How to hunt an 1800s school house foundation

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
How to hunt an 1800's school house foundation

Hi everyone, my metal detecting has taken me from parks/yards/gather areas to a new spot I just secured sole permission to hunt, the remnants of an old 1800's school house foundation. I gave the area a quick test detect to see what was in store for me.....let's say this is going to be tough. It is a rather small area of woods, maybe only 50yds wide by 40yds long. dead center in this wood lot is the old stone foundation about 12 inches high of what was an 1800's PA school house. The woodlot is a cluster of thick scrub oak, fallen large oaks and briars. I asked the owner if I could clear out enough of the trees/brush to at least swing the detector and she told me YES, whatever I would like is fine with her. During my 20 minute prospect hunt, I found two things....the head of a silver spoon at around 6 inches and a TON of rusty iron signals. There are large pieces of iron lying around, old farm equipment pieces and some unknowns.
So...what I am asking is, how would you go about hunting this with the e-trac? Should I just hunt wide open and dig ALL signals? Should I go TTF? Should I keep the same pattern I use for coin-shooting? The spoon head was found as I walked with the detector in front of me....there is literally NO room to swing currently. As far as I know, a detector has never gone over this land, or not legally since being acquired 45 years ago. I'm very excited to have this all to myself, but at the same time I am very intimidated and concerned I might miss something big!
should I spend all my time outside the foundation or should I put the hours into cleaning out all the scrub oaks and brush from inside the foundation as well? Did old school houses have floors or was that dirt exposed back then?
Size of the foundation is probably only 30'X20' max.
thanks for any tips!

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How to hunt an 1800's school house foundation

TTF for sure, I have good luck around one room school houses, lots of Indians, a few silver, barbers, merc and a couple standing liberty quarters, buffalo and shield nickels as well. Run TTF and dig all high tones, you should score some oldies

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would dig all signals and keep everything you did up. The old scrap iron you can turn into quick cash at the recycle center in your area. Plus once you get all the junk out of the way the good stuff will start showing up.......Matt

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would work outside the foundation and away from the iron patch. Far enough away to where you have room to work in between the iron targets. When you get around the iron bits use very short swings of your coil to try and avoid them. After you have worked the place for a couple months then start to work towards the foundation and cleaning out the iron. The best way to hunt a site like this is to take your time. It can't be hunted like a park. I dig everything above iron.

-Swartzie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Swartzie said:
I would work outside the foundation and away from the iron patch. Far enough away to where you have room to work in between the iron targets. When you get around the iron bits use very short swings of your coil to try and avoid them. After you have worked the place for a couple months then start to work towards the foundation and cleaning out the iron. The best way to hunt a site like this is to take your time. It can't be hunted like a park. I dig everything above iron.

-Swartzie

I Agree with This :thumbsup:

Work Towards the Foundation over a long period.
Not in Or at
till that's all that's Left.

and In the foundation will Be remains of the
Building, an archeological type Dig
will most likely be Necessary

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dig all signals. remember this is an old country school and country kids seldom had any money to carry and no place to spend it so what you will be looking for mainly will be relics and relics come in all over the board. thoroughly hunting a site like this is not for the faint heart, its hard work if you want to do it right. good luck and happy hunting.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

can't figure why so many people say there is no coins around 1 room school houses?? I have founds coins at everyone I have hunted!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You could have called me on this you know? :D

If you feel it's worth it, Jump in the trash pit using the Two Tone ferrous mode using a very small coil. If you can handle the symphony of tones, I guarantee you'll find something decent.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goes4ever said:
can't figure why so many people say there is no coins around 1 room school houses?? I have founds coins at everyone I have hunted!

Did one briefly in '09 with my sovereign.

Wheats 10, 11, & 44 & a ring
between the School & the outhouse.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,275283.0.html

Hopefully I Get back this week with the SE.

also
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,341567.0.html

the '19 wheat here, and the bracelet came
from one. Need to get here soon with the SE,
before the Grow
starts, & My permit needs renewel.
Hopefully they havn't Shut the road down yet.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

can't figure why so many people say there is no coins around 1 room school houses??

Who said "no" coins??????

Betcha ya gonna find a lot more relics than coins though. LOL

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldcoon said:
can't figure why so many people say there is no coins around 1 room school houses??

Who said "no" coins??????

Betcha ya gonna find a lot more relics than coins though. LOL
I am referring to more than just this post, I have seen several posts before where people say there is rarely coins around one room school houses. Here is what I have found.....IF the school is still standing you will not find a lot because everyone has hunted there.

BUT do your research, look at OLD maps and find the schools that were tore down 40-50 yrs ago and now are just farm fields, many of these are untouched and they yeild coins!

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used

Thanks for all the responses. I will be taking info from all of them on this quest. I am lucky enough to have this site less than 1 mile from my house and it has been hidden so long that I truly believe the landowner when told it has never been detected. The house itself was torn down back in the early 1900's. There is very little visible trash inside the foundation. Most trash there is newer, in the last 15-20yrs. I am going to start on this task in May so I will try to keep this post updated as/if I find items of interest. Thus far it has yielded a rusty old Victor leghold trap, a disc from farm equipment and a silver spoon head. I only spent a few minutes there and as stated, there was NO way to swing a detector...........yet. I will also take before/during/after pics of the site so you can all share this experience with me :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used

oh, and to add to the confirmation that it has been off limits, it sits between two of my father in law's farm fields by his house, and he said it has been heavily posted for the 25yrs that he's been there and he's never noticed any activity!!! :hello2:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've hunted an old school site that was torn down in the 40's and found nada, zip. Lots of trash though, from nails to pieces of steel gutter.

I can't believe many folks could remember where it was, but maybe some oldtimer told some MDer about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread