dfx owners

stud564

Jun 7, 2006
algona, iowa
i have had my Dfx since march 8 and i am always out and finds lots of change, however, i can never seem to find a nickel. I don't dig every signal and mostly only dig very strong signals where the detector is almost always giving me the same signal and i was wandering if nickels have came up under foil or some other vdi thing because i placed one on the ground and it showed me foil or ring
thanks

Upvote 0

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I have only had my DFX for one year...The icons annoy me, so I turn them off...Usually a shallow nickel will come in around 19 or 20 in the soil around here...pulltabs,foil,scrap aluminum, small rings all have the potential of falling in under the 19 or 20 also...Deeper nickels are going to jump around all over the place...pinpoint and dig these signals if you want the older coins...same goes with old silver and copper that is deep..they will jump around from near zero to high 80's and low 90's...I pinpoint and if its 6+ inches, I dig

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
My DFX is awesome at finding nickels. I think a lot of people pass them up because of the low VDI reading. Sometimes I'll run in the 15 khz mode only, and hunt them out exclusively. I find that they ring up around 15 vdi most of the time. I look for the nickels hoping they will be a gold ring instead of a nickel, but alas, I'm finding just the nickels lately.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the DFX, it's best to not rely on the icon and just the VDI numbers. Check out the VDI on some pull tabs and start digging those too for the wedding bands.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, stud. I've had my DFX for over a year now. I dig everything that's a positive VDI and I don't find very many nickles either.

I just don't think there's as many nickles out there to be found. :-\

But I just hunt cellarholes. I find mostly pennies.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
The DFX is a nickle killer! Most VDI right around 20 in best data. Turn on your DC Phase and nickles usually hit around 43 with the trigger pulled. This helps weed out pull tabs.

Rich

OP
OP
S

stud564

Jun 7, 2006
algona, iowa
hey thanks for the help
i have one more quick question what do indian heads and mercs show up as

thanks, im very curious about this stuff to help me be more succesful

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Mercs, I have never found, but indian heads I have a few. They are the penny/bottle top icon. Clad pennies will be in the penny dime icon. Im not sure of the VDI's. But I can tell you here in mich with my DFX nickels are solid 19/20, and I find a ton. Gold rings <although Ive only found a few> were nice solid 15-16-17. The pulltabs are kinda smattered 17-18. Hope this helps a little. dave.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my nickels show up at 24-27,with a solid tone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread