Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Buy a pinpointer.

bayou bandit

Feb 9, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointer is a must have if you want to speed things up :headbang:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some parks or even tot lots you can be arrested for damaging property by digging. It helps to have a good pinpointer to zero in on where to probe with a screw driver or knife. This leaves very little damage to the grass. Using a shovel or Lesche out in the wilderness is OK, but not in the grass at a park. The ground should look just like it was before you started recovery.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Say you have located a target, so you know within app1" where it is. Your next step is to gently probe to find the target, then probe slowly over until you find the edge. Now slide your probing tool down and under the target. Next swiftly push down on the Handel of your probe to pop the target out of the ground.
Now push your finger down on the little slot in the ground to make it look as good as new. My probe is a mechanics alignment tool that resembles an 8" tapered scribe. The point has been rounded. It taperes from app. 1/4" thick at the plastic handle to app. 1/64 at tip.
As for pin pointer, you only need one when you dig a hole and can't find the target. The best buy for the money is the Cen-tec pinpointer sold by Harbor Freight. It is Under $20 and has the same pick up power as the Garrett $160 pinpointer. Frank

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Sandman, I'll use that tip.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Using the probe method for recovering coins is a decision you must make carefully.

99.99% of the time, it's going to be clad or something without any numismatic value and will save a lot of time, but that 0.01% time, you don't want to be digging into a 1916-D Merc with a screwdriver or an icepick. Learning how to cut an unobtrusive and replaceable plug is a skill you should learn, too. Not even 3" down, you could have an 18th C coin on your hands.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never been that lucky coin popping. If the coin is relatively shallow I've been successful sometimes, otherwise no.

OP
OP
swingin4clad

swingin4clad

Mar 6, 2011
Keystone Heights
Detector(s) used
White's IDX PRO
WOW thanks for all the help you guys i will definitely try out the popping technique next time im in an area that requires a precise hole. The pug technique is one i have been using and have found it to very helpful. Thanks again for all the time and tips.

OP
OP
swingin4clad

swingin4clad

Mar 6, 2011
Keystone Heights
Detector(s) used
White's IDX PRO
LSMorgan said:
Using the probe method for recovering coins is a decision you must make carefully.

99.99% of the time, it's going to be clad or something without any numismatic value and will save a lot of time, but that 0.01% time, you don't want to be digging into a 1916-D Merc with a screwdriver or an icepick. Learning how to cut an unobtrusive and replaceable plug is a skill you should learn, too. Not even 3" down, you could have an 18th C coin on your hands.
Point taken thanks alot..

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pinpointer and buy yourself a long handled garden spade - 14 inch long handle with a 6 inch steel shovel end. About $12 through Amazon. They're light weight,but you can use your foot on them to dig down and around your target. Reduces bending and kneeling a whole lot - much better than a knife style digger.

Check out the KR Tools 93352 Pro Series Hand Trowel on Amazon.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the tecnique that I use is to cut a 5-6 inch slit with a diving knife I have had for years. Once the slit is cut, I use the blade to push the grass off to each side without cutting or tearing the roots any more than necessary. After I have retrieved the target, I place all the dirt back in the whole and push the grass back into place. By doing this method, it allows the grass to recover quickly and I don't have any dead spots showing where I dug 2 days later. Living in western Kansas with dry hot summers, I have had to find a method that works well for dry conditions. The bermuda grass and buffalo grass hold up pretty well to the heat but once a plug is cut (and the roots cut) it dies in a hurry, i won't even hunt a yrad tat has bluegrass when it's hot out. Give it a try and see how it works for ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions