Would this be a decent place to hunt?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am a first time owner of a brand new Ace 250.

A few years ago, our town suffered a flood. Experts call this a 500 or 1000 year flood.

Sadly, the flood destroyed a large number of homes. These homes were in areas no one thought would be prone to flooding.

The city has been buying these homes, especially in one area, and has been dismantling them for reuse or recycle. Each home is being de-constructed board by board. It is amazing how much material is being recycled, including the stone drives, cement, blocks and bricks.

Many of those lots are empty now, with just square holes where the foundations were. The city is suppose to bulldoze those lots and grade the surface dirt, and turn the area into a park.

The area that I am asking about was developed mostly in the 1940's, with further development in the 1950's. I am told that this area was a farm, and the original early Italianate farm house still stands, which was built in the 1870's.

Is it worth the time to detect these sites before the city brings in bulldozers?

Should I try to detect before and after the bulldozers come?

Upvote 0

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great site! I would try to get in there both before AND after the bulldozers hit the area. It's hard to say where the coins will be once they finish. They could end up closer to the surface, in the same place, or buried under more dirt, so make sure you do both.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
mrwilburino said:
Sounds like a great site! I would try to get in there both before AND after the bulldozers hit the area. It's hard to say where the coins will be once they finish. They could end up closer to the surface, in the same place, or buried under more dirt, so make sure you do both.

Ditto!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrwilburino said:
Ditto, Ditto again.
You'll also find lots of trash like building materials and what ever else people left there.

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get there now! You have a lot of area to cover before the bulldozers get there. When the city starts bulldozing, follow right behind with your detector. Could be wrong, but I think you have a gold mine there if you work it right and stay on good terms with the workers.

HH

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also say do it now and aftger the dozers. Make sure you let us know how you did.....Matt

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you everyone!!!! I appreciate the advice!!!

I'll be hitting the area as soon as I kick this awful cold I got last Friday. I had hoped to have used the MD a few hours on Saturday and Sunday both, plus an hour today, but I feel terrible!

There are a ton of homes that are already gone, but there is still more to go.

Does anyone know how much I'd love to find a silver Roosevelt dime???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread