Looks like fun, but I need advice.

T

Texan

Hello all
I've been thinking about getting into this hobby since I was 10 years old (now 40)and I am considering on asking for a metal detector for Christmas.
What should I ask for?
I'm looking for something I'm NOT going to want to upgrade after a years time. Keep in mind I know NOTHING about metal detectors, so when your listing features please explain them in newbie terms.
Cost should be kept under $300.00 U.S.
Whitch model would give the most bang for the buck?
I have a tendency to throw myself into a hobby 100%, without checking out ALL my options first. Once in a hobby, I then begin to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade and...........(ask me about Home Audio sometime)
Just trying to avoid some of the cost.
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
You have to be aware that the main issue is will you survive this hobby?. A lot of people enter this hobby with great expectations? profit? and quickly leave as they are not finding all those beautiful old coins or relics. It requires patience,perseverance and research. It is a hobby-if you find something of value-consider it a bonus.
So it is wise to start at the low end of the market as you may not survive this hobby(Just being honest).

Also people usually respond with the name of their own detector when a newbie asks "what is the best detector?" You have to understand that ground conditions vary across this country and one detector may excel in one area and do poorly in another. Coin or relic hunting? You need to have local knowledge from any local clubs or dealers in your area.

I always advise newbies to buy their first detector from a local dealer and not from a discounter. Yes you will spend more money but you will receive excellent advise and help. Do some research on what dealers in your area are discounting their models for. Commonly these dealers have test gardens in which you can try out various models.? There are also a lot of bargains in used machines on the market and you can obtain used mid-range detectors close to your upper price range.The major manufacturers are now producing models for the low end of the market . If I was looking a low end machine I would look at the following machines. Garrett- ace250? Whites prizm. If you do not want to upgrade look at Fisher 1236x2(used) or Fisher ID excel(used) which you can obtain in the upper end of your price range. Also already upgraded would be the new Tesoros Cibola and Vaquero($40 to $140 over your price range),however, there is just too much "Hype" right now for honest judgements of these new Tesoros but I would test them. Remember pick a detector you like-not someone else's favorite. You may prefer a less complex machine and not all the bells and whistles. Try before you buy. Stay with the major manufacturers Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, Troy Shadow,Fisher. Ignore the endless parade of cheap "no name" detectors on the internet.

Take your time. You are in no hurry.
George

OP
OP
T

Texan

George
Thankyou for your honest reply.
I would be happy to find the pocket knife I lost in the backyard last year.
I'll start by trying to find a dealer here in the Dallas area.
Thanks again
Brady

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
You have to be aware that the main issue is will you survive this hobby?. A lot of people enter this hobby with great expectations? profit? and quickly leave as they are not finding all those beautiful old coins or relics. It requires patience,perseverance and research. It is a hobby-if you find something of value-consider it a bonus.
So it is wise to start at the low end of the market as you may not survive this hobby(Just being honest).

Also people usually respond with the name of their own detector when a newbie asks "what is the best detector?" You have to understand that ground conditions vary across this country and one detector may excel in one area and do poorly in another. Coin or relic hunting? You need to have local knowledge from any local clubs or dealers in your area.

I always advise newbies to buy their first detector from a local dealer and not from a discounter. Yes you will spend more money but you will receive excellent advise and help. Do some research on what dealers in your area are discounting their models for. Commonly these dealers have test gardens in which you can try out various models.? There are also a lot of bargains in used machines on the market and you can obtain used mid-range detectors close to your upper price range.The major manufacturers are now producing models for the low end of the market . If I was looking a low end machine I would look at the following machines. Garrett- ace250? Whites prizm. If you do not want to upgrade look at Fisher 1236x2(used) or Fisher ID excel(used) which you can obtain in the upper end of your price range. Also already upgraded would be the new Tesoros Cibola and Vaquero($40 to $140 over your price range),however, there is just too much "Hype" right now for honest judgements of these new Tesoros but I would test them. Remember pick a detector you like-not someone else's favorite. You may prefer a less complex machine and not all the bells and whistles. Try before you buy. Stay with the major manufacturers Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, Troy Shadow,Fisher. Ignore the endless parade of cheap "no name" detectors on the internet.

Take your time. You are in no hurry.
George
GOOD ADVICE BAKERGEOL,WELCOME TEXAN I HOPE YOU GET AS" ADDICTED"AS I AM.I FIND MYSELF LOOKING FOR POTENTIAL"HUNTING"SITES EVERY TIME I'M IN MY TRUCK DRIVING.AN THATS EVERYDAY!GOOD LUCK

smhead

Greenie
Oct 12, 2004
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of you are in the Dallas area, mineralization shouldn't be a big deal. I'm donw the freeway in Houston and have little trouble. The advice given already sounds just like advice I gove, be wary of ewveryone telling you a particular detector is best- ain't so. Stick with the name brands, bet the most you can afford, and try 'em out at a store if you can. Some like the target ID and multi tone detectors with all the bells and whistles, and all the learning curve sometimes. Some like the sipler ones, just as powerful, but you have less to mess with and need to learn to read the sound and nuances of your machine. I prefer the more simple approach, so I like detectors from Tesoro and Troy, but I always love to fiddle with everyone else's detctors when I can. I am getting a Garret ACE 250 for my son, and I have heard thats a greay detector for the few reports out about it. I tested on locally at a shop and liked it (test unit). Its got a basic size/depth meter too.

Just read and read some more, apply your BS filter to what you read, and then see if you can get your hands on a few locally to try out.

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
I recently got a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II as i was also in the 300 dollar price range. If I could have a do over I would have got a Fisher 1225-X because of its no motion pinpoint feature which the BH does not have. I got the BH because of its LCD display but find I rarely even look at it. I find that the three different tones tell me what I need to know. I am a beach hunter and the BH is a dog in the wet sand but is great in the dry. I am going to upgrade to the Fisher CZ-20 after Christmas and give the BH to my son. Wal marts detectors I think are made by Bounty Hunter and are exact copies.

R

ranger ricky

Not sure if this will help I called the catalog dept. for wal mart, i was told to try any of there detectors for 30 days if it was to complicated or I wanted to return it for a full refund, Im trying there best model, and I dont have anything to compare it to except the "do's and don'ts i read on here"

M

mrmark55

My first detector was a Walmart special BH Pioneer 202 about $200.? I found lots of coins at local parks all in the 2" to 6" range.? Like any other brand it has a learning curve but I got to the point of digging about 75 to 80% good finds (clads) and 25% trash ratio. You get a lot of false beeps but with practice you can get pretty proficient.? Even found one Civil War bullet and a few wheaties.? However, I agree with others that if you can afford it buy your first detector from a dealer.? Most of them have been in the hobby for a while and can help you get the best bang for your buck depending on the type of detecting you are planning to do.? If the bug bites hard like it did to me, you can always upgrade at a later date to the specialty type detector that you really want.? I recently purchased a new DFX and while I increased my finds 200%,? I really overspent for the type of detecting that I do which is recreational coin shooting.? Don't get me wrong, I love my new machine but the point I'm trying to make is that you do not have to spend a fortune to have a wonderful time and find lots of great stuff. There are affordable alternatives. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread