, I'm not bitter, just disgusted at the way our gov't bends to anyone with a special interest in preservation. How can you preserve it if you can't even find it or don't even know it's there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread