Shopping for Ebay Pinpointers

GeoScouter

Greenie
May 17, 2006
Pa
I'm new to the hobby and getting ready to get a pinpointer from since they seem very useful. Are there any sites that review and compare different pinpointers?

I'm not sure I want to spend the $100 plus for a Whites or similar unit until I get serious about the hobby. I notice there are several different cheap units on Ebay and was wondering if anyone has experience with these inexpensive units? Which Ebay pinpointers should I avoid?

Steve

Upvote 0

joe_black

Jun 12, 2006
Eastern N. Carolina
i'm fairly new to MD'ing myselft, about 3 months now. But i love it, and i cant put it down. I finally got a pointer sensor too cuz it just seemed to make sense to me. the less time it takes me to locate the target, the more targets i can find. I shopped around and ended up forking out 100 bucks for a vibra-probe, and it was well worth the money to me. We'll see how long it lasts, i've only had it 2 out of the 3 months i've been MD'ing, and i get out for atleast a couple of hours 3 or 4 times a week. But i havent been gentle with it, and it works just like it says it does. Its made out of pvc and its plenty sturdy enough to push around in loose dirt or sand. Its also waterproof which is nice. I'm not advertising i'm just trying to suggest a product that has been a good investment for me. Just google it and you'll find one at a good price. Good luck and HH!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I too have a Vibraprobe I use with my Xterra and don't how I ever found anything before. Oh, wait a minute now I remember, crater sized holes that were pretty embarrassing. Okay I am exaggerating a little but bigger holes than I wanted to make. The less digging you do the better for the hobby and our reputation. Look on the classified listings of this forum and a few of the other metal detecting forums for used probes at good prices, your might be surprised at what you can get for a good discount. HH and welcome to the hobby.

OP
OP
G

GeoScouter

Greenie
May 17, 2006
Pa
The Vibraprobe looks interesting. Still have to decide if I want to spend the $100. Is this the unit you guys are talking about?
I do like the looks better then the Whites. How does it compare to theirs? Anyone have both?

http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraprobe.cfm

Since I never used one how quick does a pinpointer response when passing over a coin? Will have I have to probe and hold, or will a simple pass over the coin set the pinpointer off?

Steve

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
GeoScouter said:
The Vibraprobe looks interesting. Still have to decide if I want to spend the $100. Is this the unit you guys are talking about?
I do like the looks better then the Whites. How does it compare to theirs? Anyone have both?

http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraprobe.cfm

Since I never used one how quick does a pinpointer response when passing over a coin? Will have I have to probe and hold, or will a simple pass over the coin set the pinpointer off?

Steve

simply pass over it. there is no delay.

joe_black

Jun 12, 2006
Eastern N. Carolina
Re: Vibraprobe

the sensor will pick up targets within an inch or so(one pulse), when closer you get 2 pulses, or 3 pulses when you are right against the target. The sensor is only in the tip so it literally points straight at it. So far i've gotten atleast 15-18 hours out of one battery, perhaps more but i wasnt really keeping track.

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought both of my White's pinpointers on eBay for $50. Both have worked like new units for the past year.

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
Has anyone had any experience with the TinyTec 6.5" Deluxe Probe? They are having a closeout on their website for $39.95. What are your opinions on this probe? Or should I save my money and get one of the Whites models?

OP
OP
G

GeoScouter

Greenie
May 17, 2006
Pa
I think you guys talked me out of the cheap Ebay pinpointers. Now looking more at the Whites and the Vibraprobe. Seems like the Whites will detect deeper. I read the Vibraprobe only detects one inch. Is that enough?

Steve

joe_black

Jun 12, 2006
Eastern N. Carolina
i like the fact that the vibraprobe is limited to one inch, makes it much easier to narrow-down the location of the object. Isnt that what you are looking for? Keep in mind, that we are talking 1 inch from the tip, not from the ground surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread