Trouble pinpointing signals.

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
It might have a lot to do with me being a newbie to detecting, but I've found myself giving up on a few solid signals because I have difficulty trying to pinpoint the target once I flip the plug. Sometimes my plug ends up being too far foward of the signal and I end up missing whatever it could be. Other time it might be that the target is much deeper and off to the side, and the plug is not wide enough. I only have a 5-inch stainless steel trowell to work with right now. I found a few things so far though, mostly trash/junk and a few pennies and those were more or less in the hole when I flipped the plug.

Should I just keep at it, or maybe consider investing in a probe? I don't plan on giving up so soon.

Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely get a probe. It will dramatically improve your recovery time. The Garrett propointer is the cat's meow.
-Swartzie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out using a screw driver as a probe to touch the coin and then I just popped it out of the ground. Deeper coins meant I needed to cut a plug and unless I was off the grass I usually left it. I use a electronic probe now but your better off learning how to pinpoint with the coil by X'ing the target. Practice with coins on top of the ground.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
I started out using a screw driver as a probe to touch the coin and then I just popped it out of the ground. Deeper coins meant I needed to cut a plug and unless I was off the grass I usually left it. I use a electronic probe now but your better off learning how to pinpoint with the coil by X'ing the target. Practice with coins on top of the ground.

I WAS a die hard old-timer that thought those pinpointers were a waste of time for the unskilled.

I was soooo wrong. I broke down and bought one and love it! After 25+ years of detecting I still get the coin that's a tad off center from my pinpointing. Coin could be on it's side or the coil shifts when I bend down or a big clump of grass makes it hard to hit right on.
That probe has made my recovery a whole lot faster with less digging around the inside of my plug.

Al

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
I found out metal detecting here in Alaska that a lot of the coins and jewelry are between 1 to 3 inches down (maybe because this is still a fairly new state). So when I get a good signal it is usually pin point to the upper left with my coil and if it is a aluminum can that gives the same signal as a dime I typically find it aft of the coil after pin pointing. I finally got tired of finding soda cans (which seem to grow underground here) and broke down and bought my Pro pointer and if I get no signal that is detected with the pointer I don't dig. Now being at an old homestead will be an exception and then I'll dig any good signal. I don't know what detecter you have but hope this sounds like the same problem.

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
It sounds like to me that you need to set out some test targets and get used to pin pointing properly with your coil. Just keep going over you test targets and see where the target is in relation to your coil when you get the strongest signal from your coil. Read the manual for your detector several times. Good luck.

OP
OP
philinchio

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
After a few more outings I think I'm getting the hang of things more or less. Decided to try another spot along one of the older buildings on campus and kept getting lots of nice hits. Found a lot of trash/pulltabs but there were some cool relics and some pennies here and there. Most of my targets were either right in or around the hole or in the plug, so my pinpointing is getting better. Deeper targets are still an issue and I'd probably find the objects more easily with a pinpointer, but I'll keep at it with just the coil for now.

@05Duramax: I'm using a White's CoinPro.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Probes are great i won't leave home with out two on me. But the need to pinpoint with the detector is most important. Take a piece of cardboard 3ft sq tape a coin to the back toss in on the lawn where there's no signals try to pinpoint. push a pin thru and you'll learn in 5 minutes. Then do the same with the coin on edge takes longer. The longer you take to retrieve the target the lest targets you come home with.

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
im not sure if it is supposed to be like this or not, but my teknetics pinpointer only signals if i literally touch the target with it. it has a sensitivity knob, but the top half of the sensitivity is too sensitive so it is always buzzing. is this a problem with the pinpointer or is it working properly?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DevilDog812 said:
im not sure if it is supposed to be like this or not, but my teknetics pinpointer only signals if i literally touch the target with it. it has a sensitivity knob, but the top half of the sensitivity is too sensitive so it is always buzzing. is this a problem with the pinpointer or is it working properly?
It is working just like they made it. You need to replace it with a different brand. I can't help you with which brand because I only use inline probes from Sunray.

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Somewhere Beautiful......
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Don't give up. It is all about practice. Dig as wide and deep as you need to. You eventually get the swing of it.
Some ideas:
1. Having a Garett pro-pointer is always a good addition to the arsenal.
2. I love my vibra-tector 730. It is great for water, snow, ect.
4. Find or make a digging tool that suits your needs

Probably the best advice is to learn your detector. Create a test garden to check the depth and sounds.

Just some ideas I reckon?????

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Buried Crap NJ said:
Probes are great i won't leave home with out two on me. But the need to pinpoint with the detector is most important. Take a piece of cardboard 3ft sq tape a coin to the back toss in on the lawn where there's no signals try to pinpoint. push a pin thru and you'll learn in 5 minutes. Then do the same with the coin on edge takes longer. The longer you take to retrieve the target the lest targets you come home with.

What I've telling people for years. Get a variety of targets, some near to each other, some not. Learn what recovery/swing speed fits your rig for best ID as well. But most importantly, learn the pinpoint feature on your machine. Large piece of cardboard, lots of targets, learn to separate and pinpoint with it.

Remember to hold the coil several inches off the cardboard, about 6" above the targets will do. Glue, tape or whatever the targets to the other side so you can be sure they'll stay on and not move.

Rings will drive you crazy at first. But it's the best way to learn where the target is under the coil, the "sweet spot" as it's been called. Then get an awl, round the tip and use it and start out only digging the shallow targets, mostly junk and clad until you get some confidence in using your machine.

Once you know your rig, it's easier to go after the deeper targets. Of course then you will want that Garret Pro Pointer.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer/Probe is just another tool, if your the kind of person that likes to till a garden with a hoe, rather than a tiller or digging post holes with a shovel rather than a posthole digger than you don't need a pinpointer/probe ;D......If you like using the proper tools to get the job done quickly and efficently get a good pinpointer/probe. :icon_thumright:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DevilDog812 said:

Yup, I had several like that before I bought the Garret Propointer. Spend the dollars to get a pinpointed that really helps you find the target.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get some foam sheathing from lowes they have one thats 8' by 4' that folds in half
have a family member place a few coins any were inside the foam
try to pin point the coins when you think you have the coin centered push a straight pin into the foam
if you hit the coin great...if not you can see how far off you are
this makes for a great game to help teach or learn how to pin point
if you make a game out of it use copper washers with tape over the hole in the washer this way the pin will leave a hole in the tape
person closes to center gets the point

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmerg said:
get some foam sheathing from lowes they have one thats 8' by 4' that folds in half
have a family member place a few coins any were inside the foam
try to pin point the coins when you think you have the coin centered push a straight pin into the foam
if you hit the coin great...if not you can see how far off you are
this makes for a great game to help teach or learn how to pin point
if you make a game out of it use copper washers with tape over the hole in the washer this way the pin will leave a hole in the tape
person closes to center gets the point

Same thing with pieces of plywood, tape or glue various coins on 4'x8' or 18"18" or 12"x12" pieces of plywood, put them on different places on the plywood, not in the center, pinpoint them then mark them and turn them over to see how close you get....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread