First post and first detector- GT?

EagleAye

Mar 4, 2011
Hello, everyone! I've been reading this board for a while and am about to take the plunge and purchase my first detector! I'm super stoked, but also a bit nervous.

I'm ready to plunk money down for a new Sov GT, and was hoping to get a little bit of feedback before I do. One dealer I spoke with suggested that it was an unusual choice for a first detector, because of the lack of screen.

I do plan to travel with my detector, and the primary place I plan to hunt is Long Island. First love is relics, next is beach.

Was planning on buying a WOT coil to go with it, but am also considering the Intruder S 12?

Please, I truly would appreciate any feedback before I take the plunge. The wealth of information you all have provided here is amazing, and I'm so glad to have found you all. Thanks!

Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a first detector I'd suggest a screen. The depth meter is nice and so is target id.

It's nice to know if you have something 2" or 10" deep.

I went to a park today with limited time so I decided to only dig shallow targets. I would have been digging constantly if I didn't have a depth screen to pass on the deeper targets.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't think you will regret getting the GT. I agree that it is a bit expensive for your first machine, BUT, if you take the time and research, You will be way ahead of the game.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Ralph

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"One dealer I spoke with suggested that it was an unusual choice for a first detector, because of the lack of screen."

That's unusual a Dealer told you that. :icon_scratch:

A screen is not necessary.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That GT is a nice detector i have used sovereign's for years . And i never missed the screen......... If it was me i would look for another dealer....................... A dealer that would really help you out is Mike at Woodland Detectors right here on Treasurenet he would never steer you wrong.........

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Montauk3

We all take different roads when starting detecting. Some get a hand-me-down detector, some get an entry level machine and upgrade eventually, some drop big bucks right out the gate, etc.

I started out with a LCD machine and before too long, realized I was digging almost everything, so a screen wasn't really necessary.

I bought my Sov Gt about a year and a half ago used from a Tnet member and am very happy with it. I added a WOT coil not long after. I scour the beaches confident that if it is there and I put my coil over it, it's only a matter of few scoops before it's going in my pouch.

Next to the sound of my daughter's laugh, the gold tone on the Sov Gt has got to be the sweetest sound on the planet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
I agree with Montauk3

We all take different roads when starting detecting. Some get a hand-me-down detector, some get an entry level machine and upgrade eventually, some drop big bucks right out the gate, etc.

I started out with a LCD machine and before too long, realized I was digging almost everything, so a screen wasn't really necessary.

I bought my Sov Gt about a year and a half ago used from a Tnet member and am very happy with it. I added a WOT coil not long after. I scour the beaches confident that if it is there and I put my coil over it, it's only a matter of few scoops before it's going in my pouch.

Next to the sound of my daughter's laugh, the gold tone on the Sov Gt has got to be the sweetest sound on the planet.

Got to love that sweet low tone of gold........

Sov GT is a great detector, take the time to learn it and don't get discourged. I own 2 of them, if you buy one and have any questions at all feel free to IM me, I will be glad to help in any way I can....There are many members here who use the Sov and will be more then happy to help you..........

Good luck and good hunting.... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
E

EagleAye

Mar 4, 2011
Re: First post and first detector- GT? Update!

Thank you all for your kind responses!!

I am very pleased to announce that I have ordered the GT and it will arrive next week!!

Doing a happy dance here !

Woohoo!!!!

Thank you all again!!!

Happy Hunting!

ncbum

Jul 18, 2010
1st detector ! good for you ! learn the unit before you / use another unit/ hard to use at the start but the gt will deliver!!! learn the sounds and you will do well!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great choice on getting the Sov GT, you won't be sorry. The screens are for sissy's that think it is reporting what is really in the ground and its depth. They are OK if you just want to get some fresh air, but serious hunters don't need a screen to lie to them. :laughing7: As Treasure Hunter said, if you need help with the GT, PM him or I for help. That WOT coil is what you need for the beach and is a great help for relics out in the boonies. http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt :read2:

For beach hunting http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/ :read2:

Good Luck and welcome to Tnet. :hello:
Sandman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Agree the Sovereign is a Great Detector.

Once you have it,
Slow & Steady on the swings,
& Don't be afraid to Dig :thumbsup:

Also Get a Coil Cover
& Keep your
"Coil to the soil"
The sovereign Hates Air
but Loves Sliding :laughing7:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EagleAye,

For a first detector, I do not recommend a screen. Tones, with practice, will tell you more. TID screens are notoriously inaccurate in both identifying targets and depth readings. I have first hand experience with this.

The Sovereign GT is one of the best detectors ever made. It does have a learning curve, but nothing you cannot handle. You can use it anywhere, land or beach (just don't get the control box wet).

The only downside to the GT is the weight of the unit, so I would recommend getting the hip mount for it.

Everyone I know of who has used on a WOT coil on a Minelab have loved the depth it achieves, though I have never used one myself.

Happy hunting to you!

OP
OP
E

EagleAye

Mar 4, 2011
Re: First post and first detector- GT? It's Here!!!!

Thank you all again for your responses!!! My brand new Sov GT arrived last night!! Got it charged up and and played with it in the yard, checking out the different sounds!!!

SO excited!!! I can not wait to take it out for a real spin!

I really wanted the WOT coil, but decided to go with the Intruder S-12 coil for now, because I read it was lighter, and I was concerned about the weight. Got a great deal on the setup, including the Sunray Gold Headphones, hip mount bag, a Garrett Propointer, Lesche knife, and RTG travel scoop.

Wooohoooo! Thanks again, and Happy Hunting!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really understand why people complain about the weight of the WOT, I have been swinging it for at least 4 years and weight is not a problem for me at all and I am no teenager.... I have used it with and with out the harness, I prefer using the harness because I can swing it from dawn to dusk with no pain, another major advantage is I can let my detector go and it hangs right by my side, controls up, this comes in real handy in the water and on land when digging targets....

Good luck with your Sov GT and the S-12 coil... :icon_thumright:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bull shit a screen is a good thing you get more information any detector will trick you with a screen or with out a screen no detector is right all the time.you can dig junk with out a screen thinking by the way the detector sounded it was a good target but a screen can tell dept,ground condition,pinpointing capability on some.it's the manufacture who didn't set the detector up rite not the screens falt take the ace 2fiddy that mys as well been a screen less detector because it is never rite on iding and dept or pinpointing. the thing is a joke.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
Bull --deleted-- a screen is a good thing you get more information any detector will trick you with a screen or with out a screen no detector is right all the time.you can dig junk with out a screen thinking by the way the detector sounded it was a good target but a screen can tell dept,ground condition,pinpointing capability on some.it's the manufacture who didn't set the detector up rite not the screens falt take the ace 2fiddy that mys as well been a screen less detector because it is never rite on iding and dept or pinpointing. the thing is a joke.

Problem is many new hunters and some experienced hunters rely on the screen, seen some pass up targets because the screen told them it was trash when it wasn't...... I don't descriminate and I dig all solid signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread