Metal Detecting at Night?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thirty years or so you could do this safely, but today you need to be armed if in a city park. Most parks close at night now, but beaches are still open at many places if you are near one.

You should be able to detect any time you can. The down side is most people think you are up to no good at night when moving around with a flashlight.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One thing about night-detecting, is don't bother with a flash-light, head-lamp light, etc.... Just pick nights with good moonlight (ie.: don't go on nights with zero moon out), and usually, the moon and star light will be plenty fine to see what you're doing, where you're walking, etc.... And of course, you can have a little pen-light in your apron to look at dates on coins, etc... when needed.

The reason not to use head-lamp lights, etc.... is that your eyes will become adjusted/focused on *JUST* that beam of light, and will never adjust to anything else. You will become blind to everything around you, like looking through a tunnel. Instead, just let your eyes become focused to the regular star and moon-light, and its ample fine to see to swing around bushes, trees, rocks, etc.... And besides, you're going by sound in your headphones anyhow.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to detect at night a lot but got hassled by cops too much.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
One thing about night-detecting, is don't bother with a flash-light, head-lamp light, etc.... Just pick nights with good moonlight (ie.: don't go on nights with zero moon out), and usually, the moon and star light will be plenty fine to see what you're doing, where you're walking, etc.... And of course, you can have a little pen-light in your apron to look at dates on coins, etc... when needed.

The reason not to use head-lamp lights, etc.... is that your eyes will become adjusted/focused on *JUST* that beam of light, and will never adjust to anything else. You will become blind to everything around you, like looking through a tunnel. Instead, just let your eyes become focused to the regular star and moon-light, and its ample fine to see to swing around bushes, trees, rocks, etc.... And besides, you're going by sound in your headphones anyhow.

True :icon_thumright: In the old west they taught you to never look at the fire if you were on watch, it would kill your night vision, same thing holds true here.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt at night and that is not often , I use the glow chem sticks , they work great and last quite awhile if you get the better ones. You can see well with them and they do not blind your night vision , I use the blue or the Red ones .

I also carry a flashlight along just in case I need a bright light but most of the time after I start the light stick I do not use anything else .

You might give this a try as I was surprised at how good they work at night .

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often go detecting in the night. Mostly in the fields. I like that, nobody comes over and asks stupid questions. You dont need any light. The little led on my Propointer is light enough to pick the finds. Let Your sense work for You. You see much more than You expect and You will hear everything!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped doing it back in the early 80's. Like stated above, the cops were always being called in to "check me out." I also met some really strange people. Eventually I decided it just wasn't fun anymore.

As a rule I'd say forget it. It's just too dangerous today.

But back in the 60's to 70's it was great fun. I didn't have to constantly deal with kids and back then people weren't so "call happy." Today people are quick to make Cell phone calls to police. This is especially true if you drive an old vehicle and look a bit on the rough side.

OP
OP
joeman

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I've seen some really great looking Green-Belts and Off-Leash areas that are basically hidden from sight of most homes. We've also got a number of HUGE parks that are linked by the City-Wide Bike Paths and I those are NOWHERE near any houses, so there's quite a NUMBER of places to Detect at night!

It's just too darn tempting! I think I'll have to try it regardless. The crime rate here isn't too bad and Gun-Carry is illegal for EVERYONE and very difficult to buy. I suppose that's a 'bit' more comforting, although I realize 'bad guys' carry guns anyways, but normally NOT in a Park where they may be checked...

Anyhow, it should be interesting.. Any additional views and tips are welcomed!

Cheers,

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did a bit of early morn hunting last summer at va beach.... 4 o clock am was nice temp wise and usually most drunks were asleep so it worked out ok.... here in pa i just did it 2 weeks ago .. i went out to a harvested soy feild 3am... it was a little bit eery and was rather cold that morn but the full moon gave me more than enough light .... i was using the x-cal so no meter, dig everything by sound.. you gotta know your machine real well when hunting at night as adjustments can be little tricky if you forget which knob is which....also pinpointing and target retreival are little slower inthe dark.... i dont know if i would do a park at night unless neatness isnt required when refilling your holes...

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check it out and see what happens.

Around here you will get hassled by the police as anybody moving about in a park in the dark would be suspected of being a drug dealer.

However that is mostly a moot point here. In the parks of the town I live in and parks in surrounding towns have hours posted for park use. Here you have to be out by 9:00pm or face arrest. Its done because of drug deals going down.

Tom2hunt

Mar 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike, Fisher 1236-X2 and Gold Bug
If you need some light you need to use a red light source. The red light will not effect your eyes after you already focus on the night conditions. This is what astronomers use at night to look at their star maps and charts.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Tried detecting at night a couple of times many years ago. As I sorta remember, the mosquitos were pretty bad, but what I do remember very well is the bed of FireAnts I dug into.Their bite "Smarts" bigtime and that's what I did. Got "smart", and ended my plundering around in the nite digging holes. HH, Cass

CENLAcoin

Feb 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I hunt at night sometimes, I use an LED headlamp when needed, and swing in the dark.

I live in a pretty remote area, though, so crime really isn't a concern. I enjoy the solitude.

(we hardly remember to lock our doors....lol)

HH,
Will

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont hunt parks too much but maybe a call to the police letting them know where you'll be would thwart the anonymous calls from residents. If its legal then why not light up the dark. I wouldn't think that too many drug dealers, criminals, and other shady people would be wandering around in the middle of a public place with a 2million candle watt spotlight! Which ever method you prefer just be safe and lawful! GOOD LUCK!

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
All has pretty much been said, but I'm throwing my vote in as a 'Go for it'. I tried it once on the beach with a big flashlight, and that's a no no. Can't see squat because your blind. I use a Streamlight flashlight with a red bulb only when needed. It's aluminum and easy to find with the detector if I misplace it. Plus it's thin and fits in my back pocket. Your recoveries will be harder, but it is nice as the bugs aren't as bad and it's cooler in the summer. Pretty sunrises are a bonus and I can get back home in time for a 2nd cuppa coffee.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Only the bad people are out after midnight. That is what my grandfather used to tell me and he was right.

Seems bad things happen after midnight. The people who leave the bars after they are forced out by closing times. Usually drunk and not able to drive...but they do.

The underworld people.....people looking to score an easy buck...and will take advantage of anyone they meet are out at night. Night people are one of the reasons why concealed carry is so popular.

I say do whatever you feel you are comfortable with. But I just hope we don't read about you in the news paper!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In my neck of the woods, I find night tectin a valuable tool, and almost a necessity. So do the second shift guys. If it's not safe in your area to hunt at night, I can see that. We don't have snakes or fire ants or nasty critters or evil killers running around trying to kill night time metal detector dudes, so its easy . We do it all the time. What about the post about day hunting in the woods? Some guys seem to need handguns to feel safe doing that. Where does it end, or begin? It's all relative. I night hunt in my secret spots next to busy roads because I don't want anyone seeing me, it's my secret spot and I'm really greedy. I don't need any more competition so I go at night so as not to be seen. Plus you can really become one with the machine at night, it's an intense charge of heavy duty metal detecting energy at night, the tector goes twice as deep at night, your skills are twice as sharp at night. Try it if you can.

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're talking about detecting in the States at night - don't do it. Just too dangerous. If, however, you are in Canada, have at it. I understand it's still a very safe country, even if it is only a 100 miles away from me. ;D

CENLAcoin

Feb 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Well that may be true on 8-mile in Detroit, but the States is a pretty big place and there are lots of places it is fine.

Use common sense, and if you don't feel confortable about your safety, then that tells you all you need to know!

For me, where I live the most dangerous thing at night would probably be a possum scaring the crap out of me! lol.

HH,
Will

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread