mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that's true but if you keep them they all add up to $$$$$. I keep all of mine and turn them in at the end of the year along with all the other type of metal that I find.....Matt

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Pull tabs are the main thing that keep lazy hunters from digging all the gold. :laughing9: :laughing7:

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull tabs are your friend, they are the reason there are still things to find, especially now
with every yayhoo buying a detector and trying to get youtube rich.

Pull tabs make them get frustrated and sell their detector dirt cheap on craigslist to me.

I love pull tabs, they keep my hobby fun.

Here's my favorite in sterling silver :icon_pirat:

silverbeertabpendant200.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep said:
Pull tabs are your friend, they are the reason there are still things to find, especially now
with every yayhoo buying a detector and trying to get youtube rich.

Pull tabs make them get frustrated and sell their detector dirt cheap on craigslist to me.

I love pull tabs, they keep my hobby fun.

Here's my favorite in sterling silver :icon_pirat:
You make a very good point.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While water hunting I enjoy finding pull tabs because I know people were there. All I gotta do to find a gold ring is to get my coil over it. Pull tabs in the grass are a different matter as removing many can cause grass damage so I usually only retrieve the coins. Since pull tabs are in the same range as most gold rings, not digging them lowers your chances of finding a $$$ ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I start digging a lot of pulltabs I know no one has dug the gold. When I go over long stretches with no targets I get more discourged than I do when I'm digging pulltabs.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah pull tabs --- aka the "guardians of the gold" --they are the metal detecting knights test to keep "unworthy ones" amoungst them from the holy grail of "gold rings" :wink:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookindown said:
When I start digging a lot of pulltabs I know no one has dug the gold. When I go over long stretches with no targets I get more discourged than I do when I'm digging pulltabs.

Yep. Was at an old park yesterday and had a section that the detector barely made a beep...junk or otherwise. Found 1 lonely lincoln.

About 40' away started finding pulltabs and bottle caps and so came the coins!

Someone was pretty thorough and made it very clear where they were and weren't. I left them the "gold rings" :laughing9:.

AL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
trash is often the guardian of treasure * many detectorist -- are like most people in general they want "easy pickings" --if its a bit of work many skip it -- thus trashy areas can often hide the good stuff since lazy detectorist thru the years have "skipped over" these trashy spots -- :wink: one has to go slow and be through when working spots like these --a small coil helps too.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to become a successful treasure hunter you must learn to work with the pull tabs and not fight them. Pull taps are a way of life and are here to stay. I try to eliminate most pull tabs but I also accept I am going to dig a certain amount, and this I live with. One gave me fits yesterday, of course I didn't yet know what it was. I had to actually call a buddy over and see what his machine hit. Long story, it was a pull tab.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind digging pull tabs, I save them and give them to a group that turns them into money for women's breast cancer research.

CENLAcoin

Feb 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
HP,

funny you should mention this! This morning I posted a topic called "Diggin' Pop Tops"

I quote:

Hey there, fellow Treasure Hunters!

So, like everyone else, I used to get frustrated by the amount of pull tabs I'd dig during an outing in search of the elusive gold ring.

Then my wife told me St. Jude's and many other cancer societies take pull tabs for charity!

Now I no longer even think about discriminating above foil....each one does a child good! icon_thumright

http://www.pulltabsforcharity.org/home

HH,
Will

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Naw they don't suck. They are the one thing that will make the average newbee stop detecting when it is all they find.

Pull tabs sure make the heart pound heavy when you think they are gold rings.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you need fresh "virgin" dirt to hunt --find the most pull tab infested place and get to work , cleaning it all out --(stop and think for a bit and you will see why I say that)--- don't most detecting folks upon hitting a area with a fair bit of pulltabs ditch the area ? --yes they do , thus what ever is there stays there . -- now areas that used to be heavy drinking areas (lots of pulltabs) also had lots of drunk folks --drunk folks are careless and stupid acting for the most part -- (thus likely to lose things and drop coins and jewelry and such -- but its mixed in with buttloads of pulltabs )

drunk folks often are that way due to "bad relationships"with the oppisite sex ( often they will go drinking by the river )--and throw away wedding rings while in the depths of drinking --that cheating witch ---or that no good two timing man -- water hunting near a place where theres a lot of pulltabs on the shore line (popular drunk sit and moan/ drink spot ) can often turn up a few gold rings deposited that way

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit the nail on the head, (ssshhh-don't give away all my secrets! LOL!)

Here is S. Fl. I'm always looking for where the rich drunks are hanging out! Buy 'em drinks and squirt 'em down with suntan oil, is what I say! hehehehehe

Our Club down here used to donate all the pulltabs to Ronald McDonald House, I'll hafta check next meeting, see if we still do that. I find pulltabs keep neatly in the large coffee plastic containers, 5-gallon buckets, those giant water cooler jugs.......scrap man takes it all......lead......copper.......aluminum.......oh, gotta go call see what he'll give on silver, gotta go...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions