I just sold a ring to Midwest Refineries, got nice check

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I have several rings found with my metal detector and one of the members here suggested that you can sell your precious metal finds to Midwest Refineries. Well I had never done it before so I thought I would send one ring in to see what would happen. The ring I sent had part silver and part gold so it was hard for me to calculate the weight/value. I got the check today (7/15/06) for it and I was very pleasantly surprised with the amount! And the turn around time was quick. I sent the ring to them on July 5. When I sent it I did buy insurance from the Post Office in case anything happened to it. Again, I was impressed with the service and price I got at Midwest Refineries.

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really come on thats a tease what they pay you for it and how much did they deduct for refining etc..

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I got $76 for it. To give you some perspective, I took a large mens 14 kt gold ring with diamonds to a pawn shop a couple years back and they only gave me $25 for it.

Here is their link:
http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

R

rvbvetter

Pawn shops I believe give you 10 cents or 10% on the dollar. Some years ago during tough times, I pawned a 14 k hand made gold ring that weighed nearly an ounce. That I found with a detector and had appraised at a local jeweler at $900.00. That was in 1982 or 3 The pawn shop gave me $85.00 for it. Unfortunatly times didn't improve soon enough to ever retrieve it. Still sick about that. It would probably have made it into the magazine if found today. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a refinery does is weigh all the gold you send and melt everything together, all different Karats. A sample is poured and tested for purity and a amount is set for what the spot price is for at the start of that day. I think Midwest is paying 94% of spot, but they might have changed it. Ask a gold dealer what percent of Spot they are paying. I've had some "gold dealers" act like they didn't know what I was talking about.

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
Thanks for the info. I have a couple pounds of Gold Filled scrap and was looking for a place to sell it to.

B

Beachkik

Thanks ringding...its good to know the "skinny"about a Co.from one of us,I will try them in the future....good hunting..Al..

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey ,how manny KT was the ring that you sent them, i have a few peices of 14 kt that id like to take care of in a similiar mannner .maybe ,still on the fence on this one...

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
The ring was unique in that it was a combination of 14 kt gold and sterling silver. They weren't alloyed though. The inner part was silver and then there was a band of gold around the top of that.
Just an FYI, silver and gold prices have declined a little bit this week.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I just sold some gold to Midwest Refineries, got nice check

I tried them 2 weeks ago.....
Here is what I sent....a mixture of 14kt chains, rings, 10kt rings, and some 18kt medallions. I melted it down myself with a blow torch from work...it didn't work that well.
It was a pile of non gold looking blobs when I finished...but it weighed out at 75 grams. I figured it to be at least 12kt, when all said and done.
I boxed it up, and off she went...with a note as to what I had done etc...
I received a letter back from them in about 7 days...inside the letter was a document of the analysis of the their findings - smelt, re-weigh and assay that they performed...
Their results were:
Troy ounces Rec'd - 2.369
Wt. After Melt - 2.297
Assay Yield% - 51.089
Troy oz's contained - 1.174
Troy oz.'s payable - 1.103
Market Price - $618.00
Settlement - $681.72

I was very satisfied...they were fast, and fair...and the check just bought me another Detector.
I have a copy of their report if anyone would like to see one....
Again, very happy overall with them.

Trez

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I just sold some gold to Midwest Refineries, got nice check

Trez said:
I tried them 2 weeks ago.....
Here is what I sent....a mixture of 14kt chains, rings, 10kt rings, and some 18kt medallions. I melted it down myself with a blow torch from work...it didn't work that well.
It was a pile of non gold looking blobs when I finished...but it weighed out at 75 grams. I figured it to be at least 12kt, when all said and done.
I boxed it up, and off she went...with a note as to what I had done etc...
I received a letter back from them in about 7 days...inside the letter was a document of the analysis of the their findings - smelt, re-weigh and assay that they performed...
Their results were:
Troy ounces Rec'd - 2.369
Wt. After Melt - 2.297
Assay Yield% - 51.089
Troy oz's contained - 1.174
Troy oz.'s payable - 1.103
Market Price - $618.00
Settlement - $681.72

I was very satisfied...they were fast, and fair...and the check just bought me another Detector.
I have a copy of their report if anyone would like to see one....
Again, very happy overall with them.

Trez

That's the best "report" on their services I've seen - now I have some hard data to look at so I can estimate what I would get. Thanks very much for your concise and specific information Trez!!!

kid iowa

Aug 7, 2005
Do they factor in the diamonds/stones worth, or do you take it out and just send in the metal?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kid iowa said:
Do they factor in the diamonds/stones worth, or do you take it out and just send in the metal?

Take out the stones...just send the metal.

Trez

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Michigan Badger said:
ringding said:
I got $76 for it. To give you some perspective, I took a large mens 14 kt gold ring with diamonds to a pawn shop a couple years back and they only gave me $25 for it.

Here is their link:
http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

I wonder how much they give for gold crowns? Hummm...have to check on that.

You dig many gold crowns MB? LOL :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions