New User looking for Metal detector Buying Advice

K

kycoinhunter

Hey All
I am interested in buying a new metal detector ! I would like some advice on what make and model to buy. I have been looking at the Garrett 2500, Minelab Explorer II and White ! I see feature on all of them that I like and dis-like so instead of just jumping in and buying one I thought I would try asking for some advice from other users !? The only experince in hunting I have was from a few years back I using a cheap #@&^ Radio ShaXX brand detector that done good to find a pull tab ! I would like to keep the cost between $800 to 1500.00 dollars.
? ? ? ? ? ?Main place of use will be in KY,TN. use? coins, treasure and civil war relics I don't have any plans of traveling across the globe to hunt Gold ! but I would like to have a detector that capable of doing it if I decided to.

Thanks
JD

P.S If possible send advice to me at >>> [email protected]? ?and if not just post it here !!! ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kycoinhunter

Come on now I know someone has something to say !

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I reccomend looking at the fisher CZ-line of detectors. Kentucky/Tennessee are tough in the
mountainous areas-not much money to lose in the old days. My family were Harlan county coal miners and they used scrip{coal company store tokens} in the old days. They can be very profitable to find. Country churches and old homes are great choices. Always keep your eye out for bottle dumps! Bottles are hot now, and collectors such as myself, are always looking to add to their collections.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well if you are serious and really intend to get your money's worth from your detector - then buy a Minelab Explorer II. You won't be sorry. It has 28 frequencies and never needs to be ground balanced.
It has a double D coil that covers more ground (deeper) than any other machine on the market IMO.

Once you learn the machine - you'll be glad you made the investment. It handles any kind of ground mineralization, black sand and wet sand on the beach. This machine finds stuff that many top-of-the-machines go right over and miss. You want the best? It's simple buy the best - Minelab!

no diggity - no doubt!!!

OP
OP
K

kycoinhunter

Hey guys thanks for the info keep it coming !!

Willy

For overall versatility I'd recommend an MXT. It will pick up gold & other low conductors that the Explorer, Sov. can't see, no matter what size coil is used. I prospect for gold & have used the MXT. Tried the Sov. & it's a waste of time for nuggethunting. granted, it will find one if it's big enough, but that's what a PI is for. Regarding mineralization, neither the Explorer or any other VLF (MXT,Lobo,GTI,CZ,etc.) will handle "any" mineralization. There are limits, and I just so happen to live in a place where this is very apparent. If you want simplicity of operation with outstanding depth, I can recommend the CZ's & MXT.? ..Willy. BTW. The MXT can be swept at a pretty fast speed without losing targets..great for covering large areas.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record. 8)

The Minelab Explorer II uses FBS. Full Band spectrum and is not VLF

My Soveriegn uses BBS. Broad Band Spectrum and is not VLF either.

Both these machines are capable of finding small gold pieces and are not affected by ground mineralization in the least.

Willy

BBS & FBS... ARE vlf. It just refers to more than one vlf frequency being transmitted into the ground, generally 2-3 plus a lot of harmonics from what I gather. It's not much different than the CZ's or DFX in that respect. If you don't believe me, there are a number of forums I could direct you to where they actually BUILD detectors as well as test them. Make that statement on these forums & you will be promptly corrected. Decent enough machines, but definitely vlf. ..Willy?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected 8)

I should have specified that spectrum machines are in fact multi VLF's

I hang my head in shame :D

In any case, the Sov is not affected by ground mineralization (at least mines not)

Willy

No reason to feel bad. These days it seems that most companies selling detectors don't really give the whole story. Things are kinda implied, and the consumer takes it from there. A goud example is "automatic ground balancing". Sounds good, eh? Well, think again. All that means is the ground balance is at a preset value that never changes. This is opposed to "ground tracking", which does change. Another thing about a transmitted signal (knowledge gained from other forums) is that there are often a multitude of harmonic frequencies being transmitted. Thus, there are claims of "infinite spectrum" & whatnot. The thing is, they're not all being analyzed simultaneously, just 2, maybe three. I think on Carl's forum they put a # of machines on oscilliscopes, spectrum analyzers etc., and found that manufacturers claims differed somewhat from reality, or were insignificant. Also, one has to take into affect levels of mineralization & TYPE of mineralization. A machine that can be a depth demon in one area can be useless in another. Believe me, I've used many detectors in different part of North America, doing a lot of prospecting as well as relic/coin/ring hunting, and I have experieced just that. In fact I once lived for 2 months off what i found coin hunting with a Garret Scorpion. The best thing to do is go through the forums where there's no ego involved, just people experimenting. I won't name any 'cause I don't know the forum policy here re. other forums. Anyway, getting tired. ....Willy.

fetz

Nov 27, 2004
lebanon,pa
Detector(s) used
ace 250/Tesoro Cortes/ Whites Bullseye pinpointer
check out the tesoro cortes or deleon retail from southern treasures below real good machines and really easy to use alot of bang for the buck

OP
OP
K

kycoinhunter

ttt Hey guys I am seeing alot of jargon about this and that but nothing that recomends a detector !!

thanks

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi kycoinhunter
They all are recommending their detectors and yes they all are fine detectors. There is no "Mercedes" or best detector out there as ground conditions vary across this country and a detector may do well in one area may do poorly in another. That is why experienced or addicted users have more than one machine. At one time I had a couple of Whites, a Minelab Explorer 11 and sov., GMT and an X-5. Believe me there are hundreds of people who have more detectors than me. In addition, personal tastes and user perferences are important. For instance, I liked the Explor. 11 for coin hunting as it was great for tone ID and in iron but I did not like it's weight and poorly balanced nature. For other users this is simply no big deal. Other non performance? issues- cost? weight? warranty?, short learning curve?

You don't want someone else's favorite detector-pick one you like. Pick a dealer that has a test garden and a wide selection of detectors-those that are menitioned above are fine. Test them and find one you like.

George

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will back Ocean7 and say get the ExplorerII, Kycoinhunter. Thats Minelabs top machine right now and Ocean really puts his to good use.

I'm getting one and a DFX so i can really comb spots thoroughly.

I dont think you can go wrong with either of these machines, and they are both in your said price range. 8)

Willy

I'm gonna be a spoiler here & argue for ergonomics. That said, I'd recommend something with a removeable control box. Most Whites , Explorers, GTI 2500, share one trait... they're heavy pigs. It doesn't matter how well counterbalanced the machine is, weight is weight. After a few hours swinging pain starts setting in. One of the reasons I sold my MXT was that even on flat ground my arm started to hurt after 3-4 hours swinging. It became downright excruciating when I was detecting the walls of a cut bank. Also, with a removeable control box water hunting is easy & protection from rain is as simple as clipping it to a belt under the jacket. That was another reason why I ditched the MXT, bad design re. environmental factors.? Whites isn't a standout in that regard, just an example. Anyway, just another factor to make your decision more difficult.? Cheers.. Willy.

OP
OP
K

kycoinhunter

Hey thanks guys. I am getting more and more responce but it's all keep's getting more complicated as I go. It would be nice to try each of them out but I live in a small town that is a least an hour away from civilization and probally twice that from the closest dealer of any of the detectors I mentioned..... I am shure there maybe someone near by that sells them but from what I have got from doing a dealer search on each Company web page It comes back with give us a call at XXXXX no dealers within 50m radius !!! So I figured I would take a chance and order one off the net !!!

OP
OP
K

kycoinhunter

Hey it's me again just thought that I would add that I would say again that I want to use the detector for coin and relic hunting .. I know of a few spots of ground that was used as camp sites during the civil ... also history books tell of a few other things that happend in the area that could turn up some interesting stuff.
I live in a area that I guess you could say is behind in time there may be 5% of pop here that own a computer that has a dial up internet connection ..... the rest are still stuck in the past.
My self for example I live and breath computers,internet,car's and car audio along with anything electronic. My dad for example works from daylight until dark every day. The only time I have ever seen him in front of a tv was to watch the weather. most of the pop around here is like my dad !

So testing these units is not as easy as driving down the street a couple blocks, walking in and saying I want to try them all " I am buy something today "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions