greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we had a Tsunami alert here on Oregon Beaches from the earthquake in Japan.
Not sure what happened here as all TV newscasts show Japan and California stuff.
Son and I are going to be on the coast a bit before and during low tide to see what may have come up.
Mayby some Spanish Treasures? Ha Ha. Try out the MXTs. We will see.
Grey

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Grey,

I don't think this has the same impact as swell and wind drive waves do, for beach erosion. Yes it did property damage inside harbors (which are usually inside old river inlets), because the water has "no where else to go", in the "surge", exept in and out the narrow inlet openings.

Sort of like ....... you know how there are some parts of the world, which get the greatest tidal highs vs lows, because they are sort of like at the end of inlet bays, at the end of the oceans or whatever. The greatest "tidal swings". So too would these tidal waves be, affecting these harbors, worse than than the regular open-facing oceans.

I looked at a couple of Monterey bay (central CA) beaches, today just before noon (both south and northwest facing beaches) and could see no appreciable erosion, for detecting purposes. Another factor that didn't help our purposes, was that this occured during low tide. So the "highs reached" were really no higher than any regular 6 foot-ish high tide, which happens several times per month, year round, all the time.

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My Brother in S. California was out on his surfboard waiting for some action. No Joy.
Like you said - the tide was out so really nothing happened here except they got to test the tsunami warning system which mostly worked.
Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread