A few questions regarding a lost ski

lostski

Mar 23, 2011
Hi there,

I have recently lost a ski and was pointed in this direction for possible help.

My ski is buried under probably 50-70 cms of snow.

I was wondering if metal detectors are effective in snow.

Also, there is a local metal detector club (calgary) that I tried to get in touch with (and will try again).
Where I think a problem may arise is that the ski is on very steep, tricky terrain.

I obviously would not ask anyone else to take their metal detector up there, but I cannot imagine someone wanting to have someone else use their equipment. Are there options to rent metal detectng gear in calgary (a google search didn't turn any results).

Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Woops, looks like the link clears the search results. Anyway, when you go to that page, type in metal detectors in the upper right search box. it has them listed.

Rogers Rent-All Ltd_1300927177163.jpg

F

Felinepeachy

Attachments

• Rogers Rent-All Ltd_1300927302995.jpg
    Rogers Rent-All Ltd_1300927302995.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 240

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
I think you should rent a "two box" type. Actually, the modern ones should be called "two coil." They have a coil in front and one in back, and the electronics box and handle in the middle.

You would cover more ground. They usually aren't good for finding anything smaller than a soda can, but one should be able to detect your ski, if it's aluminum.

jepasjapes

Nov 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I have recently lost a ski and was pointed in this direction for possible help.

My ski is buried under probably 50-70 cms of snow.

I was wondering if metal detectors are effective in snow.

Also, there is a local metal detector club (calgary) that I tried to get in touch with (and will try again).
Where I think a problem may arise is that the ski is on very steep, tricky terrain.

I obviously would not ask anyone else to take their metal detector up there, but I cannot imagine someone wanting to have someone else use their equipment. Are there options to rent metal detectng gear in calgary (a google search didn't turn any results).

Thanks for your time.

I had the exact same problem, I was also going to take a metal detector with me. Instead I bought one of these: Revolutionary New Ski Finder For Powder Skiers its a ski locator, really useful when skiing off piste :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread