More Danger in the Woods than just Snakes!!!

Seaadventure

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
I have recently gotten back into MDing & scouting for areas of interest I live. I had seen a post concerning confrontations you may find while out MDing !
I had been looking in a area that you are not about to get the cops help or anyone Else if you find yourself in trouble! I had been doing a general search midweek just looking to find what I had been seeing on a 1900 map.
I had been out a couple of hrs an decided to go back to my car after jumping a few deer taking pictures of things of interest for later searches on the net. I had remembered that there had been a large pond/lake that had dried up so I thought I'll just stop on my way out and see whats still there? I walked down the though the woods and ran up on a Homeless guy out here in the middle of 1,000's of acres. ( He hiked in it was miles on foot) I tried to be friendly but I could tell he was a little daffy in the head wearing a Army outfit he said he was with someone that wasn't their at the time but pointing off to a direction away from the area. I had gotten a smell of a deer that had been cleaned somewhere in the location (I'm assuming here) I just smelled a dead deer I never saw one. I hunt a good bit so I have knowledge on that. I left it at that and took off!

It is very dangerous to confront anyone doing stuff that is not lawful Pouching or Growing pot etc. The general idea here is that their are now a # of homeless that have no where to go so they are taking to the woods & living off the land doing their thing. He seemed to be a nice enough guy but the next one may not be.

I would rather deal with a Rattler, than someone that is a little touched in the head, you never know what they will do. It's something that is Real and you may have to make plans as to what your going to do on your next hunt because I think your going to see more of it in the future.
Safe Hunting!

Upvote 0

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog
Like you I hunt alone most of the time. I am always armed. I have run across packs of dogs and some disreputable characters over the years. I don't know their intentions but my intention is to always make it home to my family.

Junker

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I believe in the old boy scout motto which is --"be prepared" :wink: :icon_thumright: when out in the wilds (anyplace that you can not easily summon help with a cell phone from ) -- both a gun and a first aid kit needs to be with you.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
and its why I'm still here to be bugged by you. :thumbsup: :read2: :coffee2:

there are times and places and people and events that can take your life in a heartbeat if you are "unprepared" -- a "unprepared" person is just a statistic waiting around for thier number to come up.

even prepared folks can not prevent everything but I honestly believe that they have a much better chance of surviving than the unprepared do when the fecal matter hits the oscillating device .

proper planning & preperation prevents pitifully poor preformance .

if you fail to plan - your plans WILL fail .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I always carry a pistol when in the woods.......... But sea... what state are you in ? You do not have were you are from.....

Quark

Apr 8, 2009
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds a bit like this guy.

Attachments

• do_not_touch.gif
    do_not_touch.gif
    11 KB · Views: 1,145

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like that recently happened to me. I was in the middle of nowhere walking down an abandon road when about 100 yards in front of me, some guy pops out of the bushes in full camo. He unzips his shirt and pulls something out that looks like a knife and then brings a bandanna up to his face. I switched my shovel to my good arm and started walking towards him and I realized he pulled out shears and was wiping the sweat off his face. He was about 65 years old and his face was covered in scars. I think he was just as apprehensive as me as I was of him, hence the shears. I tried talking to him but he would just mumble weird stuff about "Indian relics" his friend had.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have one. Serpents will mainly leave you alone it you don't mess with them but it is the human snakes you have to watch for.

angler 07

Greenie
Jan 26, 2007
Tulsa, OK
One time I was walking a creek looking for arrowheads when I came upon a group of 4 people living in tents in the middle of the woods in the middle of nowhere. It was a 3 hour hike from the nearest road to that location. I do not know what they were up to but they were very unhappy about having thier location discovered. They were very interested in knowing who I was, and what I was doing there. They had a rifle, and I was unarmed. They had some very mean looking and sounding german shepards that alerted them to my presence in the first place. I told them what I was doing and wanted no trouble, and showed them the flint I had already pocketed. I then continued briskly down the creek out of sight then doubled back into the woods and headed for the truck and never went back. I assume they were growing marijuana or something. They were young men, didn't exactly look homeless, and they sure did not want anyone else around.

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seaadventure said:
I haven't had a chance to look back at my note. Been looking at some other things to go looking for in the area.
I'm from the Red Neck Panhandle of Florida.
I have been shot at while out Deer hunting a few years ago, no accident.
They tend to be a little Red Neck down here. I dropped out of my tree stand and Really pulled my 44 Mag out and just waited for them to come up to me. I saw them drive off later after shooting. I had given it a lot of thought about using my 270 for a little pay back as they drove off? I had a friend of mine which was a Game Warden told me he wouldn't have thought twice? Down here in the south if you kill someone you better be ready to kill their family too! They are very much that way here even today.

I am also from the Florida Panhandle...born and raised, although I do not live there now due to my active military status. Yes...it is a "Southern" area, but you don't have to rub it in the stero-type so much. As far as people shooting at you...I can't tell you how many dope patches I walked into while hunting. I am really surprised I was never shot at. But you have to be really careful about that stuff there...especially if you are near some good growing land such as lowlands, swamps or river land. What probably happened was they caught you hunting in what "they perceived" as their hunting area...whether they owned the land or not.

Secondly...Its called having your family's back! You say it as if its a bad thing?? But I get what you mean...my wife is from NE Ohio and even after 20 years of marriage doesn't understand that mentality. She says...Why not let the law take care of it?

Regardless...please lay of the redneck lines and sterotypes. To me that is is as bad as any homophobic or racist slurs out there...but since we are white males...it carrys not meaning as a derogatory slur. Lets not provide the ammo for those that use it please. Thanks...and this was just my humble opinion.

"Redneck is a historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor white farmers in the Southern United States.[1] [2] It is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash.[4][5][6] In recent decades, the term expanded its meaning to mean bigoted, loutish, and opposed to modern ways,[7] and has often been used to attack Southern conservatives and racists.[8] "

Now you wouldn't go around saying certain other terms in the general public...so what makes it right to use this on? Hell I even heard a news report saying the "R-word" rather than say retarded. But the news stations and interviewers will use Redneck like it is nothing...tell me please why this word is acceptable, but no other word used to describe any particular race other than caucasions is not?

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
A few years back, I was hunting in the river bottoms. I was on an old levee, where an old river shack used to be. To my surprise, I found a gold plated locket in the first minutes. I was paying attention to my Detector, because of all of the .223 bullets that were shot there. I walked about 50 feet, and saw a Lithium battery all torn up. Then I saw a lot of lithium batteries. Then hoses, and other tools. I was on top of a bonified Meth Lab. It looked like it was not in use for a while. I turned around, and got out of there quickly. Meth is the main problem here in Indiana. They will shoot your head off at a distance. I was about 10 miles from civilization in both direction. I could have been dead, and lost forever. Just be careful out there guys. When people are strung out, or protecting their lab; you will be in hot water. I never went back to that exact spot again for my safety. Just remember, no matter how big your weapon is; those good ole boys have scopes. Always check out your surroundings. Be safe, and happy hunting.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
first and foremost *

if someone is shooting in your direction on purpose * how do you know if they are trying to scare you off --or kill you but they just missed cuz their crappy shots?

answer you don't know *-- but I do know that if ANYONE EVER AIMS A GUN IN MY DIRECTION AND FIRES UPON ME AND I HAVE THE MEANS TO RESPOND IN KIND -- THEY BEST BE PRAYING .--

I veiw shooting in my direction when you know I AM IN THAT AREA , AS ATTEMPTED DEADLY ASSAULT * and will respond in like force as per the law of self defense.

in some remote places there are meth labs in the deep woods (due to the stink made by cooking up meth) they look for a hidden remote location to cook --much like the old moonshiners did (which also stank--so the cookers hide in the deep woods areas) -- pot growers also hide their feilds often in the deep remote woods and are not above killing someone that they see as a threat to their crop ( dope is big money these days) meth head cookers are often very violent due to using the product as well as making it and selling it

shooting back in self defense is not "red neck" behavior its just coomon sense in my veiw --if some unknown strange folks are firing upon you ( thus its possible their trying to kill you ) and you have the means to defend yourself at hand --are you going to "hold fire" till their aim improves and they kill you --or-- shoot them first --thus ending the threat to your life.

and as far as the "clannishness" of folks in the south remark goes --remember this many folks in the south --are of scottish decent * --in scotland --the clan system was the law * of the land -- a man was a member of his clan or he was nothing at all but a roving bum

if a insult was done in a matter of honor --between 2 men -- their respective clan heads would meet to see if it could be resolved -- the insulted one often would put a steep price to be paid for the insult to prevent all out war * if a tribe was weak --it paid the "blackmail" price to avoid war and being wiped out --however if the tribes were of roughly equal strenght often the terms would be rejected and a all out clan war would occur -- when that happen often the war only ended when the one of the 2 clans "bloodline" (every man , woman and child) was totally wiped out .--- thus everyone in a clan "family" had to have each others backs or else--it was "hang together" or "hang alone"
and once one tribe wiped out the other * the winning tribe took over the losers lands and belongings (uh the dead need nothing -- however the living do ) --clan vs clan warfare was quite common --it did not "pay" to be a meek mild mannered peace loving person in scotlland in those days --it would get you killed normally -- only the mean tough and hard that "hung together" as a group survived back in scotland in those days

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
I do carry my friend. I am just lucky that nobody was there at the time, when I was in that situation. Just bad mojo. I just left in a hurry. Better to avoid a problem, if you know what I mean. Good luck, and be safe!

Badger 5

Mar 7, 2011
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab
Be prepared, In the woods in the desert and most of all in the city's. The two legged snakes are the worst

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
in forested areas --if one is flying a small plane at night and the engines die out (forced landing) --and one turns on the landing light and sees nothing but trees -- I strongly suggest saying "lord forgive me of all my sins " cuz your liable to be seeing him very soon.

or you can place your head firmly between your knees as far as you can --that way you can kiss yer butt goodbye.

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seaadventure said:
I see that I have offended glassyeyed here. My intention wasn't to offend anyone but to describe the area and the people. I'm not going to do battle with anyone on here about Political Correctness its a losing situation. It's a dog chasing its tail.

When I had a meeting with a group of Private Pilots we sat and listened to a FAA spokesperson that says it the best!
One Pilot asked this Question " Sir! What Do I do if I'm flying at night and my engine go's dead, I turn my landing light on an see nothing but trees below me?" FAA guy says: If you don't like what you see turn your light off.

I see my last post has been deleted...not even edited...just deleted. Yet the derogatory and racist terminology above still exists? Heck...even murder was contemplated above as shown by this comment "I had given it a lot of thought about using my 270 for a little pay back as they drove off?" Not only murder, but murder by shooting in the back...wow. Yet still my post was deleted and these were left alone.

I can only assume we can call each other names (based on our race) and talk about killing each other...but by no means are you to "almost" spell out a cuss word. Its a sad world out there folks and some of you are making it even sadder by using such terms.

Seadventure...you have in no way offended me. Just the opposite has happened. You have enlightened me to the status of your morality and mindset. You have also allowed me to see and judge the same on the moderator. One question for you both though...Have you ever sat and listened to a rap song and wonder why they use the N-word so much...especially after so much effort has gone into squashing it into oblivion? Now go back up and look at what you wrote...in your terms "to describe the area and the people".

If you wanted to describe the area and the people you could have easily said proud southerners, but instead you used other words to get everyone in the right mindset to understand your story. Nice job...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GlassyEyed said:
Seaadventure said:
I see that I have offended glassyeyed here. My intention wasn't to offend anyone but to describe the area and the people. I'm not going to do battle with anyone on here about Political Correctness its a losing situation. It's a dog chasing its tail.

When I had a meeting with a group of Private Pilots we sat and listened to a FAA spokesperson that says it the best!
One Pilot asked this Question " Sir! What Do I do if I'm flying at night and my engine go's dead, I turn my landing light on an see nothing but trees below me?" FAA guy says: If you don't like what you see turn your light off.

I see my last post has been deleted...not even edited...just deleted. Yet the derogatory and racist terminology above still exists? Heck...even murder was contemplated above as shown by this comment "I had given it a lot of thought about using my 270 for a little pay back as they drove off?" Not only murder, but murder by shooting in the back...wow. Yet still my post was deleted and these were left alone.

I can only assume we can call each other names (based on our race) and talk about killing each other...but by no means are you to "almost" spell out a cuss word. Its a sad world out there folks and some of you are making it even sadder by using such terms.

Seadventure...you have in no way offended me. Just the opposite has happened. You have enlightened me to the status of your morality and mindset. You have also allowed me to see and judge the same on the moderator. One question for you both though...Have you ever sat and listened to a rap song and wonder why they use the N-word so much...especially after so much effort has gone into squashing it into oblivion? Now go back up and look at what you wrote...in your terms "to describe the area and the people".

If you wanted to describe the area and the people you could have easily said proud southerners, but instead you used other words to get everyone in the right mindset to understand your story. Nice job...

MOST IMPORANTLY
http://www.treasurenet.com/terms/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread