Whites IDX Pro

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one, but it has the ground balance and threshold modifications done by Bill Crabtree.

I find the unit to be a great one...especially if you are coin hunting in trashy areas with the 5.3 inch coil on it. It has great recovery speed, and it will go deeper with a moderate sweep speed.

Not sure how much additional performance the mods do, but I have heard an additional 2-3 inches in depth. This is the only IDX Pro I have owned, so I cannot compared it to a non-modified one.

Even if not modified, I have read good reports on them. I like mine a lot, but since I mostly beach hunt and have several other land units, I may be putting mine up for sale. NOT for performance reasons...for NON usage reasons !

OP
OP
swingin4clad

swingin4clad

Mar 6, 2011
Keystone Heights
Detector(s) used
White's IDX PRO
therover said:
I have one, but it has the ground balance and threshold modifications done by Bill Crabtree.

I find the unit to be a great one...especially if you are coin hunting in trashy areas with the 5.3 inch coil on it. It has great recovery speed, and it will go deeper with a moderate sweep speed.

Not sure how much additional performance the mods do, but I have heard an additional 2-3 inches in depth. This is the only IDX Pro I have owned, so I cannot compared it to a non-modified one.

Even if not modified, I have read good reports on them. I like mine a lot, but since I mostly beach hunt and have several other land units, I may be putting mine up for sale. NOT for performance reasons...for NON usage reasons !
Thanks for the feedback. So i guess you can buy different sized coils? Mine measures 9 3/4 across the top is that how its measured? How did your machine preform on the beach I'm gonna be doing so beach hunting soon do you have any tips?
Thanks for the help in advance.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should do OK in the dry sand. The IDX is a nice unit for coin shooting. It has a quick recovery speed which really helps in the trash. The mods done by Mr.Bill improve the detector. Any blue max or black max coil will work.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
My IDX Pro works well on the beach...even in the wet sand. But remember, I have the manual ground balance mod, so I can adjust mine with the external knob.

Your ground balance is fixed and I think can only be adjusted by actually opening up the box ( DON"T DO THAT !).

What you can do is lower the sensitivity a bit, as well as up the discrimination if you are having trouble in the wet sand. In the dry you should not have any problems.

Also, there is the Normal and Black Sand switch. If there is a lot of mineralization and bands of black sand on your beach, the IDX may work better with the Black Sand setting.

Use the stock coil you have for the beach, but I would suggest looking for a used 5.3 Black or Blue max coil if you start to hunt trashy parks and tot lots. Much better coil for those applications.

ust remember to look for one for the IDX as there are 5.3 coils for other Whites units that do not run at the same frequency as the IDX. You can get them new, or look on the classifieds. Just ask the person selling what unit the coil is for and if it will run on the IDX. All the hunters and dealers selling on the classifieds are great people and are knowledgable.

OP
OP
swingin4clad

swingin4clad

Mar 6, 2011
Keystone Heights
Detector(s) used
White's IDX PRO
hey thanks for the advice i will certainly take you up on it. I keep hearing alot of people talking about the ground balance modifications what exactly do these mods do and is it worth having done to my machine if so how do i go about getting it done?

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I am not sure if Bill Crabtree, from Surfscanners Metal Detectors, will still do the mods. I know he closed up business at the end of 2010, so it may be that he is not doing the mods any longer as well.

JC

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever decide to sell that IDX-PRO. Don't. I've had mine for 9 years and would never think of letting it go. It's the only detector I have that's paid for itself twice.

onbrake

Greenie
Feb 15, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ,O8,XLT,IDX PRO.
The IDX PRO was my first detector if it had a depth reading I would still be using it.In my metal detecting group it still has found the oldest coin 1867 2 cent piece.I may have to put it in the hall of fame.Depth on it is limted to about 6 inches.Put discrimination at just above zink sens all the way up.Its a coin magnet for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions