Cheap detectors over wet sand

EL Pirata Loco

Dec 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
RADIO SHACK 1000
I already know the main answer is "Get a better MD"..but at this point im just trying my cheap machine until the end of the year...but i would appreciate a pro that knows the technology/engineering to help me on this

I have a cheap MD, Bounty Hunter/Radio Shack 1000...i have under 10 hours of experience

Ok, i was curious to see if i can hear a bleep if i go over wet sand...a section of a sand bar that i saw surrounded by water...i swung my detector over a long section and it kept on beeping? Weird but im guessing that it has to be minerals on the sand bar. When i walked back to the regular soft sand...it acted normal again.

Why did it bleep all the time i went over the sand bar? How can i adjust for this? Im just curious...

AL

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco,

The only advice I can probably give you is to turn your sensitivity way down.

If it works, you'll reduce your search area to a couple of inches deep, but at least the constant chattering might stop.

That's the curse of the single frequency detector.

On the better side, it should just fine with normal depth in the dry sand.

Best of luck to you!

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It beeped constant because of the conductivity of the salt water. Any detector out there can detect in the dry sand. Very low mineralization there. But the wet sand and salt water is a different matter as you found out. You can adjust your sensitivity way down and turn your discrimination way up, but you are only going to find the shallowest of targets. That is if you can ever get your detector to stabilize in the first place. You ask me you are wasting your time. Stick to the dry sand. Sorry for being so blunt, but gold sinks quickly in the sand and you need a detector to go after it.

OP
OP
EL Pirata Loco

EL Pirata Loco

Dec 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
RADIO SHACK 1000
I do plan to make a bigger investment later in the year for a better detector..but for the time being i plan to just use it on dry sand. I use it mainly when the tide is low and my fishing dies off for a few hours.

Any tips to help me is greatly appreciate!! :read2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only thing you can do in the wet salt sand is turn the sensitivity way down, unfortunately your going to lose a lot of depth as goodmore says and with it you will lose most all the gold as gold sinks quickly..... To be honest you will be wasting most of your time there, you would better off hunting the dry sand till you have a better detector that can handle the salt minerals.....

Next time your there, do a test, take a gold ring, tie it to a STRONG piece of string and bury it 6-8 inches deep in the wet salt sand and see what you can hear....

Good luck....... :icon_thumright:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I used to own the exact same detector. That thing falsed like crazy on normal ground.

Talk about frustrating!!!! It hit a 'sure' target, but when I dug, there was nothing there.

Call Mike at Woodland Detectors when you are ready to buy.

He is the best around!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions