Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've never used the pistol probe but won't hunt without my propointer, sometimes too much depth on the pinpointer makes it harder to find the target, alot of times i'll detune my propointer and really zero in on my targets faster. i can also super tune the propointer if i'm lookin to obtain more depth.

OP
OP
joeman

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dogpound said:
i've never used the pistol probe but won't hunt without my propointer, sometimes too much depth on the pinpointer makes it harder to find the target, alot of times i'll detune my propointer and really zero in on my targets faster. i can also super tune the propointer if i'm lookin to obtain more depth.

What do you find is your maximum depth with the pointer? Also, when 'de-tuned', to they tend to make a lot of noise? Does it work the 'same' in both Audio and Vibration modes?

Cheers,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DetectorPro Uniprobe is fantastic........ I get 6 inches depth on mine and the depth is adjustible from 1/2 inch to 6 inches, comes with fantastic headphones and you run your detector tones through the headphones, there is switch on the headphones, one side is detector tones, other side is probe........ :icon_thumright:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
joeman said:
dogpound said:

What do you find is your maximum depth with the pointer? Also, when 'de-tuned', to they tend to make a lot of noise? Does it work the 'same' in both Audio and Vibration modes?

Cheers,
with my propointer i get about 2-3 inches on coin sized targets, to "detune" your pointer ya just turn it off and back on real quick while its beeping on a target and this will shrink the area the target is in, this is very handy if the target is in the side wall of the hole and your not sure where it is.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Uniprobe is basically a PI detector, it has a sensitivity knob you adjust for depth, quick and simple.... I found a nice 14k gold NYC police badge charm using it around the iron bars of playground equipment where you can't swing a detector. The gold value of that badge paid for the Uniprobe twice over, I bought it used for $175 maybe 3 years ago still works great... :icon_thumright:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used the Uniprobe but I have and love the ProPointer. I agree with a previous poster who stated that sometimes having more depth is not better. There is a sweet spot where it really seems to maximize your potential for finding the target. Think of it this way, if you pinpointer has a depth capability of a mile then it really isn't a pinpointer and isn't going to help you at all. On the other hand, if your pinpointer can't pick up anything further away than half an inch then it doesn't do you much good either. 2-3" seems to be the sweet spot from what I can tell. Others may disagree.

The fact that the ProPointer beeps faster as you get closer is absolutely invaluable. I have no idea if the Uniprobe does this but I know that the Centech does not and this is the biggest difference in performance in my opinion. I'd have a hard time using a pinpointer that doesn't do this. It's like night and day in my opinion.

The ProPointer is well worth the money and you won't be disappointed. I've not read one bad review of it from anyone. That's really saying something. The Uniprobe and Sunray are also highly rated so I wouldn't hesitate to make those purchases either.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogpound said:
this is the trick to "supertune" your propointer(get more depth)

Wow! Thanks for that tip. I'll have to try that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
I've never used the Uniprobe but I have and love the ProPointer. I agree with a previous poster who stated that sometimes having more depth is not better. There is a sweet spot where it really seems to maximize your potential for finding the target. Think of it this way, if you pinpointer has a depth capability of a mile then it really isn't a pinpointer and isn't going to help you at all. On the other hand, if your pinpointer can't pick up anything further away than half an inch then it doesn't do you much good either. 2-3" seems to be the sweet spot from what I can tell. Others may disagree.

The fact that the ProPointer beeps faster as you get closer is absolutely invaluable. I have no idea if the Uniprobe does this but I know that the Centech does not and this is the biggest difference in performance in my opinion. I'd have a hard time using a pinpointer that doesn't do this. It's like night and day in my opinion.

The ProPointer is well worth the money and you won't be disappointed. I've not read one bad review of it from anyone. That's really saying something. The Uniprobe and Sunray are also highly rated so I wouldn't hesitate to make those purchases either.

Yes Uniprobe ticks like a geiger counter, faster the closer your get to target, and as mention the depth is adjustible which is a fantastic feaure. I can adjust it anywhere between 1/2 inch to 6 inches so I set it to where I want. The 6 inch is nice because 75% of the time once I find a target with my detector, I use the uniprobe set for max depth to locate the exact location of target, use my probe to feel it which tells me the depth, then use my EZ-Dig-R ( 7/8" or 1 1/4" shovel ) to retrieve it .... When I am done you cant even tell I was ever there, no plug, no visible signs of any digging or that I was there, I just pinch the sod back together, this allows me to hunt in areas I might not be able to hunt otherwise. I have had park employes watch me, then walk off and never saw a word to me about digging....

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the pistol probe and have really never seen any disadvantage in having a little bit more depth. I'm not sure if people are basing that theory on personal experience or hearsay. I think that some believe that a PI pinpointer will sound off on all nearby targets. they're just not powerful enough to do that. like any pinpointer, it's going to pick up whatever target you point it at. If you've pinpointed correctly with your detector then you will pick up the same target with the pinpointer. If there is a nearby target that is large enough to overpower the signal then that is going to happen no matter what unit you are using. There are other features to consider when shopping for a pinpointer but depth is always a plus.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only pinpointer I'll use any more is the Garrett Propointer. Have used most that are out there. For me Garrett is the best.
HH, RCW

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
another pinpointer i really like is my sunray, with the sunray i have it set with my detectors discrimination so if there is a junk target along side the good target i can zero in on just the good target. exact pinpointing is also very easy since it gives the same strong tone just as my detector does with the pinpointing button on my machine pushed in. years ago i never used any pinpointer, now i wouldn't leave home without one, just a great tool ta have.

OP
OP
joeman

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Everybody!

I think I'll go with the Garrett Pro and see where that takes me! I like the little trick with the coin for depth too.... Pretty neat.

Cheers, ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread