Oil Rig Pads

RTGambler

Mar 3, 2011
Just out of curiosity. In my area there are a number of oil rigs that are drilling. They will be in a location for a period of time and then move. Has anyone searched a site like this? What types of things might I find. Who would I need to get permission from the land owner, the oil company? Is it worth the hassle. I am in Northern Colorado and many of these are on farm land

Upvote 0

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having worked on rigs in the past, my best guess is that coins will be few and far between, if at all. At best you might find a few tools. Most of what will be left behind will probably be junk iron, scraps of wire, pop cans etc. Usually tho most crews throw everything of no use into a trash pit which is usually covered over when the drilling is done. Good luck if you do go forward with the hunt, it could be interesting to see what you find.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked the rigs on shore and off shore for many years, and I can tell you that the ones on shore will not have much there, yes you may find a few coins that the crew drops , but when you work on one you do not have much on you . It is just how it is. And as to anything of value from the rigs , there is not much that you would be able to do anything with.
You might find come copper wire. But the main thing is the place will be so trash heavy with everything you can think of and grinding slag and welding slag and nuts and bolts every where.

I am not just trying to get you not to do a search , it's that I know what is around the rigs and what goes on. And after they complete the well they will grade the place off , now you might be able to find some loose money at the fence rows after they are graded . BUt if you give it a try , good luck.

And a word of warning , if they have a reserve pit out off to the side do not go near it. As it will give way with you and you can not get out. Worse than quicksand .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread