Ok, i need som help/tip!!

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Hi all,
I have been wondering to get an extra detector tho mine Xp gmp does not work in sand...
I have found a White's Coinmaster 2/D TR-Discriminator for sale, but i don't know if this is an good one, i have read that older machines are great and some are worthless. I can tell that the shape is soooo good, looks brand new.
Any tips or opinions are wonderful! :read2:

Thx for looking and Happy Hunting or as we Swedes say: God jakt lycka! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Man, that's quite an antique. That's circa mid 1970s. It won't work on mineralized wet salt beaches (even if only slightly mineralized), that's for sure. As for dry sand, or fresh water beaches, sure, it'll work. But you will be left woe-fully behind, in the depth department, when compared to even cheapo machines of today. Also, TR discriminators were a hassle to keep balanced.

They were great for their time, because, despite all the hassles, it was the first time we could pass foil (woohoo!!), but today, I think you can do better.

OP
OP
The Swed Hunther

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Tom_in_CA said:
Man, that's quite an antique. That's circa mid 1970s. It won't work on mineralized wet salt beaches (even if only slightly mineralized), that's for sure. As for dry sand, or fresh water beaches, sure, it'll work. But you will be left woe-fully behind, in the depth department, when compared to even cheapo machines of today. Also, TR discriminators were a hassle to keep balanced.

They were great for their time, because, despite all the hassles, it was the first time we could pass foil (woohoo!!), but today, I think you can do better.

Thx Tom for the info, i had no idea that it was an antique ;D
When i did see it, and the price was so little i thought that it might work with my plans, but i do want to search on mineralized beaches do you have any tip of a cheap but still good operating MD? :read2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Swed Hunther said:
Tom_in_CA said:

Thx Tom for the info, i had no idea that it was an antique ;D
When i did see it, and the price was so little i thought that it might work with my plans, but i do want to search on mineralized beaches do you have any tip of a cheap but still good operating MD? :read2:

Check the for sale board here... :icon_thumright:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you hunting fresh or salt water beaches...Matt

OP
OP
The Swed Hunther

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
mlayers said:
Are you hunting fresh or salt water beaches...Matt

Hi matt and sorry for my late answer, saltwater but i might skip it for know. But i will have an eye open :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
swed hunter, sorry for the late answer, but to answer your question: If you plan to hunt the wet salt beaches, which usually contain some minerals (the cinnamon colored sand, as opposed to if it were white sand), here's the machines that handle that better than your old TR machine:

Any "motion discriminator". Those would be your machines which require some motion. They started production in the very late 1970s, and continue till today. Some are more suited for wet/minerals/salts than others though, d/t their idiosyncracies (tracking speed, etc...).

A general all around beach machines for most conditions (barring gun-powder black minerals) is the Excaliber. However, it takes some getting used to and "hands on" training. There is some things that printed instructions can just never convey, d/t they involve sounds, which .... printed instructions can never convey. So your best bet is to hook up with a seasoned wet beach hunter in your area, who routinely comes in with the goodies (ie.: not just some who occasionally plies the dry sand and gets lucky now and then).

Phat

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21/ Cobra
I purchase my 4th detector, Fisher cz21, the good thing about this is that Kellyco, has this deal buy 1 get a Cobra underwater metal detector 4 75% off. I could not pass it up!! I am not sure if this is still going on!! :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread