Land Hunting vs. Water Hunting

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I am considering expanding my hunting to the water. I live near several lakes. They say my detector is water proof: however, I am a little nervous about it. What do I need to consider before giving it a try? Any special tools or techniques that are different than hunting land?

Out of curiosity, how many of us are water only, versus land only, versus do both are out there?

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I know my coil is water proof but I know the box on mine isn't. I'm afraid I might drop it in the water.
I ran to Home Depot and got a Weed trimmer strap that will connect to the detector and have a strap to loop over my head......Just in case!

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I have that same fear! The strap is a great idea. Have you tried it yet? How successful is water vs. land?

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I have not done much more than stick the coil in the water yet so, not too much success.
I have a lady at work that has a Ring recovery job for me in 3ft of water but I have not had a chance to "practice up" for it. I want to get to a local beach but it's been hot and busy.

Every time I drive by daydream of all these people dropping good stuff. I'm hoping to get there when it's not SO dang busy, like maybe after school starts again.

the strap I mentioned is about perfect. It has a clamp with a wing nut that will be easy to put on and remove when needed. I think it cost $8-$10. now I wonder if I might need a longer sand scoop too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so you want to try water hunting with your land detector in fresh water lakes. Your coil is water proof, not your box. Get it wet and it's $$$ wasted. If your land detector can be hip mounted you are in luck and don't need to purchase a water detector, plus you know how yours works.

By hip mounting, I dont' mean around your waist, but hang in from around your neck while you wade. Hip mountable detectors have longer coil wires for this. If you have one of the machines with a display on top of the handle, NEVER raise the coil above the height of the box or water will run down the handle and fry the guts just like you stuck it under water.

You will need a long handled scoop of the stainless steel type at good price. Don't go cheap on the scoop or you'll end up buying many over the years. There are many good books on searching beaches and one great website is thegoldenolde.com/

Any more questions, ask away in the Beach & Shallow water forum.

Sandman

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Sandman is right....I have a White's XLT and DFX and was poking around my local lake a couple years ago with the XLT (up to the box in water), lifted the loop above the box, water followed the shaft down to the box and I was without a detector for 2 weeks (had to send it back to White's for a new curcuit board....which they unbelievably covered under warranty :o)

But....in the very short time I was doing it that day I got a 1918 Walking Liberty half and 3 Mercury dimes.....I would like to get a water detector someday as well....

HH all!
Greg

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
How deep are we talking, above the ankles, to the knees, what?

I tried at the water's edge, about an inch of water or so, and found a quarter. It took me twice as long as I am used to because I tried to use my regular shovel....rookie mistake.....I would dig up the sand and mud so I couldn't see anymore, re-pinpoint, and dig again..lose it in the wave, blah...blah...blah...NOW I understand why I need a SCOOP!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
what kind of detector do you have? And like some already said... a scoop is a necessity for water work. Also makes any kind of beach work a lot easier. Best advice on tips... go check out the beach and shallow water forum
steve

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I have a White's Classic ProScan 800. I have found quite a few rings the past few months. All silver except one lone gold ring.

Thanks, I will check out that forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions