you found a tiny gold ? oh no you didnt.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
well i finally found a tiny gold.

yes by eyeballing.

the detector found a buffalo nickel.

i then eyeballed the gold while diggin the hole.

i just got done testing my massive detector collection

on this half ring tiny piece.marked 10k

the bandido umax i was using on that particular hunt

couldnt read it. nor the silver umax. even on all metal

my etrac stood silent and my dual field pi gave not a

whisper. the only machine that gave a very small peep

was a dedicated gold machine.

an old minelab ft 16000 in all metal w boost on.

at zero depth item touching the coil it managed

a very weak peep.

and this is 10k gold too. has more copper in it.

14k and higher gold would be almost impossible to find.

well gold is gold and im happy to find it.

but when others post very tiny single ear studs

and such im gonna look twice with skepticism.

unless the user was using a true gold machine.

which detector could get a decent reading on my small

piece.

compadre? lobo supertraq. scorpion. gold bug.

mxt ? or only them real expensive minelabs

with the long numbers like svp 3500 etc.? that cost 3k

i truly believe that there is a mountain of gold

to be detected out there. the problem is that its

thousands of real tiny pcs being the most common.

on land this would mean searching the very bottom tones

after all the hi tones have been cleared.

Attachments

• th2010 158.jpg
    th2010 158.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 621
  • th2010 159.jpg
    th2010 159.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 608
  • th2010 158.jpg
    th2010 158.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 601
  • th2010 159.jpg
    th2010 159.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Congrats on your gold find! However, I must respectfully disagree with the position you take. A fellow posted on this forum not too long ago that he had been hunting for 30 years or so and had never found gold and never found a nickle. 2 things come to mind here. Either gold and nickles aren't dropped where he lives, or he doesn't know how to operate a detector. Now, I'm not saying that you don't know how to operate a detector. I'm saying that detectors will pick up gold items that small. Mine have, do, and will continue to. You are correct in saying that they do fall on the lower end of the scale, which many people discriminate out. Perhaps you're having a multiple machine malfunction. I know over time, and if you're rough with them, they can loose sensitivity. Just my thoughts....

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
i use the mxt and have no problem finding really small gold, it will pick up a .03-.05 tiny placer gold piece on air test easy in prospect mode about 4-5" from coil (950) coil. and this is a reallllllly tiny piece of placer gold we are talking about.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With more than 25 years experience, I can tell you that it's not your imagination, and it's not
your lack of experience.
A complete Gold ring, being a circle gives a powerful signal back, because it looks like a completed circuit, on a conductivity scale, same concept with Iron washers and iron can lids
that sound so good in the ground until you break the "circuit" then your machine "sees" that it's
Iron and descrimes it.....
You will pick it up if complete, you won't pick it up if it's broken or "Open"
A metal detector reads the "conductivity of a metal" sending a radio like signal into a piece of
metal and looks for an equal eddy signal from that piece to trigger a response from your machine.
The response is differant for all differant types of metal. The type of metal will determine how
strong those return eddy currents are.
A metal that conducts better, will have a stronger eddy current return, Hence Copper and Silver
Bing loud and strong, (but will indeed sound a great deal weaker if the silver or copper ring is broken)
Gold on the other hand does not give back much of a signal at all, therefore when you just have a little piece, the return signal is not sufficient to be picked up by most machines.
People who claim that they consistently dig small gold earrings, or fine gold chains, or lots of small broken gold rings, are certainly in doubt.

There are some specially made gold machines that can pick up the really small signals this gold puts out,
but they are made specifically for certain applications and can not be used in parks or salt water beaches as they will make noise
everywhere you walk.

Years ago, I used to challenge people by having a gold wedding ban in my collection that was cut (by me while digging)
and I showed them, Open they could not detect it, but pushed closed, they got a good signal.
I did this at a metal detecting club I used to be a member at... no one believed me at 1st. but if you wrap it in paper and have 3 pieces of paper
one with the broken ring and two with nothing.... they can't tell you which one is which .....

This has happened to me several times while hunting with some of the top of the line equipment.
I get a great signal on the beach, I start digging, and the signal disappeared....
digging around I spot something gold !! Low and behold it's a wedding band that I cut with my shovel....

But if you had a machine that could pick up things like this, it would only be useful on the beach, because consider all the garbage at such
a small level that you would have to dig to get all those tiny pieces of gold....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 0.4 gram 14k earring with my AT pro. It air tests at two inches. The smallest gold I ever found with my ACE 250 was 0.7 grams.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup - I found this 14k cat earring in a totlot in the wood chips with my Ace 250 (solid nickle signal), it only 0.2 grams. When I found it it was bent in half and I thought it was foil, seen a design and bent it flat and seen what it was.

Attachments

• 14k cat earring 1.jpg
    14k cat earring 1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 14k cat earring 2.jpg
    14k cat earring 2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 425

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1266X, Whites MXT, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree with the completed circuit theory. If that theory was correct than a neclace that was clasped would read stronger than an open necklace. The detector is detecting the mass of target and its conductivity. Likely the broken ring parts are being picked up as multiple targets and ringing in as such, like a gram of flour gold compared to a gram nugget. No doubt that a broken ring or parts of a ring would read weaker than a solid one, would be no different if you cut a nickel in two or three pieces. Think of it like a radar signal, three small objects would be harder to detect than one large one. Also, a ring standing on edge will read weaker than one sitting flat, kinda throws the circuit theory out the window.

I think what is likely happening is that these are small, low conductivity targets that are being discriminated out. Other factors may be its size and how it lies in the ground.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Tejon will pick up stuff as small as bird shot when I run it in all metal. I run into it all the time on a site that is located in a public hunting area. It's an awesome machine when it's in all metal.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread